Give loved ones the world
We've decided to discontinue the United gift certificate program, so gift certificates are no longer available for purchase. You can redeem any existing gift certificates and check your balance on the Check Gift Certificate Balance page.
You can still help your family and friends get to where they want to go by purchasing gift miles. On the Buy Miles page, simply select “Give Miles” and log in to your MileagePlus account to get started.
We also invite you to check out united.com gift registry to see if your favorite traveler is registered to receive the gift of United flights.
- Gift Certificates are nonrefundable.
- Gift Certificates are issued in U.S. dollars only.
- Gift Certificates are valid for five years after the date of purchase.
- Gift Certificates can be used for air travel purchases, including tickets, taxes and surcharges, made on united.com only. Gift Certificates cannot be used toward checked baggage service charges or non-ticket purchases, including but not limited to Economy Plus®, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM and Personal Miles®.
- Valid for use on flights operated by United and United Express® only.
- The Gift Certificate will be applied to the total price of the airline ticket(s) in any one transaction.
- Only one Gift Certificate may be used per transaction for the purchase of airline tickets.
- If the full amount of the certificate is not used for a transaction, you can use the balance toward the purchase of another ticket within the original validity period.
- The certificate will be null and void if its remaining value is less than USD 1.00.
- If a purchase made using a Gift Certificate qualifies for a refund, the requested refund will be credited back in the form of an electronic travel certificate. The electronic travel certificate is valid for one year from the date when the electronic travel certificate is issued.
- Not valid in conjunction with any other programs, such as MileagePlus award travel and United Groups.
- Valid with any fare types (including promotional fares).
- Cannot be used in conjunction with an electronic travel certificate.
- Mileage accrual is allowed in conjunction with applicable fare rules for the ticket being purchased.
- Purchases made with a Gift Certificate do not count toward Premier® qualifying dollars for Premier status qualification.
- Gift Certificates are fully transferrable until redeemed. However, Gift Certificates may not be sold by anyone other than United. Any Gift Certificate sold by a party other than United is void, and United reserves the right to take any or all of the following actions in connection with a third-party sale of a Gift Certificate: 1) invalidate the Gift Certificate and associated ticket; 2) cancel any remaining portion of the traveler’s itinerary; 3) refuse to board the traveler or carry the traveler’s baggage; 4) assess the traveler for the actual value of the ticket; 5) delete miles in the traveler’s MileagePlus account or take any other action permitted by the Rules for MileagePlus Program; and 6) take legal action against the traveler or third-party seller of the Gift Certificate.
Where can I redeem this product?
Gift certificates are redeemable only on united.com from U.S. points of sale.
What is the validity period for a gift certificate?
A gift certificate is valid for five years from the date when it is purchased.
Why can’t I currently buy gift certificates?
We're working to make improvements to the program right now and will offer new, improved gift certificates soon.