Same-day flight changes
If you have a restricted* ticket, you can make a same-day flight change for a reduced fee. Flight changes aren’t available for Basic Economy (N) or Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) fares. If you’re a MileagePlus Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® member, you can ask for a same-day change at no charge. The following fees and conditions apply:
Premier Platinum and Premier 1K
same flight changes table
- Your itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and your ticket number must begin with 016.
- The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your original scheduled flight. The flight you request must be leaving within 24 hours from the time your request is made and can include any fare class, though you may have to pay the difference in fare. Changes must be made before your original scheduled flight.
- When you’re able to get your original ticketed fare class on your requested flight within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee (instead of the change fee outlined in the fare rules) will apply.
- If you’re not able to get your original ticketed fare class on your requested flight within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee (instead of the change fee outlined in the fare rules) will apply, plus any additional payments or refunds for the difference in fare.
- You can stand by if seats aren’t available in the fare class you’ve purchased. In that case, the same-day change fee will apply, but won’t be charged unless you’re assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Route changes aren’t allowed when standing by. You can ask for standby on the day of your departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you’re added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info
- If your ticket is upgraded, it will automatically be added to the upgrade standby list at your applicable upgrade priority. Once you’re added to the upgrade standby list, you can check your real-time upgrade status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info
- Changes are only available for the same origin and destination airport. Your connection points can be changed if the fare you’ve bought allows for the new routing.
You can confirm same-day flight changes when you check in online, at any airport kiosk, by calling your local United Customer Contact Center or with a United representative. If you checked baggage on your original flight, you’ll need to complete any changes at least 60 minutes before your new flight’s departure to allow time for us to move your baggage to the new flight.
*Restricted tickets exclude certain specialty tickets (including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque tickets where the fare you paid is not provided to United) and fares that don’t allow changes of any kind, such as United Specials and tickets bought through certain wholesale outlets (e.g. where you don’t know the identity of the airline until after you buy the ticket).
Frequently asked questions
Yes. As long as it falls within the rules of the same-day change discounted fee policy.
If you want to change the departure or arrival airport, you’ll have to pay the change fee and any difference in fare.
Yes, you can do so when a change can be confirmed, but only if the fare allows for the new routing and there are no changes to the origin or destination airports. You can’t, however, change routing when standing by.
Yes. However, if you checked bags on your original flight, you’ll need to complete any changes at least 60 minutes before your new flight’s departure to allow time for us to move your bags to your new flight.
No. The only time you can stand by for free is when the fare doesn’t have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily because of a flight irregularity.
Yes. But when your itinerary involves three or more flights, you can only confirm the change by calling the United Customer Contact Center or talking with a United representative at the airport.
You can pay cash to a United airport representative only when the change can be confirmed, not for standby travel.
Yes, as long as you meet all other requirements.
Yes. However, there is no charge when making same-day changes to award tickets bought with miles if you are a Premier Gold, Platinum or 1K.