Use your MileagePlus miles for upgrade awards on Star AllianceTM carriers
As a valued MileagePlus member, you're able to use the miles you've earned for upgrade awards on many of our Star Alliance member airlines. Arrive at the airport relaxed and ready to enjoy all the benefits of your upgrade, from priority check-in and lounge access to a more personal level of service onboard. Upgrades are based on the availability of the operating carriers.
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are available for one-cabin upgrades and are valid for one nonstop flight. For information about the number of miles required for Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, view the Star Alliance Upgrade Awards chart.
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are valid on participating carriers only, and only on flights marketed and operated by the same airline.
- Star Alliance Upgrade Award availability is dependent on each carrier's upgrade availability.
- Upgrades are not guaranteed and may not be available on all flights.
- Not eligible on
- SAS – intra-Scandinavian flights and flights to and from Finland
- All Nippon – intra-Japan flights and flights operated by Air Japan
- Singapore Airlines – all A350, A380 and 777-300ER aircraft flights
- Swiss Air – D class (no longer eligible)
- Upgrades on Copa Airlines must be requested as MileagePlus Upgrade Awards
- Upgradeable booking classes include Business class C and D and Economy class Y and B, as well as the additional fare classes listed below:
- Air Canada – O class
- Air China – J and G class
- Air New Zealand – E, U and O class
- ANA – J, Z, E and G class
- Ethiopian Airlines – G and S class
- EVA Airways – K class
- Lufthansa – J, E and G class
- Scandinavian Airlines – S class
- Shenzhen Airlines – M and H class
- Singapore Airlines – S, Z, J and U class
- South African Airways – M class (domestic only)
- Swiss Air – J class
- Upgrade service classes
- Economy to Business (on carriers that offer only Economy and Business cabins on two-cabin aircraft)
- Economy to First (on carriers that offer only Economy and First cabins on two-cabin aircraft)
- Business to First (on carriers that have three-cabin aircraft)
List of participating carriers
- Adria Airlines
- Air Canada
- Air China
- Air India
- Air New Zealand
- Asiana Airlines
- Brussels Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- Ethiopian Airlines
- EVA Airways
- Scandinavian Airlines
- Shenzhen Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- Turkish Airlines
Requesting a Star Alliance Upgrade Award
Requests can be made after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made at least 24 hours prior to departure to allow for the partner carrier to respond to the upgrade request. Request a Star Alliance Upgrade Award.
Requests may be made beginning 331 days before departure on most carriers, excluding those specified below:
- ANA requests must be made within 56 days (8 weeks) of departure.
- Ethiopian Airlines requests must be made within 56 days (8 weeks) of departure.
You may redeem miles to sponsor a Star Alliance Upgrade Award for up to four people who are traveling on the same itinerary. You do not need to be traveling with the passengers to request the Upgrade Awards and you can request upgrades for travelers with a different last name than yours.
If you plan to travel with a lap infant, please call the airline you are traveling with first. Some Star Alliance partners do not permit lap infants to travel in a premium cabin and if the infant is permitted, special ticketing may be required.
Star Alliance Upgrade Award rules and Terms and Conditions
- Requests for upgrades can be made after you have purchased your ticket. Upgrades may be requested until 24 hours prior to departure. Your MileagePlus account number and password are required to complete the request.
- Upgrades are valid only on participating Star Alliance carriers. Codeshare flights not eligible.
- Star Alliance Upgrade Awards may not be requested when you travel on industry discount, agency discount, deeply discounted promotional tickets, award tickets using miles, or tickets purchased through Priceline and Hotwire where the airline is not disclosed until after payment.
- Some carriers may impose blackout periods where upgrades are not permitted.
- Star Alliance Upgrade Awards may only be requested for up to four passengers per reservation.
- Miles are deducted from your MileagePlus account automatically at time of reservation.
- Required mileage is per person.
- Each individual segment requires a separate Star Alliance Upgrade Award. For example, if you are flying on an eligible fare from Madrid to Frankfurt to London, two awards are required.
- Double upgrades from Economy to First are not permitted on three-cabin aircraft.
- Standby is not permitted.
- Waitlisting is not permitted.
- An upgrade may be confirmed as early as time of ticketing, if a seat is available.
- Mileage accrual is based on the original ticketed booking class, not the upgraded class of service.
- Requests for seat assignments, special meals and amenities should be made directly with the operating carrier.
- The number of miles required to upgrade is based on when the request is submitted and is subject to change.
- If you wish to make changes or cancel your Star Alliance Upgrade Award request, please contact the operating carrier.
- If a segment of your Star Alliance itinerary is canceled, the upgrade request will also be automatically canceled. Miles will be automatically redeposited 24 to 48 hours after the cancellation.
- Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are not available through general selling agents.