Your privacy is important to us
United Airlines respects your privacy. This Policy discloses United’s privacy practices for your information collected online or offline. We address the following topics:
While United strives to take reasonable measures to protect your information, this Policy is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations. Rather, the following are guidelines for protecting your information and, depending on your jurisdiction, describing your rights under applicable data protection laws. By using any of our sites and/or our services or otherwise providing us with any information, you acknowledge the handling of your information as described in this Policy.
Scope of this policy
This Policy applies to the information that we collect about you on any United website in which it is posted, which include the following situations:
- On United-managed websites and mobile websites, including, for example, united.com, mileageplus.com, mobile.united.com, hub.united.com;
- Through United-managed mobile applications, such as the United App;
- Offline, including, for example, through a United Customer Contact Center agent or other travel agent.
This Policy does not apply to the following United sites or services:
- United Cargo transactions, including but not limited to, those conducted on unitedcargo.com;
- United Wi-FiSM service portal;
- United ClubSM locations’ Wi-Fi service;
- United’s Technical Operations website; or
In addition, this Policy does not apply to any website not owned and managed by United, including but not limited to, United Vacations, United Cruises, MileagePlus Shopping, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia or any other third-party site.
With respect to the above, please see those respective sites for the privacy policies that may apply.
Information we collect about you
United collects and maintains information, including personal information, about you directly from you (both online and offline) and automatically when you use our sites and third party sites. We collect information from you when you make travel arrangements, contact us, complete a survey, register for the MileagePlus program, participate in a promotion, or otherwise interact with us. The type of information we collect about you depends on your particular interaction with us, and may include, but not limited to, the following information:
- Contact information;
- MileagePlus number and security information;
- Gender and date of birth;
- Payment information (e.g., credit card information);
- Passport information and photograph;
- Government ID or redress number;
- Travel preferences and special requests;
- Purchase information (including both travel and non-travel purchases);
- User and activity data from our websites and mobile applications;
- Survey responses; and
- Tax identification number of promotion or survey winner, depending on the value of the prize.
Information we collect directly from you
Examples of the types of information we collect directly from you are described below.
When you enroll in MileagePlus, or if you are already a MileagePlus member, we collect specific information such as your name, address, phone number(s), email address, MileagePlus account number, and password or other account security authentication information. If you create a traveler profile, we also will collect the information that you choose to provide to us, which may include but not be limited to: payment information (e.g., credit card information, billing name/address), telephone numbers, email addresses, general requests or special needs, travel preferences and loyalty program information.
If you make a purchase with us, whether as a MileagePlus member or as a “Guest”, we collect information about you, including but not limited to traveler, payment information, contact and travel preferences.
Offline purchases: Telephone, travel agent or ticket counter
To make a purchase or transact other business with a United Customer Contact Center agent, a travel agent (including online travel agents outside of United), or a customer service representative (collectively, “Reservations Agents”), Reservations Agents collect data such as payment information, passport information, birth date, name, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers. We may monitor and/or record telephone calls to Reservations Agents. By continuing with the call, you are deemed to consent to such monitoring and/or recording.
United may collect information such as name, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, and credit card information, in order to provide service to members of its United Club.
United may collect credit card and MileagePlus information in flight to enable present and/or future purchases.
Due to the nature of our services, United will collect and maintain travel information, about children under the age of 13 when necessary to comply with federal aviation or security regulations, for safety or security reasons, or as otherwise necessary for United to provide transportation or other services requested.
Information we automatically collect
We and our third party service providers automatically collect information about your use of our sites through cookies, web beacons, log files and other technologies. Such information includes but is not limited to, the following:
- Domain name;
- Browser type and operating system;
- IP address;
- Web pages you view;
- Links you click;
- Length of time of your visit;
- Your activities on our sites including your movement through these sites; and
- Referring URL or webpage that led you to our sites.
Information we collect through our mobile application(s)
We collect information from you when you use our mobile application(s), including, but not limited to: name, email address, MileagePlus account information, government ID or passenger redress number, passport information and/or photograph, date of birth, payment information (e.g., credit card number, expiration date and billing name and address), if not already provided.
You may store your information in order to facilitate your travel (e.g. reservation, specific flight information, etc.) or purchase needs. The mobile application(s) may also store user-provided data, unless you choose to delete it, for as long as you use the related feature of the application. Information provided for traveler data, security clearance, purchases and related activities will be stored in our operational systems, as needed, to provide services you request. If such information is stored in your MileagePlus account it will not be accessible if your MileagePlus account is closed.
We also collect information automatically through your use of our mobile application(s) (through cookies, beacons or other tracking technologies designed for mobile applications), including, but not limited to, the following:
- Your pinpointed physical location information from technologies like GPS, Wi-Fi, or cell tower proximity (geo-location tracking), if you agree to grant us permission to do so;
- At select airports in the U.S., your precise location may be tracked continuously to provide you with location-based services, if you agree to grant us permission to do so. For more information, and to learn how to turn off this tracking, please see the Location Services FAQ located on the side menu of the United App;
- Your domain name;
- Device ID or alternative ID where required by the platform provider;
- Electronic data concerning operating systems and computing devices/browser, including types;
- Features you use and links you click;
- Amount of time spent in the application;
- Installs and uninstalls;
- Transaction details and history.
Information we collect from third parties
We collect information about you from third parties, including personal, demographic and aggregate information. For example, if you make a reservation through a travel agent, we will obtain your travel information from that agent. We may also obtain information about you from our marketing partners, advertisers and other third parties.
Sensitive information we collect directly from you
In certain situations, we collect information that is defined as “sensitive” under applicable data protection laws. If a medical or other emergency occurs while travelling with United, we collect information, including but not limited to first and last name, contact information, date of birth, and medical information, and may share such information with third-party medical or other safety personnel as necessary or advisable. We also provide you the option to make a special meal request (on certain flights) and/or provide information about special travel needs. If you choose to make such request and/or provide such information, we collect information in order to provide reasonable accommodations during travel. In addition, MileagePlus members can choose to save their special meal requests and/or special needs in their profile information for use in connection with bookings made through united.com. These saved preferences and/or selections can be changed at any time.
How we use your information
General - applicable to all sources of information
We primarily use your information, including personal information, to provide our services to you and to fulfill your requests. In certain circumstances, such as for advertising purposes, we combine your information with other information that we have about you, that is publicly available and/or that we have obtained from third parties (either individually or in the aggregate). We also use your information for the following purposes:
- For flight information/wireless services. You may register for receipt of flight information and other wireless services by indicating your preference to receive this information by providing relevant information or by granting applicable permissions. Participation in these services may be optional.
- To improve your user experience. To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, such as information about your travel schedule; to offer customized location information, personalized help and instructions; and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using our sites or services.
- For operational needs and providing services. To carry out our operations and services and to facilitate your transactions or requests.
- For marketing and advertising. United uses your information, consistent with applicable law, individually, in the aggregate, and/or combined with demographic information that we maintain or collect from third parties, for marketing and advertising purposes (via email, direct mail, telephone, web or other electronic advertising) and to send you news and newsletters. Specifically, we use the information that we collect about you to send you email, direct mail, or telephone communications about offers, including those offered by United, its partners or other third parties, that might be of interest to you. We also use your information to determine appropriate advertising channels and venues and to place ads on such channels and venues, including placing advertising on social networking sites.
- For surveys and promotions. As permitted under applicable law, we offer you the opportunity to participate in a survey or promotion. We use survey results for various purposes, including to enhance our services and sites and to develop improved promotions, and, if you provide your name, we may contact you to discuss your comments. Unless otherwise stated in the promotion or survey, we use the contact information that we collect through promotions for the purpose of notifying the winner. If you win a promotion, we may request additional information (e.g., social security number for income tax purposes depending on the prize).
- To improve and maintain our sites and our services. We use your information to improve and maintain our sites and services, respond to user desires and preferences, for research and analytical purposes, such as improving our operations, and for security purposes, including, but not limited to, protecting ourselves and users of our services.
- To protect our rights and interests, and the rights and interests of other users of our services.
- As permitted by law.
In addition to the foregoing, specific examples of how we use information derived from the following categories are described below.
We use information that we collect from our MileagePlus members to enroll you in the MileagePlus program; to provide mileage credit for program-related purchases and activities, including but not limited to MileagePlus partners; to communicate with you on the status of your MileagePlus account; to notify you of any special promotions for which you might be eligible; to pre-fill certain data fields so you do not need to enter the same information multiple times; perform the requested services (e.g., booking); to process your transactions (including billing); to notify you about flight information (including but not limited to reservation confirmation, flight or seat changes, boarding time(s), and available ancillary services).
We may use your information, consistent with applicable law, for marketing purposes, including sending emails or direct mail offers on services or products, including products and services offered by United as well as those offered by third parties, which may be of interest to you. You can opt -out of marketing at any time, and if you have a MileagePlus account, you may control certain marketing practices through your MileagePlus account as described below.
We do not knowingly use information we collect about children known to be under the age of 16 for any marketing or promotional purposes, nor do we permit our affiliates, third-party sponsors or other third parties with whom we may share information to do so. We use the information collected about children known to be under 16 only to provide services. We will give out personal information about children if required by law, for example to comply with a court order or subpoena, or to protect the safety and security of visitors and our sites.
Information collected from our mobile application(s)
In addition to the uses of your information described above, if you use our mobile applications, we use your information to send push notifications (after requesting your permission to do so), such as updates on flights, gate changes and offers or other information, to your mobile device.
If you permit us to collect your geo-location information, then we may provide you with location-based tools, such as airport/map views, city code search, and United Club locations or parking spaces, or send you travel notices specific to your location. In addition, for certain mobile applications, we may use geo-location tracking, subject to your granting United permission, to provide you with other services and information, such as identifying nearby retailer locations and/or to present you with offers which may be of interest to you, to facilitate your services and/or purchases through the application and to tally your miles and credit your account. Geo-location information may also be used to protect United’s interests.
You may withdraw your permission or opt out of geo-location tracking. Please consult your chosen mobile device manufacturer for information on setting your location-tracking features.
We promote our sites via Internet advertising. If you click on such an advertisement, information such as your mobile device’s ID, as permitted by the platform provider, may be sent to the advertising network so that they and United may track the effectiveness of our advertising. This information might also be used for frequency capping, estimating the number of unique users, debugging or security measures and protecting United’s interests. You may opt out of the collection of such information by uninstalling the mobile application(s). Once the mobile application(s) has been uninstalled, all information stored in the application will be deleted, including any preferences you previously set or enabled.
The legal bases for using your personal information
We collect, use, and share your personal information where we are satisfied that we have an appropriate legal basis to do this. This may be because:
- Our use of your personal information is in our legitimate interest as a commercial organization (for example in order to make improvements to our products and services and to provide you with information you request); you have a right to object to processing as explained in the section below titled Your legal rights;
- Our use of your personal information is necessary to perform a contract or take steps to enter into a contract with you (for example where we use your name and contact information to make travel reservations in the performance of our services); and/or
- Our use of your personal information is necessary to comply with a relevant legal or regulatory obligation that we have (for example, where we are required to undertake vetting to comply with safety and security regulations or where we are required to disclose personal information to a court or tax authority).
If you would like to find out more about the legal bases on which we process personal information, please contact us using the details below.
Disclosing your information
United may disclose your personal information to the following persons/entities:
- Affiliates. We may disclose information we collect from you to our affiliates or subsidiaries. Our affiliates and subsidiaries may use your information for various purposes, including marketing their products and services to you.
- Service providers. We may share your information with third parties that assist us and perform functions on our behalf. These entities may include technical support, website hosting, service/order fulfillment, customer service and credit card processing, among others. In some cases third-party service providers, such as information technology and data processing vendors, data storage services, etc., may be located outside the United States and your personal information may be processed or stored in other countries; please see the section on Cross-border transfers of information below. We also use third parties to assist us in determining and placing relevant advertising.
- Non-affiliated third parties. We may also share your information with third parties as necessary to complete your transaction or fulfill your requests. Consistent with applicable law, United may also share your information with third parties for marketing purposes including but not limited to the third party’s own marketing or promotional purposes or other companies’ marketing purposes in order for them to present you with offers on services or products that may be of interest to you. We may share your information with contracted corporate customers as part of our management of agreements we have with them.
- Marketing partners. If we jointly offer a product or service with a different entity, we will share your information with that entity to assist in marketing and providing that product or service. These entities may include, but are not limited to: airlines, car rental agencies, hotels and travel agencies. Consistent with applicable law, we may also share your information with our partners for their own marketing purposes.
- Research and analytics. We may use and disclose your information for research and analytics purposes.
- Aggregate information. Aggregate information, such as demographic information, domain names, other site traffic information, etc., may at times be shared with United partners or other third parties. Examples of aggregate information are X% of eligible tickets purchased are eTickets; X% of subscribers use a mobile application, etc.
- Law enforcement/Legal processes/other uses. United may also disclose your information: if required to do so by law, court order, subpoena or other legal process; as requested by a governmental or law enforcement authority; to protect the rights or property of United, its customers, its sites or site users; or when we believe in good faith that it is in the interests of aviation security or that disclosure is otherwise necessary or advisable. In certain circumstances, United’s third party service providers may be required to disclose information to government or law enforcement authorities. Security, health and customs and immigration laws in the U.S. and many other countries require all airlines, including United, to provide border control agencies or other governmental authorities with passenger data. In order to comply with these laws we may disclose information about you and your travel arrangements to such authorities.
- Business transactions. If United is or may be acquired by or merges with another entity, if any of our assets are transferred to another entity, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information that we collected from and about you to the other entity.
- Additional notice for users of certain mobile websites. You may make purchases using MileagePlus award miles through certain mobile websites. If you choose to use these sites, then United will receive information from the third party about your purchase and will exchange information with the third party to facilitate the transaction and the use of miles from your account.
United and our third party service providers collect information by using technologies and methodologies, such as "cookies", tags, web beacons or other similar technologies that enable tracking as you browse our sites. We use these technologies to authenticate you as a user, to remember your preferences for using the site, to present offers that may be of interest and to facilitate transactions, such as flight searches and purchases. We and our third party service providers also use these tools to analyze use of our sites and our services. We may use this information in the aggregate or combine it with information that we have already collected about you.
Cookie. "Cookies" are small bits of information that are stored on your computer by your web browser. Web beacons or “pixel tags” are small strings of code placed on a web page or in an email message for the purpose of transferring information. Cookies and the other technologies discussed in this section allow us to recognize your preference information, to track your transactions and to facilitate effective website administration.
If you do not want your information to be collected through cookies, you can change the preferences in your particular Internet browser. Some website functionality may not work properly if your browser does not accept cookies. Specifically, if you choose not to accept our cookies and are a registered user, you will not have access to your information, such as your user profile, itineraries, award travel, upgrades and MileagePlus summary information, on this site. Although you cannot log into the site as a registered user if you disable our cookies, you can still purchase on the site by logging in as a “Guest”. Please consult your chosen Internet browser for instructions on how to change your cookie settings.
Local storage objects. We may use Flash Local Storage Objects ("Flash LSOs") to store your preferences and to personalize your visit. Flash LSOs are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. Typically, you cannot control, delete or disable the acceptance of Flash LSOs through your web browser. For more information on Flash LSOs or to learn how to manage your settings for Flash LSOs, go to the Adobe Flash Player Help Page, choose “Global Storage Settings Panel“ and follow the instructions. To see the Flash LSOs currently on your computer, choose “Website Storage Settings Panel“ and follow the instructions to review and, if you want, to delete any specific Flash LSO.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. These technologies allow us to recognize your preference information, keep track of your transactions and facilitate effective website administration. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We and our third-party service providers may use clear GIFs (also known as web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our sites and services to, among other things, track the activities of visitors, help us manage content and compile statistics about usage. We and our third party service providers may also use clear GIFs in HTML emails sent to you to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed and track whether our emails are forwarded.
In addition, some third party advertising technology used by United to deliver advertisements may use separate cookies and other tracking technologies. This technology may be delivered via visits to our website, email messages, apps or otherwise. Web beacons on some pages of our site, in conjunction with these advertising cookies and our other cookies, enable the third-party advertising technology to better understand onsite activity in the aggregate, to recognize a browser's cookie when a browser visits this website, other websites or apps, and to learn which advertisements bring users to our site or our apps or otherwise take action.
Third party ad networks may be members of either the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) or About Ads-Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAI”). If they are members and you do not want to receive targeted advertisements from these third-party ad networks, you may opt out. Information as to member companies, the practices of such third-party ad networks and your choices regarding having information used by these companies, including how to opt out, can be found at either: http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp for NAI members or http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ for DAI members. Information on how to opt out of the use of your information by DoubleClick is available at http://www.google.com/policies/technologies/ads/ and information on how to opt out of Google Analytics is available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Opting out of one or more NAI or DAI members means that only those particular members will no longer deliver targeted content or ads to you. It does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content or ads on our websites or other non-United websites. If your browser is configured to reject cookies when you visit one of the above referenced opt-out pages and then you erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your NAI or DAI opt-out may no longer be active.
Your legal rights
Subject to certain exemptions, and in some cases dependent upon the processing activity we are undertaking, you have certain rights in relation to your personal information:
Right to access, correct, and delete your personal information: Please ensure that you tell us about changes in personal information (e.g., change of address, redress number) so that ensure that your information is up to date. You have the right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you and: (a) the source of your personal information; (b) the purposes, legal basis and methods of processing; (c) the data controller’s identity; and (d) the entities or categories of entities to whom your personal information may be transferred. If you are a MileagePlus member, you can create, view or update your MileagePlus account by accessing it through the MileagePlus profile section on united.com or by calling +1-800-421-4655. You may also update information relevant to your use of our mobile application(s) through the app itself. You also have the right to request that we delete your information. We are not required to comply with your request to erase personal information if the processing of your personal information is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or for the establishment, exercise, or deference of legal claims.
Right to restrict the processing of your personal information: You have the right to restrict the use of your personal information when (i) you contest the accuracy of the data; (ii) the use is unlawful but you do not want us to erase the data; (iii) we no longer need the personal information for the relevant purposes, but we require it for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to our personal information use justified on our legitimate interests verification as to whether we have a compelling interest to continue to use your data. We can continue to use your personal information following a request for restriction, where: we have your consent; or to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or to protect the rights of another natural or legal person.
Right to data portability: To the extent that we process your information (i) based on your consent or under a contract; and (ii) through automated means, you have the right to receive such personal information in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format, or you can ask to have it transferred directly to another data controller.
Right to object to the processing of your personal information: You can object to any processing of your personal information which has our legitimate interests as its legal basis, if you believe your fundamental rights and freedoms outweigh our legitimate interests. If you raise an objection, we have an opportunity to demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate interests which override your rights and freedoms.
Right to obtain a copy of personal information safeguards used for transfers outside your jurisdiction: You can ask to obtain a copy of, or reference to, the safeguards under which your personal information is transferred outside of the EEA.
Right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority: You have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority if you have concerns about how we are processing your personal information. We ask that you please attempt to resolve any issues with us first, although you have a right to contact your supervisory authority at any time.
How to exercise your rights: If you would like to exercise any of the rights described above, please send us a request via email@example.com. In your message, please indicate the right you would like to exercise. We may ask you for additional information to confirm your identity and for security purposes, before disclosing the personal information requested to you. We reserve the right to charge a fee where permitted by law, for instance if your request is manifestly unfounded or excessive. We may not always be able to fully address your request, for example if it would impact the duty of confidentiality we owe to others, or if we are legally entitled to deal with the request in a different way.
Protecting information collected
United maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information. When you place orders online to purchase services or access your MileagePlus account information, we use secure servers to protect your personal information, which is intended to encrypt the personal information that is transmitted between you and our sites. Although United takes reasonable steps to safeguard and to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information, it cannot be responsible for the acts of those who gain unauthorized access and United makes no warranty, express, implied, or otherwise, that we will prevent unauthorized access to your personal information.
Your role in protecting your information
To protect your privacy and United's proprietary databases and systems, you should not share any of your information, such as MileagePlus number or password, with any unauthorized individuals or third-party information aggregators that would allow them access to your sensitive account information. For more information, see our PIN/Password Frequently Asked Questions page. You should also take all necessary steps to secure your mobile devices and protect information you may have stored on them. We do not have control over the security of your mobile device. United assumes no responsibility for the loss of information associated with security disrupting technologies, including but not limited to reverse engineering of mobile device applications or malware, that compromise the United mobile application(s) as a result of owner or third-party initiated changes to the mobile device. The security of that mobile device is the responsibility of its owner, not United.
MileagePlus members can opt out of receiving marketing or promotion-related emails or direct mail from United by accessing their account profile information on the United website and changing their profile to indicate their desire to be excluded. In addition, members can contact the MileagePlus Service Center by phone or in writing and request a profile change. Emails sent to members will contain a message and link on how to opt out of that type of communication in the future. Regardless of your opt-out preferences, we reserve the right to send you emails or other communications for administrative purposes.
Location of your information/Data transfer/Notice to non-US persons
United will transfer, store, and process information that we collect about you, as described in this Policy, in the United States, which may not provide the same level of protection for your personal information as your home country. In addition, we may further transfer your information outside the United States for the purposes described in this Policy. Where personal information that we collect is transferred to and processed in the United States or anywhere else outside the European Economic Area (EEA) for the purposes described in this policy, we will take steps to ensure that the information receives the same level of protection as if it remained within the EEA, including entering into data transfer agreements, using the EU Commission approved Standard Contractual Clauses, or by relying on certification schemes such as the EU - US Privacy Shield. You may have a right to details of the mechanisms under which your data is transferred outside the EEA. By submitting any personal information or by using the website and without limitation to any other rights or obligations we have, you acknowledge such transfer to, and processing in, the United States and these other countries, and acknowledge that your information may be subject to access by law enforcement and other government entities, including courts and tribunals, in accordance with laws applicable in those jurisdictions.
Other sites/digital channels
Our sites and our online services may contain links to third party sites. Any access to and use of such linked sites is not governed by this Policy but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party sites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party sites.
Legal effect and changes to the policy