Same-day flight changes
Customers holding restricted* tickets can make same-day flight changes for a discounted fee. Tickets containing Basic Economy (N) fares are not eligible for flight changes. MileagePlus Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® members may request a same-day change at no charge. The following fees and conditions apply:
|MileagePlus non–Premier members||$75|
|MileagePlus Premier Silver members||$75|
|MileagePlus Premier Gold members||$0|
MileagePlus Premier Platinum and MileagePlus Premier 1K members
same flight changes table
- The itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016.
- The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your originally scheduled flight. The requested flight must be departing within 24 hours from the time the request is made and can include any fare class, though you may be required to pay the difference in fare. Changes must be made prior to your original scheduled flight.
- When the original ticketed fare class is available on the requested flight within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee (instead of the change fee stated in the fare rules) will apply.
- When the original ticketed fare class is not available on the requested flight within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee (instead of the change fee stated in the fare rules) will apply, as well as any additional payments or refunds for the difference in fare.
- You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.
- Upgraded tickets will be automatically added to the upgrade standby list at your applicable upgrade priority. Once you are added to the upgrade standby list, you can check your real-time upgrade status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.
- Changes are only available for the exact origin and destination airport. Connection points may be changed provided the new routing is permitted by the fare purchased.
Same-day flight changes may be confirmed when checking in online, at any airport kiosk, by calling your local United Customer Contact Center or with a United representative. If you checked baggage on your original flight, you will need to complete any changes at least 60 minutes before your new flight’s departure to allow time for us to move your baggage to the new flight.
*Restricted tickets exclude certain specialty tickets (including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque tickets where the fare you paid is not provided to United) and fares that do not allow changes of any kind, such as United Specials and tickets bought through certain wholesale outlets (e.g. where you do not know the identity of the airline until after you buy the ticket).
Expand the section below for more information about same-day flight changes:
Frequently asked questions
Yes, as long as it falls within the rules of the same-day change discounted fee policy.
If you wish to change the departure or arrival airport, the change fee and any applicable fare difference associated with the fare will apply.
Yes, when a change can be confirmed, provided the new routing is permitted by the fare and no changes to the origin or destination airports. You may not, however, change routing when standing by.
Yes. However, if you checked baggage on your original flight, you will need to complete any changes at least 60 minutes before your new flight’s departure to allow time for us to move your baggage to the new flight.
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.
Yes, but when the itinerary involves three or more flights, the change may only be confirmed by calling the United Customer Contact Center or with a United representative at the airport.
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.
Yes, as long as all other requirements are met.
Yes. However, there is no charge when making same-day changes to award tickets purchased with miles from a Premier Gold, Premier Platinum or Premier 1K member's account.