Executive Diversity Council
United’s Executive Diversity Council consists of officers and senior leaders from various groups within the company, who are committed to acting as champions of Diversity and Inclusion. The Council provides executive oversight, guides Diversity and Inclusion strategy, establishes objectives and monitors progress toward goals.
Diversity and Inclusion engagement events
We recognize that our employees have been shaped by a variety of backgrounds, experiences, cultures and values. To affirm our commitment we actively host events, festivals and celebrations across our network to link awareness with personal and professional development, employee engagement, and knowledge and understanding of the various dimensions of diversity.
We organize extensive programming for the following celebrations:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Parades (January)
- Black History Month (February)
- Women’s History Month (March)
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (May)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month (June)
- Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15-October 15)
- Diversity Awareness Month (October)
- Disability Employment Awareness Month (October)
- Native American Heritage Month (November)
Business Resource Groups (BRGs)
To help advance our goals for Diversity and Inclusion, United supports employee-run BRGs. Each group increases awareness and understanding of cultural issues while nurturing United’s diverse talent, enriching the airline’s organizational culture, volunteering in the local community, and contributing to company performance.
United employees have formed the following groups:
- LGBTA, "EQUAL" - EQUAL@united.com
- Multi-Cultural, "UNITE" - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veterans, "United for Veterans" - email@example.com
- Women, "uIMPACT" - uIMPACT@united.com
Community and business partnerships
Appreciating United’s position as a global airline, serving customers and employees of diverse backgrounds, we partner with a variety of organizations that share our values. These partnerships provide opportunities for strategic collaboration, educational programming and joint marketing.
Our partnerships include:
- Official Airline of the 2014 Gay Games
- Official Airline of Equality Illinois
- Wounded Warrior Project
- International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association
- Open Doors Organization
- Chicago Urban League
- Asian Art Museum – San Francisco
- DuSable Museum of African American History – Chicago
- San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus
- Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS – New York City
- Bering Omega Community Services – Houston
- Fisher House Foundation
- National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts
- California African American Museum
- National Disabled Veterans Winter Sports Clinic
- Frameline Film Festival – San Francisco
- Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund
- Ride 2 Recovery
- Teen Living Programs – Chicago
- The GEANCO Foundation
- Veterans Advantage
Human Resources policies and training
Supporting diversity and becoming an inclusive organization require regular and consistent education, and United is committed to providing its employees with the tools necessary to succeed. The Diversity and Inclusion team collaborates with different divisions to develop programming that communicates United’s commitment to inclusion and trains employees on how to effectively work with diverse colleagues. Training employees is only one part of our Diversity and Inclusion strategy; we hold our employees accountable for supporting co-workers and forming inclusive work groups. By clearly stating expectations and instituting policies that support all employees, we ensure that all members of the United family understand and exhibit our Diversity and Inclusion values.
When you have operations and employees across the globe, the notion of Supplier Diversity holds an entirely new meaning. United recognizes the profound impact that a supplier diversity initiative can have on the customers and communities we serve and continually seeks out opportunities to build partnerships with diverse suppliers. For additional information, please visit our Supplier Diversity Program page.