Home > Redeem a certificate
Electronic certificates may be used for travel on United- and United Express®-operated flights, and United Express-marketed flights operated by other airlines.* Certificates are not valid for travel on Star AllianceTM flights or United-marketed flights operated by other airlines. If you have an electronic certificate or a discount code for a travel certificate, please select one of the options below for instructions.
*Electronic certificates cannot be combined with other travel certificates with promotion code "TCVA" or travel certificates that represent a form of payment.
- Certificates/discount codes for travel certificates, with promotion code "TCVA"
- On the united.com home page, enter the origin, destination and travel dates. Select the "Search" button.
- Choose your flights and enter your contact information.
- When you reach the Payment information page, select "United payment types." You will see an option to redeem a gift certificate or travel certificate. Enter your certificate number or PIN and the issuer's last name and select "Apply."
- Select the "Purchase" button to finish booking your flight.
Please note that gift certificates cannot be used toward non-ticket purchases, including but not limited to Economy Plus®, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM and Personal Miles®. If you would like to purchase these products, you must first finish booking your flight with your gift certificate or travel certificate and then sign in to your MileagePlus account or enter your confirmation number and last name at the bottom of the Manage Reservations page to make additional purchases.
- All other electronic certificates
- On the united.com home page, enter the origin, destination, travel dates and any other search criteria. Select the "All search options" link.
- Enter your offer code, plus the PIN provided, in the "Promotions and certificates" field. Please do not include any spaces. (Example: 15XXXX123JX45K6) Select the "Search" button.
- In your search results, flights displaying "Special offer" are eligible for your discount. The price shown is the discounted price.
- Choose your seats and book your flights.
United no longer issues or accepts paper certificates. If you are holding a paper certificate previously issued by United, you may exchange it for an electronic certificate by following the steps below. This will enable you to redeem your certificate online or over the phone.
To exchange your paper certificate:
- Go to united.com/papercertificate
- Enter your personal details and paper certificate number.
- Upload a copy of your paper certificate or mail it to the address provided.
Requests will take up 72 hours to process once received. An email with electronic certificate redemption instructions will be provided after your paper certificate is verified.
Please note that United no longer accepts paper certificates for ticketing at airport locations.