Members earn Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) for the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on eligible flights operated by United and United Express. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, do not earn PQD. Basic Economy (N) tickets are also excluded from earning Premier qualifying credit (PQM/PQS/PQD). Members may earn PQD for Economy Plus® purchases.
The price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. You will not earn PQD or award miles for the full amount of the displayed price for these itineraries because the U.S. Federal Transportation tax is not eligible to earn PQD or miles.
Visit the Premier Status Qualification page for more information on the requirements for Premier status.
Exclusions on earning award miles and Premier qualifying credits
MileagePlus award miles and Premier qualifying credits may not be earned on certain United and MileagePlus partner airline tickets. These include, but are not limited to:
- Basic Economy purchases are not eligible to receive Premier qualifying credit (PQM/PQS/PQD). Basic Economy purchases also do not accrue lifetime miles and do not count toward the four segment minimum for Premier status.
- United tickets purchased and used in violation of United's Contract of Carriage, fare tariffs and the MileagePlus Program Rules
- All free travel and all MileagePlus award travel
- Charter flights
- Industry free or industry reduced-rate tickets
- Promotional certificates
- Unpublished or opaque fares, including but not limited to those booked through priceline.com and Hotwire
- Tickets, products or services purchased and used in violation of the terms and conditions applicable to United's MileagePlus partners