Our Premier status levels
The distance you travel, flight segments you take, and dollars you spend will help you achieve Premier status. These earnings are shown as Premier qualifying miles (PQM), Premier qualifying segments (PQS) and Premier qualifying dollars (PQD)1. Learn more about how to qualify
Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll need to reach each status level:
25,000 PQM or
30 PQS plus
Eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades
Complimentary access to Economy Plus at check-in
1 complimentary checked bag (70 lbs./32 kg)
miles earned on every flight
50,000 PQM or
60 PQS plus
Complimentary access to Economy Plus at booking
Star Alliance™ Gold status
2 complimentary checked bags (70 lbs./32 kg)
miles earned on every flight
75,000 PQM or
90 PQS plus
2 Regional Premier Upgrades
Complimentary access to Economy Plus for you + 8 companions
3 complimentary checked bags (70 lbs./32 kg)
miles earned on every flight
100,000 PQM or
120 PQS plus
6 Global Premier Upgrades and 2 Regional Premier Upgrades
1 free drink and snack in Economy
miles earned on every flight
Looking for details? Compare the benefits at each level.
Join the MileagePlus program today to start your journey to Premier status — members earn 5X miles for every flight.
MileagePlus Premier status offers an enhanced travel experience at every step
Looking for details? Compare the benefits at each level.See full benefits
Join the MileagePlus program today to start your journey to Premier status — members earn 5X miles for every flight.Join now
MileagePlus Premier status offers an enhanced travel experience at every step
Compare airport benefits at each level Benefit Silver Gold Platinum 1K Priority check-in available available available available Priority security screening, where offered available available available available Priority boarding Boarding Group 2 Boarding Group 1 Boarding Group 1 BoardingPre-board Complimentary checked bags in Economy, 70 lbs. (32 kg) 1 complimentary checked bag 2 complimentary checked bags 3 complimentary checked bags 3 complimentary checked bags 3 complimentary checked bags in premium cabin, 70 lbs. (32 kg) available available available available United Club℠ annual membership discount Not available Not available $50 discount $100 discount Access to most sold-out flights Y-class ticket, at least 24 hrs. before departure Y-class ticket, at least 24 hrs. before departure Y-class ticket, at least 2 hrs. before departure Y- or B-class ticket, at least 1.5 hrs. before departure Same-day flight change fees7 $75 Waived Waived Waived CLEAR® discounted annual membership $109 $109 $109 Waived
Compare in-flight benefits at each level Benefit Silver Gold Platinum 1K Complimentary Premier Upgrades (as early as) Day of departure 48 hours 72 hours 96 hours Complimentary access to Economy Plus or preferred seating Preferred seating at booking; Economy Plus at check-in At booking At booking At booking Complimentary Economy Plus for travel companions 1 1 8 8 Preferred seating for travel companions 8 8 8 8 Instant upgrades to the premium cabin on Economy tickets Y or B class fares Y or B class fares Y or B class fares Y, B or M class fares Regional Premier Upgrades Not available Not available 2* +2* Global Premier Upgrades Not available Not available Not available 6* 1 free drink and 1 snack in Economy Not available Not available Not available available
*Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades are available to members who have met all the requirements for Platinum or 1K status. Designated companions may not be eligible.
We’re introducing a new, innovative upgrade benefit in December, replacing Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades with PlusPoints. For more information, see mileageplusupdates.com
Earning and using miles
As a Premier member, you’ll earn extra miles for every dollar you spend on flights, making it even easier to save up enough miles for your award travel.
Compare benefits at each level while Earning and using miles Benefit Silver Gold Platinum 1K Earn 500 PQM, even if the flight is under 500 miles available available available available Extra miles per dollar on United®, United Express® and select partner airlines 7X fare6 8X fare6 9X fare6 11X fare6 No blackout dates for award flights on United and United Express available available available available Better award availability in Economy available available available available Better award availability in select premium cabins Not available Not available available available Priority award waitlisting available available available available Standby for international award flights available available available available
Support and customer service
Our Premier members receive special resources and perks, like a Priority Desk phone line for quick help when it matters most.
Compare customer service benefits at each level Benefit Silver Gold Platinum 1K Premier Priority Desk phone line Phone booking service fees $25 $25 Waived Waived Award travel change/cancel fees 61 or more days from departure $75 $50 Waived Waived Award travel change/cancel fees 60 or fewer days from departure $100 $75 $50 Waived Close-in award booking fee $50 $25 Waived Waived
Star Alliance partner benefits
Premier members also get Star Alliance Silver or Gold status, meaning you’ll enjoy recognition and benefits on all Star Alliance member airlines.9 And you’ll earn PQM1 and PQS1 when traveling to more than 1,100 destinations. Star Alliance Gold members also have access to the largest lounge network in the world. Learn more about lounge access.
Compare benefits at each level for Star Alliance partners Benefit Star Silver Star Gold Priority reservations waitlisting2 available available Priority airport standby3 available available Priority airport check-in3 Not available available Extra baggage allowance4 Not available available Gold Track (Priority Security and Immigration)5 Not available available Airport lounge access6 Not available available Priority boarding3 Not available available
- On eligible fare classes, which vary by Star Alliance member airline.
- Not permitted for Star Alliance award tickets.
- Where available.
- On eligible flights operated by United and United Express as well as most connecting travel on Star Alliance member airlines. Your eligibility depends on the airline you check in with (which is the airline operating your itinerary’s first flight). Please refer to each airline's bag policies for further information.
- To see where Gold Track (Priority Security & Immigration) is available, visit staralliance.com/gold-track
- The following rules and restrictions apply:
- When traveling on a Star Alliance member-operated flight, eligible Star Alliance Gold members (MileagePlus Premier 1K, Premier Platinum and Premier Gold) may visit designated Star Alliance member lounges. United Star Alliance Gold members may access any United Club only when holding a boarding pass for a same-day international Star Alliance member flight. United Star Alliance Gold members may access other Star Alliance member lounges before any departure on a Star Alliance member airline flight.
- Guests must enter with eligible Star Alliance Gold members (MileagePlus Premier 1K, Premier Platinum and Premier Gold) and must depart on a Star Alliance airline, though not necessarily on the same flight as the member. At some destinations, where no member carrier lounge is present, a contract lounge may be available. Star Alliance Gold members may access these facilities when traveling with a Star Alliance member airline that has an agreement with the contract lounge. The same rules and restrictions for member carrier lounge access apply to a contract lounge facility.
The benefits of Star Alliance Silver status and Star Alliance Gold status are subject to change and subject to the rules of Star Alliance.
Premier members enjoy exclusive offers through our partners, like complimentary elite status with Marriott Bonvoy™ and Hertz Gold Plus Rewards®. Many other partners offer preferred rates. Learn more about earning and using miles.
Compare benefits at each level through MileagePlus parthers Benefit Silver Gold Platinum 1K Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status Not available available available available Complimentary Hertz Gold Plus Rewards status Five Star Five Star President’s Circle President’s Circle United Cruises onboard amenities offer available available available available TPC® Network golf course benefits available available available available Mercedes-Benz incentives available available available available
Offers subject to change. Terms and conditions apply.
MileagePlus rules: The accrual of miles and Premier® qualifying credits, redemption of awards and provision of benefits through the United MileagePlus program, including the Premier Program, are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the MileagePlus program.
Terms and conditions
- The fare is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate and then calculate the number of miles you will earn. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. You will not earn PQD or award miles for the full amount of the displayed price for these itineraries because the U.S. Federal Transportation tax is not eligible to earn PQD or miles.
- Complimentary checked baggage allowance applicable only on United® and United Express® operated flights, and is determined by Premier status at time of check-in with United. To determine specific checked baggage service charges, please use the Baggage Calculator.
- Customers who do not receive complimentary Premier Access may have the option to purchase Premier Access for a particular flight. A Premier Access purchase includes priority check-in, security lane access (where available) and boarding, but it does not include priority baggage handling.
- Complimentary Economy Plus and preferred seating access is determined by the highest Premier status of the travelers on the reservation. Complimentary Economy Plus seating for travelers on award tickets is based on the traveler's status at booking for Premier Gold and above or at time of check-in for Premier Silver, rather than the status of the member whose miles were used to purchase the award ticket. Complimentary (and paid) access/upgrades to Economy Plus are not valid for tickets containing Basic Economy.
- Upgrades of any type are not allowed for Basic Economy fares or Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) fares. This includes Complimentary Premier Upgrades, Instant Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades, Global Premier Upgrades, PlusPoints upgrades, MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, and Paid upgrades.
- United Airlines reserves the right to exclude certain flights, fares, tickets, routes, products and/or programs from earning MileagePlus award miles and/or Premier qualifying credits. Learn more about earning miles on United flights.
- Flight changes are not permitted on tickets containing Basic Economy fares or Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) fares, even for Premiers.
- There is a $125 redeposit fee for members who do not show up for their flight and request a redeposit of their miles. This fee applies to all members.
- The benefits of Star Alliance Silver status and Star Alliance Gold status are subject to change and subject to the rules of Star Alliance.
Coming soon: PlusPoints
On December 4, 2019, we’ll replace Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades with PlusPoints — a new, flexible upgrade benefit for our Platinum and 1K members that can be used anywhere United flies. Learn more
A little more about PlusPoints:
- They can be used on all flights operated by United or United Express.
- They can be used on flights operated by Copa, Lufthansa, or All Nippon Airways.
- You can use them to upgrade multiple segments of the same itinerary.
- They’re never deducted until we’ve confirmed an upgrade on one of your flight segments.
- After you’ve requested your upgrade, it can be confirmed as early as the time of ticketing all the way up until departure.
Compare conversion of Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades to PlusPoints Now Starting December 4, 2019 1 Regional Premier Upgrade 20 PlusPoints 1 Global Premier Upgrade 40 PlusPoints
Earning and using PlusPoints
The earlier you earn Platinum or 1K status, the longer you’ll have to use your upgrade benefits. PlusPoints are valid as soon as they‘re earned through the end of the following Premier program year. For example, a member earning Premier 1K status in January 2020 would have PlusPoints that don’t expire until the end of the 2021 program year.
- When you earn Platinum status, you’ll earn 40 PlusPoints
- After earning 1K status, you’ll earn 280 additional Plus Points*.In addition, your ability to earn additional upgrades will be unlimited.
- If you’ve met the requirements to earn Premier Platinum and 1K within the same year, you will have earned a total of 320 PlusPoints (40 PlusPoints from Platinum and 280 from 1K); enough for 8 United Economy to United Polaris business class upgrades.
These upgrades are available on most United- and United Express- operated flights system-wide.
PlusPoints Upgrade pricing is based on whether the request is for a long-haul or short-haul upgrade, the requested seat and fare purchased. The PlusPoint request price is equal to the highest priced upgrade in your request.
Compare Short-haul flights upgrades benefit for PlusPoints Original cabin Upgraded cabin PlusPoints United Economy United First 20
This includes flights within the U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii and premium transcontinental service; flights between the U.S. and Canada, Bogota, Central America, Caribbean, Mexico and Quito; flights between Guam and Honolulu, including island hopper service; and intra-Asia flights.
Compare Long-haul flights upgrades benefit for PlusPoints Original cabin Upgraded cabin PlusPoints Discounted Economy United Polaris business 80 United Economy United Polaris business 40 United Premium Plus United Polaris business 30 United Economy United Polaris business 20
This includes flights with United Polaris business class between the U.S. and Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East, New Zealand, South America, and Tahiti.
Eligible fare classes
- Discounted Economy to United Polaris business: Fare classes S, T, L, K, and G
- Economy to United Polaris business: Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, and W
- United Premium Plus to United Polaris business: Fare classes O, A, and R
- Economy to United Premium Plus: Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, and G
All paid, upgrade-eligible tickets can be upgraded with PlusPoints. This includes fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, and G.
Requesting PlusPoints upgrades online or in our mobile app (available starting December 4)
Managing existing reservations on united.com:
- To manage your PlusPoints or upgrade an existing trip, visit My Trips, where you can look at your upgrade requests, cancel requests, and make requests for existing trips by selecting ‘Upgrade Cabin’.
- For new bookings, you can also select advanced search from united.com to shop for new itineraries and PlusPoints upgrades at the same time.
There are two options for PlusPoints upgrades within advanced search: Available and waitlist, and Available only and Skip the waitlist.
Available and waitlist will show PlusPoints pricing for flights that may or may not have available upgrades. This option will not allow you to skip the waitlist.
Available only and Skip the waitlist will show waitlist pricing for flights with available upgrades, as well as flights wherein upgrade inventory is closed but Skip Waitlist is available.
Managing existing reservations in our mobile app
- Within My Trips on the United app, you may upgrade an existing reservation by finding that reservation and clicking the ‘Upgrade Cabin’ link.Within My Trips on the United app, you may upgrade an existing reservation by finding that reservation and clicking the ‘Upgrade Cabin’ link.
Within My Account, you can view your PlusPoint available and requested balance. To see all PlusPoints upgrades, click ‘View Upgrades’.
Managing your PlusPoints
PlusPoints will appear in three different categories based on your activity.
Available: Your useable balance of PlusPoints
- These PlusPoints can be used for future upgrades.
- You must have enough PlusPoints in your available balance to cover the price of an upgrade request.
- If your available balance ever goes below the price of an individual request that hasn’t been upgraded, that request will be skipped until your available balance can cover the cost of the upgrade.
Requested: The total amount of PlusPoints for upgrade requests that haven’t yet been upgraded
- These PlusPoints have been used to request waitlisted upgrades
- They’re not withheld from your available balance until we’re able to confirm an upgrade.
Deducted: The total amount of PlusPoints deducted for requests that have at least one confirmed upgrade
- These requests have received at least one upgrade.
- When you receive an upgrade, the PlusPoints price of the request is deducted and withheld until departure as we work to clear any remaining upgrades within your request.
- You may receive a partial refund after reaching your destination if you didn’t receive the highest priced PlusPoints upgrade.
Things to remember:
- Requests that have received an upgrade cannot be cancelled.
- Skip Waitlist upgrades are deducted immediately at time of request.
- PlusPoints upgrades on Star Alliance partners are deducted immediately at time of request.
We won’t deduct PlusPoints from your account until you receive an upgrade, which means you can request as many upgrades as you have bookings, as long as you have enough PlusPoints for each individual request.
We’ll deduct the full PlusPoints amount when we can give you at least one of the upgrades in your request. This way, once you receive an upgrade, we’ll be able to fulfill your remaining upgrades when they become available.
If you don’t receive the highest priced PlusPoints upgrade, we’ll credit the difference between the request price and the price of the upgrade(s) you received.
If your PlusPoints balance falls below the amount needed for any requests you’ve made, those requests will be ‘skipped’ until you get enough PlusPoints, and then your original request will be reinstated.
With Skip Waitlist, you can pay a higher PlusPoints price to confirm an upgrade request even when upgrades aren’t available.
This option is available to 1K members. You may sponsor other travelers, but you must be traveling on the same reservation with them.
- Skip Waitlist will only be available from time to time on select flights.
- Skip Waitlist will not be available once you’re within 30 days of departure.
- For Economy to United Polaris business requests, tickets must have a W fare class or higher.
- Remember: Skip Waitlist upgrades are always non-refundable and can never be transferred to other flights.
If you choose to skip the waitlist, your PlusPoints will be deducted immediately.
How to find Skip Waitlist upgrades (available starting December 4)
For an existing reservation, if Skip Waitlist is available for your flight, it will be an available upgrade option after you elect to upgrade your trip.
For new reservations: Within advanced search, after searching for PlusPoints upgrades, select the “Available only and Skip the waitlist” button.
Conversion to PlusPoints: What to expect on December 4, 2019
- If you have Global Premier Upgrades or Regional Premier Upgrades available, we’ll convert each Regional Premier Upgrade to 20 PlusPoints and each Global Premier Upgrade to 40 PlusPoints.
- All requests will be priced according to the PlusPoints pricing table; all upgrade requests made with Global Premier Upgrades and Regional Premier Upgrades for flights on or after December 4 will have a PlusPoints price that’s the same or lower.
- Example: You placed a Global Premier Upgrade request for a domestic flight. Your Global Premier Upgrade is worth 40 PlusPoints, but you’ll only use 20 PlusPoints since short-haul pricing is lower You would receive a refund of the remaining PlusPoints on December 4.
- If you made a request for a flight departing on or after December 4 and had no flight segments with confirmed upgrades, the request will stay in place but you’ll immediately receive a PlusPoints refund equal to the value of the Regional Premier Upgrade or Global Premier Upgrade you used for the request. PlusPoints aren’t deducted until we’re able to confirm an upgrade.
- Remember: If you don’t receive your highest priced PlusPoints upgrade, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of PlusPoints after you arrive at your destination — even if you placed your request with a Global Premier Upgrade or Regional Premier Upgrade before we converted to PlusPoints.