Prepay for your checked bags
We’re excited to offer you the convenience of prepaying for checked bags on United® and United Express® flights to any destination. Make the check-in process easier by paying online before your flight. When you get to the airport, you can print out your bag tags at a United kiosk. It’s that simple.
Prepaying for checked bags isn’t available for oversized and overweight bags, as well as special items.
Visit the FAQ section and terms and conditions to learn more.
- You can choose to pay for up to nine checked bags per person any time before the 24-hour check-in window for your flight.
- You can’t pay for oversized and overweight bags, as well as special items, before arriving to the airport.
- You must still comply with airport baggage check-in time limits.
- This product applies to customers traveling on flights operated by United Airlines or United Express and marketed by United Airlines. Other United codeshare flights do not apply.
- We calculate charges based on standard bag sizes for flights per person and each way.
- All prepaid bags are subject to standard size and weight limitations.
- Checked bags are subject to United baggage rules.
How do I prepay for my bags before traveling?
You can choose to pay for up to nine bags per person on united.com under the “My trips” tab. To access the prepayment capability there, scroll down to the checked bag tab, expand it and click on “Pay for Checked Bags.”
If I purchase or get an upgrade that includes a free checked bag, will you refund me?
Yes, we’ll automatically refund you. This is subject to standard refund policy.
Can I prepay for bags over the phone?
This feature is currently only available on united.com.
Will I still get my free bags as a MileagePlus® member with status or cardholder?
Yes, our system will automatically recognize if you get any free bags.
Can I prepay for sporting equipment?
No. You can’t prepay for oversized and overweight bags, as well as special items, before arriving to the airport.
When can I prepay for my checked bags?
You can prepay for your checked bags any time before the 24-hour check-in window for your flight.
Can I prepay for bags for multiple passengers on the same PNR?
Yes, you can prepay for multiple bags for multiple passengers on the same PNR.
What if my flight is canceled?
If your flight is canceled and you decide not to fly, we’ll refund you in full to the original form of payment.
If I prepay for more bags than I end up taking, can I get a refund?
We’ll automatically refund you if you prepay for more bags than you check. If that’s the case, we’ll begin the refund process as soon as your flight takes off. The extra cost will go to your original form of payment, and the amount of time it takes is subject to standard refund policy.
Can I make changes to my flight?
Yes. If you take a different flight on the same day of original booking, the bags that you paid for will transfer to your new flight.
If I bought my ticket through a third party, can I still prepay for my bags?
Yes. As long as your flight is operated by United Airlines or United Express and marketed by United Airlines, you can prepay for bags.