We’re proud to offer active duty U.S. military personnel on Permanent Change of Station (PCS) including retirement/separation orders, State Department Foreign Service Personnel (FSP) and their spouses certain benefits for transporting their pet dogs and cats while traveling on assignment between Guam and Honolulu.
Qualifying pets that meet all of our requirements, including the weight limit, will receive specialized handling through the United Military Pet Program, and we’ll give them a tag during check-in. With this process, you won’t need a third-party IPATA shipping agent or customs broker to clear your pet in customs, which helps you save on additional fees. We allow you to check your pet in at an airport check-in counter so it’s more convenient for your trip.
The military and State Department pet exception benefits don’t apply to military personnel who are on leave or traveling for leisure.
This pet travel policy only applies to travel segments and flights operated by United Airlines. The exception does not apply to United Express® flights, codeshare flights or flights operated by another airline. Your pet won’t be transferred automatically between airlines. United will not facilitate any animal transfers.
Advance reservations are required between 5 and 10 days before the day of travel. You can also watch this video for important pre-flight tips from American Humane to prepare your pet for a safe and comfortable trip.
If you have any questions, you can email the Military PetSafe desk at email@example.com.
Summary of requirements and rules for eligible military pet travel
- Booking must be made between 5 and 10 days before the day of travel.
- Booking must be made via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Passenger itinerary must be booked and presented at time of pet reservation.
- All documents listed below must be submitted at time of booking (space on flight will not be held if documents are not submitted):
- Health Certificate dated within 10 days of travel (owner name on health certificate must match name on PCS orders)
- Active PCS orders (name on PCS orders must match health certificate)
- Signed acknowledgement form (signature must be the same as name on PCS orders and health certificate)
- Limit of 4 pets per household accepted on flights from Guam to Honolulu (GUM to HNL)
- Limit of 2 pets per household accepted on flights from Honolulu to Guam (HNL to GUM)
- One time pet move per PCS orders (multiple trips not allowed). These must be your personal pets. Transportation of other people’s pets is strictly prohibited, and will result in refusal of ALL animals at time of tender.
- The combined weight of each pet and their transport crate cannot exceed 99.9 pounds
- Restricted breed embargos apply
- No GPS/tracking devices are allowed in or on pet crate.
Note: Upon arrival to Honolulu, United will deliver the pet(s) to local animal quarantine. United will not pick up pets from quarantine after arrival from another airline. United is not responsible for delivering pet(s) to other airlines for any connecting itineraries.
- Customer Acknowledgement Form
- Restricted Breed List
- Crate requirements
- Crate acclimation video