Stay connected when you fly with United Wi-FiSM. It works with nearly any device (laptop, tablet or phone) and is available on most flights.
From pricing to actually using Wi-Fi on your flight, here’s what you need to know.
On U.S. domestic and short-haul international flights, like those to Mexico and Canada, Wi-Fi is $8, or 1,600 miles, for MileagePlus® members and $10 for everyone else. For all other flights, prices depend on where you’re headed and how long your flight is.
Even if you don’t pay for Wi-Fi, you can still activate free messaging and access united.com and the United app, including our entertainment options.
T-Mobile customers get free Wi-Fi
That’s unlimited Wi-Fi, texting and streaming for T-Mobile customers on domestic and international United flights. See plan details for eligibility
How to get (and use) Wi-Fi
If you’re on your phone or tablet, make sure you download the United app before boarding your flight.
After boarding, turn on airplane mode and connect to our Wi-Fi network.
Go to unitedwifi.com and use your credit card or miles to pay.
Browse the internet, send emails, or hop on social media until you’ve landed.
Flights with Wi-Fi
Whether or not your flight has Wi-Fi available depends on where you’re flying to, the plane you’re on and the service provider your plane uses.
Wi-Fi Day Pass
Want to buy Wi-Fi for the day rather than the flight? MileagePlus members can get a Wi-Fi Day Pass for their entire trip. Buy before you fly either during booking or by adding it to an existing trip in trip details.
Using your Wi-Fi Day Pass
Connect to our Wi-Fi network.
Go to unitedwifi.com after opening your browser.
Sign in to your MileagePlus account and follow the instructions.
Your Wi-Fi Day Pass will begin working one hour before your first flight of the day is scheduled to leave and expires 24 hours later. It’ll also cost the same amount it would to buy Wi-Fi for each individual flight during the 24 hour period.
Added benefit for MileagePlus Cardholders: You get 25% back on all United Wi-Fi subscription purchases, including Wi-Fi Day Pass.
Performance and usage:
- Use of United Wi-Fi is subject to the inflight Wi-Fi terms and conditions.
- A free Wi-Fi Day Pass provides a limited license to access United’s onboard network on Wi-Fi equipped United aircraft for one day.
- Wi-Fi Day Pass only applies to internet access on flights operated by United or United Express® that depart within the applicable subscription period and region. When using the internet on another airline, you will be subject to the other airline’s internet policies and fees.
- Streaming services are not included in your free Wi-Fi Day Pass.
- After the limited term has expired, the Wi-Fi Day Pass representing this license can no longer be used and has no value.
- Offer subject to change without notice.
- Operating bandwidth is not guaranteed for any level of service purchased and is dependent on several factors including but not limited to the number of internet users on the aircraft and the number of aircraft in the nearby area. Satellite coverage may experience outages for reasons such as government regulations, weather and switching between satellite regions. Aircraft equipped with DIRECTV® and 737 aircraft will only have satellite coverage within the continental United States. On two-cabin regional aircraft, internet availability is limited to the continental U.S. and Canada. Learn more about our coverage around the world.
- A Wi-Fi Day pass license may only be used by one passenger on a flight and on one device at a time. Free Wi-Fi Day Passes are not transferrable.
- The day pass licensee’s MileagePlus® number must be used when signing into the United Wi-Fi portal on board to use the day pass license.
- United reserves the right to amend, cancel or modify these terms and conditions and pricing at any time without notice.
- Day pass licenses may not be sold by anyone other than United. Any licenses sold by a party other than United are void, and United reserves the right to take any or all of the following actions in connection with a third-party sale or barter of a day pass license: 1) invalidate the license; 2) assess the traveler for the actual value of the services obtained through use of the license; 3) delete miles in the traveler’s MileagePlus account or take any other action permitted by the Rules for MileagePlus Program; and 4) take legal action against the traveler or third-party seller of the day pass license.
- Except as otherwise provided below, Wi-Fi day passes are non-refundable.
- Purchasers of Wi-Fi Day Passes may receive a refund if:
- The flight for which the day pass applies is canceled.
- The flight for which the day pass applies is changed so that the aircraft does not provide access to Wi-Fi.
- The Wi-Fi is not accessible for over 50% of time during the flights for which the day pass applies.
- If any of the above referenced events occur, refunds for Wi-Fi Day Pass purchases are processed automatically once travel is completed.
- Customers who are eligible to receive a refund for a Wi-Fi Day Pass purchase and who have not received the refund within two billing cycles of their scheduled flight departure can submit a request through united.com using the refund request form or by mail.
If you travel often, you may want to consider buying a Wi-Fi subscription. With subscriptions you can pay for a month or year of Wi-Fi usage in advance through your MileagePlus account. Prices start at $49, or 7,500 miles, a month.
How to buy a Wi-Fi subscription
Select your region of service. This can be just North America and Central America, or global.
You can buy your subscription using a credit card or miles.
On your flight, connect to our Wi-Fi network, go to unitedwifi.com and sign in to your MileagePlus account.
Your subscription can only be used on flights within the region you selected. You can change the region at any time in your MileagePlus account. It may also take 24 hours to process, so make sure you purchase it in enough time to use Wi-Fi on your next trip.
Added benefit for MileagePlus Cardholders: You get 25% back on all United Wi-Fi subscription purchases.
Purchase and usage:
- Subscriptions are nonrefundable and non-transferable.
- Subscriptions are valid for the term indicated on the receipt provided at the time of purchase of the subscription.
- The United Wi-Fi subscription only applies to internet access on flights operated by United or United Express® that depart within the applicable subscription period and region. When using the internet on another airline, you will be subject to the other airline’s internet policies and fees.
- Operating bandwidth is not guaranteed for any level of service purchased and is dependent on several factors including but not limited to the number of internet users on the aircraft and the number of aircraft in the nearby area. Satellite coverage may experience outages for reasons such as government regulations, weather and switching between satellite regions. 737 aircraft and aircraft equipped with DIRECTV® will only have satellite coverage within the continental U.S. On two-cabin regional aircraft, internet availability is limited to the continental United States and Canada.
- Streaming services are not currently included in your United Wi-Fi subscription. However, for a limited time, you may have access to streaming capabilities at no additional charge on select aircraft such as the Boeing 737 MAX 9. In the future, United reserves the right to charge an additional fee for access to streaming services.
- Use of United Wi-Fi is subject to the Wi-Fi terms and conditions.
- All United Wi-Fi subscription purchases are final and non-refundable. We don’t guarantee availability of Wi-Fi service onboard aircraft, therefore refunds won’t be provided for intermittent or non-functioning concerns.
- Subscriptions may only be used by the subscriber on a flight and on one device at a time. Your subscription is non-transferable and it is against our policy for your subscription to be used on a flight that you are not on.
- The subscriber’s MileagePlus® number must be used when signing in to the United Wi-Fi Portal on board to use the subscription.
- Subscription prices are subject to change without notice.
- United reserves the right to amend, cancel or modify these terms and conditions and pricing at any time without notice.
- MileagePlus reserves the right to establish or change eligibility criteria for using miles to purchase Wi-Fi or a United Wi-Fi subscription. Each member must have sufficient miles in his or her MileagePlus account to complete the transaction. Your miles will be deducted at the time of purchase. In the event that miles have not properly debited from your account at the time of redemption, miles can be debited by MileagePlus at any time. Miles redemptions may only be made from a single account per transaction. You may not combine miles from two or more accounts on a single transaction. No MileagePlus award miles will be awarded in connection with any transaction made using MileagePlus miles. Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program, including without limitation the Premier® program (the “MileagePlus Program”), which are expressly incorporated herein. United may change the MileagePlus Program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus Program at any time and without notice.
- Subscriptions may not be sold by anyone other than United. Any Subscriptions sold by a party other than United are void, and United reserves the right to take any or all of the following actions in connection with a third-party sale of a Subscription: 1) invalidate the Subscription; 2) assess the traveler for the actual value of the services obtained through use of the Subscription; 3) delete miles in the traveler’s MileagePlus account or take any other action permitted by the Rules for MileagePlus Program; and 4) take legal action against the traveler or third-party seller of the Subscription.
- Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. However, they will need to pay the difference in subscription fees if applicable.
- Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.
- A subscription is valid for one month or year, whichever is applicable, from the time it is purchased or changed.
- Any unused value from the previous annual subscription will be applied to the cost of the new annual subscription. For monthly subscriptions, no residual value will be applied to the new monthly subscription.
- Annual subscriptions will be automatically renewed 30 days prior to their expiration unless auto-renew is turned off.
- Annual subscribers will be charged for renewal 30 days prior to the subscription’s expiration to the form of payment on file at the price effective on that day.
- Subscribers who do not want to renew their annual subscriptions should cancel auto-renewal more than 30 days prior to the subscription’s expiration date in the My Account page.
- Monthly subscriptions will be automatically renewed on the date of expiration unless auto-renew is turned off.
- Monthly subscribers will be charged for renewal on the date of the subscription’s expiration to the form of payment on file at the price effective on that day.
- Gifts must be activated within 60 days of purchase. Gifts not activated within 60 days are automatically activated and expire one year from the date of activation for annual subscriptions and 30 days from the date of activation for monthly subscriptions.
- The subscription offer is made at United’s discretion and is subject to change or terminate at any time without notice.
On most flights, Wi-Fi is available from takeoff to landing.
Most flights don’t allow you to stream video through sites and apps like YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, or HBO. You can still access movies and TV shows through the United app.
However, you can stream video on the following planes: select Airbus 319, select Boeing 737s, including the 737 MAX 8 and 9, and Boeing 757-300s.
Voice and video calls are not supported on our onboard Wi-Fi.
Yes, you can connect to a virtual private network, or VPN, using our Wi-Fi network.
If you bought Wi-Fi, you can only use it on one device at a time. You can, however, switch from using Wi-Fi on one device to another if you bought the Wi-Fi through your MileagePlus account.
To make the switch, go to unitedwifi.com on your second device and select “Switch device”. Sign in to your MileagePlus account and your first device will automatically disconnect, and the new one will take over.
No, only you can use your Wi-Fi subscription. It also can only be used on one device at a time.
If you can’t connect to Wi-Fi we suggest first making sure both the plane and the device are Wi-Fi enabled. If they are, trying disconnecting and reconnecting from the network.
Sometimes service does get interrupted during a flight. If this happens, try relaunching your browser to solve the problem. Otherwise, your access will automatically resume once the network becomes available again.
We also monitor flights for low connectivity. If we detect you’re on one of those flights, we’ll refund you the next day. If you don’t get a refund you can also request one.
If you’ve bought a Wi-Fi Day Pass and your flight is delayed for an hour or more, your day pass expiration will be extended by that amount of time. If your flight changes to a different day because of a schedule change, your day pass will be transferred to the new date and time for your flight.
All you have to do is activate your gift. This will link your subscription to your MileagePlus account.
If you already have a subscription and are gifted one, you can add the gift value to your TravelBank. This can be used to buy a future flight or to make future subscription payments.
If you’re a T-Mobile or Sprint customer on an eligible plan you can access T-Mobile Wi-Fi on your flight.
You can text, surf the web, check email, scroll your favorite social networking apps, and stream video when available on select flights.
You won’t be able to make phone calls, including emergency calls and texts to 911, or be able to access short codes for account and phone information during your flight.
All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Put your device in airplane mode and make sure Wi-Fi is turned on.
- Connect to our Wi-Fi network and make sure Wi-Fi Calling is turned on.
- Go to unitedwifi.com or open our app.
- In the app you can choose “Wi-Fi and Entertainment” and then “T-Mobile In-Flight Connection”. Or, on unitedwifi.com you can select “Free W-Fi and Texting”.
- Enter your phone number and select “Activate”.