Prepay for your checked bags
We're excited to offer you the convenience of prepaying for checked bags on United® and United Express® flights. For select destinations, you'll even save money on checked bag fees when you prepay.
Make the check-in process easier by paying online before your flight. When you get to the airport, you can print out your bag tags at a United kiosk, attach the tag to your bags, then leave them with an agent at the bag drop counter. It's that simple.
Prepaying for checked bags isn't available for oversized and overweight bags, as well as special items. You must prepay for your checked bags at least 24 hours before your flight in order to receive any savings.
Visit the FAQ section and terms and conditions to learn more.
How it works
- Visit united.com and enter your confirmation number.
- Select the "Prepay bags" icon.
- Enter your information and look over all the details.
- Select "Continue to payment."
At the airport
When you get to the airport, we'll already recognize you prepaid for your bags. Simply stop by a United kiosk to check in and print your bag tag. Attach the tag to your bags, then leave them with an agent at the bag drop counter.
- You can choose to pay for up to nine checked bags per person any time before the 24-hour check-in window for your flight.
- You can't pay for oversized and overweight bags, as well as special items, before arriving to the airport.
- You must still comply with airport baggage check-in time limits.
- This product applies to customers traveling on flights operated by United Airlines or United Express and marketed by United Airlines. Other United codeshare flights do not apply.
- We calculate charges based on standard bag sizes for flights per person and each way.
- All prepaid bags are subject to standard size and weight limitations.
- Checked bags are subject to United baggage rules.
How do I prepay for my bags before traveling?
You can choose to pay for up to nine bags per person on united.com under the "My trips" tab. To access the prepayment capability there, select the "Prepay bags" icon.
Can I prepay for bags over the phone?
This feature is currently only available on united.com.
Why can't I prepay for bags, even though I just bought my flight?
Don't worry, you'll still be able to prepay for bags — just try again in an hour. In some cases, it can take an hour or two for our system to issue the ticket for your reservation, after which you'll be able to prepay.
Will I still get my free bags as a MileagePlus® member with status or cardholder?
Yes, our system will automatically recognize if you get any free bag allowances.
Can I prepay for sporting equipment?
No. Oversized and overweight bags, as well as special items, must be paid for at the airport.
When can I prepay for my checked bags?
You can prepay for your checked bags any time before the 24-hour check-in window for your flight.
Am I eligible to receive a discount by prepaying for my bags?
Starting February 21, 2020, you're eligible for savings on checked bag fees if you prepay for bags on a United or United Express flight scheduled to depart on or after March 6, 2020. This discount is only available on domestic U.S. flights as well as flights to the Caribbean, Mexico and Latin America that originate in the U.S. Use our baggage calculator to find out how much it will cost to check a bag on any upcoming flight.
Can I prepay for bags for multiple passengers on the same PNR?
Yes, you can prepay for multiple bags for multiple passengers on the same PNR.
Can I make changes to my flight?
Yes. If you take a different flight on the same day of original booking, the bags that you paid for will transfer to your new flight.
If I bought my ticket through a third party, can I still prepay for my bags?
Yes. As long as your flight is operated by United Airlines or United Express and marketed by United Airlines, you can prepay for bags.
What's a personal item?
On most flights, you're allowed to bring on board one carry-on bag and one personal item. Your personal item is something that should fit underneath the seat in front of you, like a purse or a backpack. There are important exceptions, including for customers traveling on Basic Economy tickets. Learn more about personal items and carry-on bags.