Home > Contact us > MileagePlus > Name changes
To request a change in the name on your MileagePlus account, select an option and follow the steps below. Please note that to comply with the TSA Secure Flight program, the name on your MileagePlus account should exactly match the government-issued ID that will be shown at the airport.
Simple name changes or corrections
The following are considered simple name changes and are permitted without supporting documentation.
- Correct the spelling of a first name (e.g., Sarah to Sara)
- Correct the spelling of a last name (e.g., Philips to Phillips)
- Change a name to or from a nickname (e.g., Bob to Robert, Elizabeth to Liz)
- Change or correct a prefix or title (e.g., Miss to Ms., Mstr. to Mr., Ms. to Dr.)
- Add or delete a middle name or initial (e.g., John Richard Ennis to John R. Ennis)
- Correct inverted first and last names (e.g., McCormack Charles to Charles McCormack)
Significant name changes
To ensure the security of your MileagePlus account, all other name changes must be in writing and include a copy of one of the following supporting legal documents:
- Marriage license
- Divorce decree
- Legal name change document
- Government-issued identification reflecting both your former and current names
Alternate Name Affidavit Option: If you are unable to provide one of the documentation options above, you may submit a Name Affidavit outlining your name change, along with a copy of your government-issued identification. To request a name change using a Name Affidavit, print the Affidavit and mail the notarized document to the address below.
MileagePlus Service Center
P.O. Box 1394
Houston, TX 77251-1394
Name Affidavit PDF (91KB)
How to request a name change
United® and MileagePlus® reserve the right at their discretion to require written legal documentation for any name change request received (including marital status, military titles, titles and suffixes, nicknames, hyphenated names to any of its variations, inverted name changes, misspelled names, etc.).