While Basic Economy fares have some important, additional restrictions compared to standard Economy fares, customers will enjoy the same United Economy® cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi and inflight entertainment. However, the following differences do apply:
- Automated seat assignments will be given at check-in, and passengers acknowledge at the point of a multi-seat purchase that seating together is not guaranteed.
- Carry-on bags are limited to one personal item, unless the customer is a MileagePlus® Premier® member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star AllianceTM Gold member.
- There will be no voluntary ticket changes except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
- MileagePlus program members will earn redeemable award miles; however they will not earn Premier qualifying credit (miles, segments, or dollars), no lifetime miles, and no contribution to four segment minimum.
- Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus® or premium cabin upgrades.
- Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless a MileagePlus Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance Gold member.
- No combinability with regular Economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
Booking a Basic Economy ticket
Basic Economy fares will be available in select markets, which are subject to change. When Basic Economy is available, it will be displayed as an option on the flight search results page on united.com along with the rest of our ticketing and seating options. You'll be able to book Basic Economy tickets the same ways that you book other United tickets, including through united.com, the United app, the United Customer Contact Center, a travel agency or other online booking tools.
You're allowed to bring a small personal item on board, such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item that is 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less. Full-size carry-on bags are not allowed unless you're a Premier member, a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or a Star Alliance Gold member. Basic Economy fares have the same checked baggage policies as regular Economy tickets.
MileagePlus member benefits and earnings
You will still earn award miles based on the fare and your MileagePlus status. You will not earn Premier qualifying dollars, Premier qualifying miles, Premier qualifying segments or lifetime miles, or earn toward the four-segment minimum.
In the air
We know that having options is important to your travel experience. Basic Economy customers can enjoy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-FiSM and more, with availability depending on the flight.
United Travel Options
When booking Basic Economy, you can still personalize your trip with most United Travel Options™ packages. Enjoy added convenience with Baggage Delivery and access to United ClubSM locations — and you have the option of protecting your booking with FareLockSM or trip insurance. If you have an eligible itinerary, you can also buy more miles with the Award Accelerator® program, but Premier AcceleratorSM miles will not be available.
Traveling with a group
When you choose a Basic Economy ticket, your seat will be automatically assigned at check-in, with no opportunity to change it. Based on when seats are assigned, we're not able to guarantee that travelers on the same reservation will be seated together. If there are people in your group who need to sit together, this fare may not be the best option for you.