Home > Travel information > Special travel needs > Customers with disabilities > Onboard medical oxygen
United does not provide onboard medical oxygen except on flights between Guam (GUM) and Micronesia and flights between Guam (GUM) and Honolulu (HNL). Customers may carry on board and use their own portable oxygen concentrators for all other flight segments.
If there is any question as to a customer's ability to travel the duration of a flight without the use of medical oxygen, we may request documentation from a licensed medical physician to verify that the customer can complete the flight safely and without the use of medical oxygen.
Liquid oxygen is prohibited on United aircraft, unless it can be verified that the liquid oxygen unit is empty by way of a gauge or color indicator. An empty unit can be transported so long as the valve remains open for the duration of the flight.
In general compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.
There is an exemption stating that supplemental personal medical oxygen and other respiratory-related equipment and devices (e.g. nebulizer, respirator) are permitted through the TSA screening checkpoint once they have undergone screening.
Reservations for inflight medical oxygen
Effective November 11, 2011, United no longer accepts new reservations for inflight medical oxygen on any flights, with the exception of flights between Guam (GUM) and Micronesia and flights between Guam (GUM) and Honolulu (HNL).
We will honor all existing requests for inflight medical oxygen following our current procedures, even if these fall after the date of discontinuation, provided that these were booked on or before October 3, 2011.
Customers may continue to use FAA-approved portable oxygen concentrators (POCs). If you wish to bring a POC onboard, please see our Portable Oxygen Concentrators page.
Guidelines for requesting medical oxygen on flights to/from Micronesia
Advance planning is required to make oxygen arrangements when traveling to or from Micronesia. United accepts requests for inflight therapeutic oxygen anytime after the reservation is made, provided the request is made a minimum of 48 hours prior to travel.
Oxygen request information
- An oxygen setup is required for each flight. United provides inflight oxygen at a reasonable service charge per oxygen setup. Fees for setup are listed below.
- United provides inflight oxygen only. If you require oxygen during ground connections, please contact an oxygen vendor. We suggest you work with your physician to determine the most appropriate arrangements.
- For any flight on your itinerary serviced by another carrier, including United codeshare flights, please contact that carrier directly to request information on how to make oxygen arrangements. The United Customer Contact Center or your travel agent will identify these flights for you.
Oxygen setup fees
$100 USD per flight segment
To request oxygen, you must complete the following steps:
- Contact the United Customer Contact Center at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) in the U.S. or Canada, or your local United Customer Contact Center outside of the U.S. and Canada.
- Download and print the Oxygen request form (429 KB). Please note: You will need Adobe Reader (free download) to view and print the form.
- Complete the Passenger section of the form.
- Have your physician complete the Physician section. It is your physician's responsibility to sign and fax the form to United via the fax number provided.
Information included on the fax is confidential. Your physician's signature is United's authorization to administer oxygen in the prescribed amount. United retains the right to decline boarding to anyone that appears too ill to travel on his or her departure date.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the United Customer Contact Center at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) from the U.S. or Canada. If you are outside of the U.S. and Canada, please call your local United Customer Contact Center.