Your privacy is important to us
This Notice discloses United’s privacy practices for your information collected online or offline.
Scope of this policy
This Notice applies to the United websites/apps on which it is posted and to data collected offline as follows:
- On United-managed websites and mobile websites, including, for example, united.com, mileageplus.com, mobile.united.com, hub.united.com;
- Through United-managed mobile applications, such as the United App;
- Offline, including, for example, through a United Customer Contact Center agent or other travel agent.
This Notice does not apply to the following United sites or services:
- United Cargo transactions, including but not limited to, those conducted on unitedcargo.com;
- United Wi-FiSM service portal;
- United ClubSM locations’ Wi-Fi service;
- United’s Technical Operations website; or
This Notice does not apply to any website not owned and managed by United, including but not limited to, United Vacations, United Cruises, MileagePlus Shopping, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia or any other third-party site.
Information we collect about you
United collects and maintains personal information about you directly from you (both online and offline) and automatically when you use our sites and third party sites, including when you make travel arrangements, contact us, complete a survey, register for the MileagePlus program, participate in a promotion, or otherwise interact with us.
The type of information we collect about you depends on your particular interaction with us, and includes the following information, as applicable:
- Contact information;
- MileagePlus number and security information;
- Gender and date of birth;
- Payment information (e.g., credit card information);
- Passport information and photograph;
- Government ID or redress number;
- Travel preferences and special requests;
- Purchase information (including both travel and non-travel purchases);
- User and activity data from our websites and mobile applications;
- Survey responses; and
- Tax identification number of promotion or survey winner, depending on the value of the prize.
How we use your information
We use your personal information:
- To provide our services
- In response to your requests
- For flight information/wireless services.
- To improve your user experience.
- For operational needs and providing services.
- For marketing and advertising.
- For surveys and promotions.
- To improve and maintain our sites and our services.
- To protect our rights and interests, and the rights and interests of other users of our services.
- As permitted by law.
We collect, use and share your personal information where we are satisfied that we have an appropriate legal basis to do this.
Disclosing your information
United discloses your personal information to the following persons/entities:
- Affiliates. We disclose your information to our affiliates or subsidiaries. Our affiliates and subsidiaries may use your information for various purposes, including marketing their products and services to you.
- Service providers. We share your information with third parties that assist us and perform functions on our behalf.
- Non-affiliated third parties. We share your information with third parties as necessary to complete your transaction or fulfill your requests. Consistent with applicable law, United may also share your information with third parties for marketing purposes including but not limited to the third party’s own marketing or promotional purposes or other companies’ marketing purposes in order for them to present you with offers on services or products that may be of interest to you.
- Marketing partners. If we jointly offer a product or service with a different entity, we will share your information with that entity to assist in marketing and providing that product or service. Consistent with applicable law, we may also share your information with our partners for their own marketing purposes
- Research and analytics. We may use and disclose your information for research and analytics purposes.
- Aggregate information. Aggregate information, such as demographic information, domain names, other site traffic information, etc., may at times be shared with United partners or other third parties.
- Law enforcement/Legal processes/other uses. United may also disclose your information: if required to do so by law, court order, subpoena or other legal process; as requested by a governmental or law enforcement authority; to protect the rights or property of United, its customers, its sites or site users; or when we believe in good faith that it is in the interests of aviation security or that disclosure is otherwise necessary or advisable.
- Business transactions. If United is or may be acquired by or merges with another entity, if any of our assets are transferred to another entity, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information that we collected from and about you to the other entity.
- Additional notice for users of certain mobile websites. You may make purchases using MileagePlus award miles through certain mobile websites. If you choose to use these sites, then United will receive information from the third party about your purchase and will exchange information with the third party to facilitate the transaction and the use of miles from your account.
United will transfer, store, and process information that we collect about you, as described in this Policy, in the United States, which may not provide the same level of protection for your personal information as your home country. In addition, we may further transfer your information outside the United States for the purposes described in this Policy. Where personal information that we collect is transferred to and processed in the United States or anywhere else outside the European Economic Area (EEA) for the purposes described in this policy, we will take steps to ensure that the information receives the same level of protection as if it remained within the EEA, including entering into data transfer agreements, using the EU Commission approved Standard Contractual Clauses, or by relying on certification schemes such as the EU - US Privacy Shield. You may have a right to details of the mechanisms under which your data is transferred outside the EEA.
Protecting information collected
United maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards designed to protect your information. Although United takes reasonable steps to safeguard and to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information, it cannot be responsible for the acts of those who gain unauthorized access and United makes no warranty, express, implied, or otherwise, that we will prevent unauthorized access to your personal information.
Choices, access, and correction of information
Subject to certain exemptions, and in some cases dependent upon the processing activity we are undertaking, you have certain rights in relation to your personal information. These rights may include the right to:
- access personal information
- rectify / erase personal information
- restrict the processing of your personal information
- transfer your personal information
- object to the processing of personal information
- object to how we use your personal information for direct marketing purposes
- obtain a copy of personal information safeguards used for transfers outside your jurisdiction
- lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority
You can exercise your rights by contacting us. Subject to legal and other permissible considerations, we will make reasonable efforts to honor your request promptly or inform you if we require further information in order to fulfil your request.