Use your MileagePlus miles for upgrade awards on Star AllianceTM carriers
As a valued MileagePlus member, you're able to use the miles you've earned for upgrade awards on many of our Star Alliance member airlines. Arrive at the airport relaxed and ready to enjoy all the benefits of your upgrade, from priority check-in and lounge access to a more personal level of service onboard. Upgrades are based on the availability of the operating carriers.
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are available for one-cabin upgrades and are valid for one nonstop flight. For information about the number of miles required for Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, view the Star Alliance Upgrade Awards chart.
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are valid on participating carriers only, and only on flights marketed and operated by the same airline.
- Star Alliance Upgrade Award availability is dependent on each carrier's upgrade availability.
- Upgrades are not guaranteed and may not be available on all flights.
- Not eligible on
- SAS – intra-Scandinavian flights and flights to and from Finland
- ANA – intra-Japan flights and flights operated by Air Japan
- Singapore Airlines – all A350, A380 and 777-300ER aircraft flights and D class (no longer eligible)
- SWISS – D class (no longer eligible)
- Upgrades on Copa Airlines must be requested as MileagePlus Upgrade Awards
- Upgradeable booking classes include Business class C and D and Economy class Y and B, as well as the additional fare classes listed below:
- Air Canada – O class
- Air China – J and G class
- Air New Zealand – E, U and O class
- ANA – J, Z, E and G class
- Ethiopian Airlines – G and S class
- EVA Airways – K class
- Lufthansa – J, E and G class
- SAS – S class
- Shenzhen Airlines – M and H class
- Singapore Airlines – S, Z, J and U class
- South African Airways – M class (domestic only)
- SWISS – J class
- Upgrade service classes
- Economy to Business (on carriers that offer only Economy and Business cabins on two-cabin aircraft)
- Economy to First (on carriers that offer only Economy and First cabins on two-cabin aircraft)
- Business to First (on carriers that have three-cabin aircraft)
List of participating carriers
- Adria Airlines
- Air Canada
- Air China
- Air India
- Air New Zealand
- Asiana Airlines
- Avianca in Brazil
- Brussels Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- Ethiopian Airlines
- EVA Airways
- Shenzhen Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- Turkish Airlines
Requesting a Star Alliance Upgrade Award
Requests can be made after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made at least 24 hours prior to departure to allow for the partner carrier to respond to the upgrade request. Request a Star Alliance Upgrade Award.
Requests may be made beginning 331 days before departure on most carriers, excluding those specified below:
- ANA requests must be made within 56 days (8 weeks) of departure.
- Ethiopian Airlines requests must be made within 56 days (8 weeks) of departure.
You may redeem miles to sponsor a Star Alliance Upgrade Award for up to four people who are traveling on the same itinerary. You do not need to be traveling with the passengers to request the Upgrade Awards and you can request upgrades for travelers with a different last name than yours.
If you plan to travel with a lap infant, please call the airline you are traveling with first. Some Star Alliance partners do not permit lap infants to travel in a premium cabin and if the infant is permitted, special ticketing may be required.