Advance reservations for in-cabin pet travel is required.
Request an in-cabin booking for your pet through united.com or by calling the United Customer Contact Center at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331).
United allows domesticated cats, dogs, rabbits and birds to travel accompanied in the aircraft cabin on most flights within the U.S. An in-cabin pet may be carried in addition to a carry-on bag and is subject to a $125 service charge each way. There is an additional $125 service charge for each stopover of more than four hours within the U.S. or more than 24 hours outside of the U.S.
In-cabin pet kennels
A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times. The maximum dimensions for hard-sided kennels are 17.5 inches long x 12 inches wide x 7.5 inches high (44 cm x 30 cm x 19 cm). The maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18 inches long x 11 inches wide x 11 inches high (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm). There may only be one cat or dog per kennel, and the animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably.
Trained service animals are allowed in-cabin to accompany qualified customers with disabilities. Service animal procedures differ from standard in-cabin pet procedures. Visit the Service Animals
section for more information.
Rules for international in-cabin pets vary. For additional assistance or information, or to book international in-cabin travel for a pet, contact the United Customer Contact Center
Restrictions based on aircraft, cabin and seat
- In-cabin travel for pets is booked on a space-available basis.
- A customer traveling with an in-cabin pet cannot be seated in the bulkhead or an emergency exit row.
- One pet per flight is allowed in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United BusinessFirst® and United Business® (select aircraft only).
- Pets are not permitted in United Global First, United First, United BusinessFirst or United Business on Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft due to limited storage space under the seat.
- Four pets per flight are allowed in United Economy® on all United flights.
- The number of in-cabin pets allowed varies by United Express® partner airline. For additional information about the operating carrier’s in-cabin pet policy, contact the United Customer Contact Center.
- Pets are not permitted on flights to, from or through Australia, Hawaii or Micronesia (including Guam).
- Pets are not permitted to travel with unaccompanied minors.
- Pets must remain in kennels with the door secured at all times while in the boarding area and on board the aircraft.
- The customer is responsible for complying with all applicable state and country entry requirements.
- Pets younger than eight weeks are not permitted.
- Pets must travel on the same flight(s) as the customers who are responsible for them.
- In the event of an emergency, oxygen service will not be available for pets.
- United’s in-cabin pet policy applies to flights operated by United and United Express only. For codeshare flights, please check the operating carrier’s in-cabin pet policy. If you are traveling on multiple airlines, please check with each carrier individually to ensure acceptance. United can only accept your pet for flights operated by United and United Express.