Home > About United > Career opportunities > Pilot positions
Thank you for your interest in United Airlines.
At United, we recognize that one of our greatest assets is our people. The rich diversity of ideas, experiences, cultures and lifestyles represented by United employees make it possible for us to give the best possible service to customers around the world. We offer everything you need to build the career you have always wanted. Your search for a great place to work ends here.
We are currently reviewing applications for first officer positions. Please submit your application at AirlineApps.com.
A United pilot is a member of the flight crew who is responsible for the safe, comfortable, on-time and efficient operation of the aircraft. A pilot flying as captain is the pilot-in-command and the final decision-making authority regarding the operation of the aircraft, although it is the responsibility of the first officer to contribute to the decision-making process. The captain represents United as the onsite leader responsible for the safety and welfare of the crew and passengers, while also promoting a favorable image of United in accordance with company policies.
Responsibilities of all United pilots
- Correctly assess the current and anticipated environment, and identify and anticipate operational threats or errors
- Exercise responsibilities in a manner that promotes teamwork, professionalism and mentorship
- Incorporate relevant information, develop operational strategies and choose the best course of action consistent with safe, reliable and efficient operation of the aircraft
- Exchange information, ideas and instructions in a timely manner
- Actively verify aircraft systems, position and configuration, and crewmember actions, and resolve inconsistency or uncertainty
- Effectively manage tasks to optimize overall performance
- Select appropriate level of automation for the situation and for every automation status
- Exercise sound judgment in the safe and efficient operation of the flight
- Operate in accordance with the Federal Aviation Regulations and company policies
In addition, the captain:
- Advises and mentors the first officer in accordance with company policy and procedures
- Acts as the inflight security coordinator
- Provides final decision-making authority as to the operation of the aircraft
In addition, the first officer:
- Acts as second-in-command in the operation of the aircraft
- Assumes the role of pilot-in-command should the captain become incapacitated
- Unrestricted FAA Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate with airplane multiengine class rating
- Current FAA first-class medical certificate
- FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RR)
Flight time requirement:
- Minimum of 1,000 hours of fixed-wing turbine time
- Current, valid passport
- Legal right to work in the United States
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university is preferred
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
We appreciate your interest and we encourage you to frequently check back with us for updates on our hiring needs.
For other job opportunities within United Airlines, please visit united.jobs.
Aspiring airline pilots, please see our opportunities for current students.