Home > About United > Global citizenship > Community involvement
At United, we believe in connecting people, inspiring creativity and engaging local communities to make a difference.
United is committed to serving the communities where our customers and co-workers live and work. As a global airline, we have the opportunity to use our unique resources to make a difference in our local communities. From promoting employee volunteerism to sponsoring global programs, United works to make a difference in many ways.
We focus our involvement primarily in our U.S. mainland hub locations where the vast majority of our employees and customers live and work. These hub locations include Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York/Newark, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
Our sponsorships are primarily made in one of three ways:
- in-kind donations (airline transportation certificates);
- volunteerism; and
- cash support, on a limited basis.
Begin the application process
Click on a category below to view additional information on proposals and eligibility.
- Information required for proposal submission and review
- Description of organization, event and/or activity
- Specific date of event and/or activity
- Location of event and/or activity
- Specific number of tickets, dollar amount, etc.
- Intended use of requested support
- Number of people attending event and/or activity
- Specific benefits to be provided to United in return for possible support (e.g. publicity, signage recognition, logo placement, advertising, etc.)
- Name, address, phone number and email address for primary point of contact
- Limitations on eligibility
To be eligible for a contribution, an organization must be a registered 501(c) (3) charitable organization recognized by the Internal Revenue Service. Other restrictions for organizations may apply.
Types of organizations that are not eligible:
- Organizations that benefit an individual or that serve only their own memberships
- Groups that discriminate or limit membership or employment based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, beliefs, class or cultural considerations
- Political organizations
- Fraternities and sororities
- Alumni associations
- Athletic teams and leagues as well as their booster organizations
- International organizations, unless they have a location within the U.S. and are incorporated in the U.S. as a 501(c) (3) organization
- Houses of worship operating under their Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Faith-based organizations that require participants or recipients to be of a certain faith
- Evangelical organizations
- Individual public or private schools
- Thrill sports
All requests must be made online no later than ninety (90) days in advance of the event date. Please allow a minimum of thirty (30) days for a written response. All responses will be sent by email only to the email address provided in your application.
While we wish we could support all of the thousands of worthy submissions we receive each year, the volume of requests is far greater than our ability to accommodate each one. We appreciate your understanding should your request be one that we are unable to support.