We require rabies and health certificates for dogs and cats traveling internationally on United. The rabies vaccinations must be completed at least 28 days before arrival in the U.S. for both dogs and cats. Any additional rules for traveling to the U.S. depend on whether or not you’re traveling from a country the CDC considers to be high risk for rabies. We closely follow CDC guidelines on these specific country requirements and recommend checking them to make sure you meet them at least two months before your trip.
If you’re traveling within the U.S. with your pet, we encourage you to get a certificate of health from your vet. Some destinations may request this certificate on arrival. It should include:
- Your name, phone and address
- Info about your pet, including breed, sex, age, color and markings
- List of recent vaccines, including names, dates issued and expiration
As long as your destination allows pets, you can take them with you on any flight operated by United or United Express. If you’re flying internationally, you’ll need to call 1-800-864-8331 to add a pet to your reservation. If you’re traveling on multiple airlines, including our partners, you’ll also need to check with each one to see what their pet policy is.
United does not allow pets to fly to, from or even through the below list of states and countries.
- Guam *
- French Polynesia (Tahiti)
- Hong Kong
- Marshall Islands
- Micronesia, Federated States of
- New Zealand
- Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan)
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- South Africa
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates (Dubai)
- United Kingdom
* You can bring a pet on flights from Guam to Tokyo-Narita. You cannot bring your pet on the flight back to Guam.
Where you can sit with your pet depends on the type of plane you’re on. Keep in mind that while you can only bring one pet with you, each plane limits the total number of pets allowed on the same flight.
Pet max per cabin Type of plane Up to 2 pets allowed in premium cabins Airbus 319
Up to 4 pets allowed in Economy Airbus 319
Up to 6 pets allowed in Economy Boeing 767
Please note, you cannot sit with a pet in an emergency exit row, a United Premium Plus seat, or in the front row of each cabin. Also, these guidelines are only for United flights. Contact us for information on United Express flights.
We do have pet exemptions for members of the U.S. military on permanent change of station and their spouses, as well as State Department foreign service officers and their spouses.
- On domestic flights, puppies and kittens must be at least 2 months old. On international flights, they must be at least 4 months old to comply with vaccination requirements.