Home > MileagePlus program > Use award miles > Upgrades overview > MileagePlus Upgrade Awards
Use your miles to upgrade and fly in a premium cabin.
Terms and conditions
- You can request upgrades online or by calling the United Customer Contact Center until 24 hours prior to departure. You will need your MileagePlus account number and PIN/password to complete the transaction. You can also request an upgrade starting 24 hours before your departure at most airports by checking with a United check-in counter representative or gate agent.
- You can request MileagePlus Upgrade Awards when flying on any fare class and for most fare types.* For most discounted fares, an upgrade co-pay fee will apply. MileagePlus Upgrade Awards cannot be used when flying on award tickets or deeply discounted promotional tickets.
- MileagePlus Upgrade Awards have limited availability and are subject to capacity controls.
- Miles and co-pay are deducted from your account at time of request or when you are placed on the waitlist.
- Waitlisting is permitted. Travelers placed on a waitlist are prioritized according to the Premier status of the traveler. If the request includes multiple travelers, then priority is based on the highest Premier status on the reservation. Waitlists are processed based on Premier status of the traveler, then fare class, then time of request. All waitlists expire 24 hours before trip departure.
- Standby is permitted. Waitlisted customers will automatically be added to the standby list upon check-in.
- If a seat is available, the upgrade will be confirmed at time of reservation. Waitlisted customers are confirmed automatically once a seat becomes available.
- MileagePlus Upgrade Awards may be requested at united.com or by calling the United Customer Contact Center.
- Open-jaw trips, stopovers and circle trips are permitted only in accordance with the rules of the fare purchased.
- Mileage accrual for MileagePlus and other participating loyalty programs will be based on the original fare class purchased.
- Flight changes are permitted in accordance with the rules of the fare purchased.
- MileagePlus Upgrade Awards have no cash value except for applicable taxes, fees and surcharges. Any associated upgrade co-pays will be refunded upon award redeposit and applicable fees may apply. If you cancel your MileagePlus Upgrade Award, miles and co-pay may be refunded for the applicable redeposit fee.
- Voluntary changes to your flight may require a new upgrade request.
- If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United BusinessFirst® and/or United Global First™, and none of the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
- The government may collect additional taxes for travel in the front cabin.
- Co-pay may not be applied to future travel and is subject to change without notice.
*Some restrictions apply. Call the United Customer Contact Center for complete details.