Use your miles to upgrade and fly in a premium cabin.
Request an upgrade
You can request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award while booking your flight or after booking your flight.
Request during booking
We encourage all MileagePlus members to request an upgrade while booking to confirm an upgrade right away (if available) and avoid the wait-list process.
When searching for flights, specify that you want upgrade availability displayed in the results by following these steps:
- Sign in to the MileagePlus account you want to use to request the MileagePlus Upgrade Award.
- In the "Book travel" tile on the united.com home page, select the "All search options" link.
- After entering your flight search criteria on the page, select "MileagePlus Upgrade Awards" from the "Upgrade type" dropdown. Select "Search."
- You will be presented with a list of flight options and an indication of whether a MileagePlus Upgrade Award is available for each flight. Simply select an option that has upgrade availability, and continue with your booking.
- At checkout you’ll be prompted to pay for your booking and provide any applicable miles and co-pay for your MileagePlus Upgrade Award. This process will confirm your upgrade request.
If none of the flights in your itinerary have upgrade availability, you can still book that itinerary and later request the upgrade(s) using the steps in the "Request after booking" tab. You will be placed on a waitlist that will be cleared as upgrades become available.
Request after booking
There are four ways to request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award after you have booked your flight.
- Option 1: Sign in with the MileagePlus account you used when booking your flight
Sign in to the MileagePlus account associated with your reservation.
In the "My trips" tile, find your flight and select "Manage." If you don’t see your reservation in the tile, you can enter your confirmation number and last name to search for the reservation. Or select the “View all reservations” link and then select "View" for the reservation you want to upgrade.
Select the "Redeem Upgrade" button under your reservation information.
Select the "Use Miles to Upgrade" tab, select the relevant flight and choose your preferred upgrade type. Click the “Upgrade” button and continue to complete your request.
- Option 2: For reservations made without a MileagePlus number, or for sponsoring/sponsored upgrades
If you were not logged in or did not submit a MileagePlus number when booking, or if you want to sponsor an upgrade or be sponsored:
- Select the "Change or view reservations" option under the “Reservations” tab on united.com. Enter the confirmation number and last name associated with the flight and click "Find."
- Select the "Redeem Upgrade" option under the reservation.
- Select the "Redeem Awards to Upgrade" tab, select the relevant flight and choose your preferred upgrade type. Click the "Upgrade" button.
- If you are not already signed in to a MileagePlus account, you will be prompted to enter the MileagePlus account information for the account you want to use to make the upgrade request. Continue to complete your request.
- Option 3: Request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award by phone
Premier® members can request MileagePlus Upgrade Awards by calling their status-specific service phone numbers. If you are not a Premier member, you can call United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) to make the request. There is no fee to make an upgrade request by phone for an existing booking.
- Option 4: Request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award at the airport
You can request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award starting 24 hours before your departure at most airports by seeing a United check-in counter representative or gate agent.