Rules for the MileagePlus Program
Important: The following provisions form the basis of the MileagePlus® Program. These provisions are intended to protect you, the members of the MileagePlus Program, and United Airlines and its affiliates (collectively, "United"). Your participation in the MileagePlus Program will be governed by these provisions, and it is your responsibility to read and understand all of them. For more information, contact the MileagePlus Service Center or visit the MileagePlus website at mileageplus.com. Any reference herein to United shall be deemed to also refer to MileagePlus Holdings, LLC.
- Membership and benefits in the MileagePlus Program, including the Premier Program, (the “Program”) are offered at the discretion of United Airlines and its affiliates, and United has the right to terminate the Program and/or the Premier Program or to change the terms and conditions, rules, regulations, policies and procedures ("Program Rules"), benefits, conditions of participation or mileage levels, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice, even though changes may affect the value of the mileage or certificates already accumulated.
1a. United may, among other things, withdraw, limit, modify or cancel any award; increase the mileage, cash required, applicable co-pays or number of certificates required for any award; modify or regulate the transferability of awards or benefits; add an unlimited number of blackout dates; or limit the number of award seats available to any or all destinations. Members, in accumulating mileage or certificates, may not rely upon the continued availability of an award or award level, and members may not be able to obtain all offered awards or use awards to all destinations or on all flights.
- Membership and participation in the Program is subject to any Program Rules that United may, at its discretion, adopt from time to time. The terms of the Program Rules control your membership and participation in the Program and no covenants at law or in equity shall be implied or incorporated. United has the sole right to interpret and apply the Program Rules. Any failure to follow Program Rules, United's contract of carriage, United's fare rules, any abuse of Program privileges, any violation of law, rule or regulation, any conduct detrimental to the interests of United, any fraudulent activity or attempted fraudulent activity, or any misrepresentation of any information furnished to United or its affiliates by any member, or anyone else acting on the member's behalf, may result in the termination by United of such member's membership, the loss or cancellation of accrued mileage, certificates, awards or benefits, or both, or the loss of other Program benefits. Terminated members shall not be eligible to participate in any aspect of the Program, and members whose accounts have been terminated shall not be eligible to enroll with new accounts.
- United reserves the right to audit any and all MileagePlus accounts at any time to ensure compliance with the Program Rules, without notice to the Program member. During the course of an audit or investigation a member's account information may be shared with any third party with whom United has contracted to assist in performing such audit or investigation. In the event that an audit reveals discrepancies or possible violations, United may delay the processing of award redemption requests, cancel any outstanding award redemptions, withhold statements or suspend the MileagePlus account of a member pending completion of the audit. While the account is suspended, the member may continue to accrue miles in the account, but no mileage redemptions or other transactions will be permitted and any outstanding award redemptions will be cancelled. Cancelled award redemptions must be surrendered to United upon United's request. Upon completion of the audit, if a discrepancy or violation has been determined by United, in addition to any other remedies described herein, mileage may be removed from the account of the member to remedy such discrepancy or violation with or without notice to the member.
- Each member shall be responsible for remaining knowledgeable as to the Program Rules and the amount of mileage in such member's account. United shall attempt to advise active members of various matters of interest through such means as may be appropriate, such as account summaries, emails, newsletters and its website, but United shall have no liability for any failure to do so. United will not be responsible for correspondence lost or delayed in the mail. Each member shall be responsible for advising United of any change of address, and United shall have no liability for misdirected mail or any consequences thereof. The most current Program Rules may be found on mileageplus.com and this is the final authority on the Program Rules.
- The accumulation of mileage or certificates and the redemption of awards are subject to specific Program Rules enacted by United. Each member is responsible for reading those materials in order to understand such member's rights and responsibilities under the Program. No mileage, benefits, certificates or awards earned or granted under the Program may be transferred or assigned except as expressly permitted by United in writing or under programs fully authorized and/or sponsored by United.
- The MileagePlus Program is maintained for the benefit and participation of individual or small business members only. Only individuals and small businesses are eligible for MileagePlus membership, and each individual or small business member may maintain only one account in the Program. Duplicate accounts in the Program will be subject to cancellation and only the applicable credited mileage, excluding any enrollment or other bonus, will be transferred to any remaining account. Only one member may be enrolled per Program account. Program membership account numbers are nontransferable. Only the member named on the account will be entitled access to account information. Account information is United's proprietary information and members may access information only for the purpose of obtaining information about their account. No member may delegate or grant access (via power of attorney, contract, or otherwise) to a third party. Account information may be reproduced for use by the applicable member but must contain copyright and proprietary notices and redistribution in any way requires United's written permission.
- Accrued mileage and certificates do not constitute property of the member and are not transferable other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United.
Prohibition of sale or barter
- The sale or barter or attempted sale or barter of any such mileage, certificates, awards or benefits other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards or benefits transferred, assigned or sold in violation of the Program Rules, in addition to exposing the member to the penalties otherwise associated with violations, may be confiscated or canceled. The use of award tickets that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other conduct in violation of Program Rules may result in termination of membership, cancellation of accrued mileage, certificates, awards or benefits, confiscation of the tickets, denial of boarding with respect to the ticket holder, and, at United's discretion, completion of the travel only upon payment of an applicable fare.
- Any member who has failed to earn mileage for a calendar month may, at United's option, be excluded from receiving newsletters, statements, correspondence or other materials, including notifications of Program changes or special promotions, until the next quarter in which such member earns mileage.
- Any member who fails at any time to engage in account activity for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months is subject to termination of such member's membership and/or forfeiture of all accrued mileage as of the last day of the 18th month. Activity includes (without limitation) earning flight miles on United or earning or redeeming miles with a MileagePlus partner (as defined in Rule 12), redeeming miles for award travel, buying miles or transferring miles.
- "Account Activity", for purposes of these rules, shall be deemed to occur when a member accrues mileage in such member's account in any manner as outlined and set forth in these Rules, or as otherwise approved by United, or when the member redeems any MileagePlus or partner award by the use of mileage in the member's account. In cases where mileage is for any reason removed from an account, as for example the redemption of an award, and there is a subsequent cancellation of the award or removal of miles and a return of the miles to the member's account, the cancellation of the award or removal and return of the mileage to the account shall not qualify as "Account Activity."
- The MileagePlus Program "partners" include airlines, rental car companies, hotels or other entities who offer products or services as awards in the Program and who permit the accrual of mileage to members who utilize their products or services. The partners are independent entities, and United is not responsible for the nature or quality of products or services provided by those partners, nor for any solicitation efforts by those partners. Mileage accrual offered to Program members for utilizing a partner's product or service can vary based upon the type of membership and details on specific partner offers are as published.
- United shall have no liability for partner withdrawals from the Program or for award changes or cancellations caused by partner withdrawals, discontinued United or partner service, or award or mileage accrual cancellations for any other reason. United may change the amount of mileage required for partner offers or awards or impose other restrictions upon the use of partner offers or awards, with or without notice.
- Routing and destinations for award travel on airline partners are determined by our individual travel partners.
- Miles will be accrued in such member's MileagePlus account only when the member avails themselves of the means of accrual recognized under the Program. Members may not accrue mileage for the utilization of services by anyone other than themselves, whether air transportation or otherwise, except to the extent that mileage may be earned for purchases made through authorized debit or credit cards or as expressly allowed under the applicable MileagePlus partner's offer.
16a. United, in its sole discretion, may permit MileagePlus individual members to credit mileage earned for flights on other airlines to their individual MileagePlus accounts, and other airlines or entities may, by agreement with United, permit their program members to credit to their accounts mileage earned for flights on United. In such cases, unless otherwise expressly provided, such mileage may be credited in only one frequent flyer or loyalty program.
- Members must supply a PIN and/or password when conducting certain transactions in writing, by phone or on the Internet for security or other purposes. A PIN and/or password may be required to make reservations, redeem miles, change address and other services. Members are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of their PIN and password, as applicable. United is not responsible for stolen PINs or passwords and will not re-credit miles for redemptions using the member's PIN or password.
- Mileage can be accrued only after the member's official enrollment date, and can be applied only to the member's account.
18a. In the case of air travel, mileage will be credited only for flights actually flown by the member. Such mileage will be credited in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Program in effect at the time of travel, not at the time that air travel is purchased, booked or reserved. Mileage credit will not be awarded for flight cancellations. United expressly reserves the right to establish additional means of accruing mileage, to delete or modify any or all of the means currently recognized or to exclude specific types of transactions or tickets from the accumulation of mileage, in each case, with or without notice.
- Mileage for air travel may be accrued only for paid travel on regularly scheduled flights.
- If United or any MileagePlus partner improperly denies a member an accrual or benefit, liability will be limited to the equivalent of that accrual or benefit.
- Class-of-service bonus miles, if any, will be credited according to the fare paid, not the cabin flown, and will not be credited on any upgrade.
- Air mileage will not be credited for award travel, including tickets issued as MileagePlus awards and tickets purchased using a combination of miles and money; on travel industry or reduced tickets; consolidation tickets; or on tickets which are issued subject to any accumulation of MileagePlus credit. In addition, some fares or tickets, including those sold over the Internet, at United's discretion, may be excluded from eligibility for mileage accrual.
- Car and hotel mileage will be credited only for qualifying published rates, and not for special promotional accommodations, rentals or tickets, industry discounts, group rates or special promotional rates. For hotel and car rental mileage accrual, consecutive night stays or consecutive car rentals at the same hotel/car rental agency will be considered as one stay/rental, regardless of the number of check-ins or rentals.
- Only the member associated with the MileagePlus account number which is used with partner transactions may receive mileage credit for partner services.
- United reserves the right to make bonus miles and promotional offers by United or MileagePlus partners selectively available to certain members at any time, based on flight activity, geographic locations, Program participation, or other factors determined at United's sole discretion.
- United will, in most cases, credit its members' accounts with accrued mileage. However, each member shall have the responsibility to ensure that such member's mileage is properly credited. Where a member contends that mileage has been earned but not credited, or in cases where United deems verification is required, United reserves the right to require proof of accrual from the member, including but not limited to copies of ticket coupons for flights claimed to have been flown or copies of receipts or similar documentation verifying any transactions claimed to have been performed. Any claims for mileage by the member and proof of accrual must be received by United within twelve months after the date such mileage was claimed to be earned. Certain partners may have valid retro-credit claim periods that differ. Please check mileageplus.com for details.
26a. Each member shall have the responsibility to notify United of any erroneous or fraudulent mileage deduction from such member's account within twelve (12) months of the date of the deduction. United will review such member's claim and reserves the right to require proof, documentation or certification from such member during the review. Crediting back to such member's account the miles claimed to be erroneously deducted will be determined by United in its sole discretion after review and United's decision will be considered final.
- Mileage accrued in a member's account shall be maintained in the account until it is redeemed for an award or until it expires, whichever occurs first.
- Mileage accrued shall only be subject to expiration on the last day of the eighteen (18) months after the last account activity in the member's account. Activity includes flying, using your MileagePlus credit card and more (see rule 10). In cases where mileage is for any reason removed from an account, such as for the redemption of awards, and later returned, the return of the mileage to the account shall not count as account activity.
- The awards available to be redeemed and the amount of mileage necessary to redeem each award will be set by United and published to the members. United shall establish the process for award redemption, but redemption shall basically mean the exchange of mileage in a member's account for a specified award.
- Awards may, at the request of the member, be issued by MileagePlus in the name of the member or in the name and for the use of any other person. Such awards will be issued only after a member validates their account via use of PIN, password or other security measures that United has in place at the time of the award request.
- Mileage earned in two or more different accounts may not be combined to redeem any award.
- Travel on MileagePlus award tickets will be subject to the tariff, contract of carriage, ticket terms, and re-accommodation policies of the carrier on which travel is scheduled.
32a. Redemptions of any non-air awards will be subject to the additional terms and conditions associated with redemption of the applicable award, including any terms or conditions established by the partner that is providing any such non-air award.
- After an award ticket is issued, a service charge may be imposed for each change requested by the member that necessitates the reissuance of the ticket. See award ticket fee chart for applicable fees.
33a. After any award, other than an air award, is issued, a service charge may be imposed for each change requested by the member, which necessitates the reissuance, adjustment or cancellation of the award.
- Award tickets, awards and certificates may be subject to applicable departure taxes, federal inspection fees, passenger facility charges and other fees, charges or taxes, and the person utilizing the award is responsible for the payment of any such items that may apply.
- Any valid unused award ticket or certificate may be returned to MileagePlus for a service charge. The mileage used to redeem the award will be credited to the member's account and be subject to expiration (see rules 10 and 28). When a reservation is made or non-air award is redeemed but then is subsequently cancelled or returned in accordance with the Program's applicable rules at that time, recrediting of the member's award miles taken in connection therewith will be subject to a service charge. Any return of mileage to the account shall not constitute account activity. For purposes of clarification, some award tickets may not be eligible for recredit of miles and will so state.
- The award structure is subject to modification, cancellation or limitation at United's discretion, with or without notice. The amount of mileage required to redeem any award may be substantially increased, any award may be withdrawn, and restrictions on any award or its redemption may be imposed at any time.
36a.The accumulation of mileage does not entitle Program members to any vested rights with respect to any awards or the Program. Awards for air travel shall be valid only to destinations served both at the time of the issuance of the award ticket and at the time of departure, and neither United nor its partners shall be liable for schedule changes that result in the cancellation of service to any destination. If a member fails to comply with any published award rules for air travel, at United's sole discretion, such member may be accommodated on a different flight than originally selected, seated in a lower class of service, denied ticketing or boarding, or be subject to other action as provided herein, and such member will not be entitled to compensation in connection with any such action.
- Upgrades will not be allowed on special promotional accommodations, rentals or tickets; industry discounts; consolidation tickets; group rates or special promotional rates.
- Membership and participation in the MileagePlus Program may be prohibited or restricted in some countries. Nothing in these Rules should be read to override or circumvent any such foreign laws.
Small Business Network Members
- Each member of the Program that is not an individual shall be subject to each of the rules set forth above. In addition:
39a. Each such member shall be a business that (i) is duly organized and validly existing in the United States under the laws of the jurisdiction of its organization and has 1,000 employees or less, and (ii) is enrolled in the MileagePlus small business network ("Small Business Network").
39b. Each Small Business Network member is responsible for ensuring that membership and participation in the Program complies with the applicable policies and practices of such small business. Any act of a Small Business Network member's owners, directors, officers, employees, agents or contractors shall be deemed to be an act of such member.
39c. Notwithstanding the prohibition in Rule 6 above regarding delegating or granting access to third parties, Small Business Network members may participate in the Program by means of an authorized representative of the business. The authorized representative of the business shall be the individual designated by the member as its primary contact.
By participating in the Program, each member represents that the individual designated as its authorized representative has been duly appointed and authorized as such and that the authorized representative of the business is at least eighteen (18) years of age. Each member shall be responsible for ensuring they record and maintain account information in such manner so as to comply with the policies and practices of their business. Requests for changes to a member's account, such as a change of the authorized representative, will not be honored without the member satisfying established requirements for account validation.
39d. In addition to the restrictions in Rule 7 above, none of accrued mileage, certificates or awards are transferable as part of a transfer of or assignment by a business.
39e. A Small Business Network member providing mileage awards to its employees for employee recognition or incentive purposes, as opposed to wages or compensation for services, shall not constitute a violation of Rule 8 above.
39f. Small Business Network members are not eligible to accrue mileage for flight activity.
39g. Miles may not be accrued by the Small Business Network member's account and any individual member account(s) (including any member account of such Small Business Network member's owners, directors, officers, employees, agents or contractors) for the same qualifying account activity, except as expressly allowed under the applicable MileagePlus partner's offer.