We’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status. Learn more
Regional Premier Upgrades
Regional Premier® Upgrades are one-way, one-cabin upgrades, confirmable as early as time of ticketing on eligible United-, United Express®- and Copa Airlines-operated flights.
Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached. Learn more about Premier status.
Effective January 1, 2019: Premier members will earn six Global Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K status. An additional one Global Premier Upgrade will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached. While you’ll still earn Regional Premier Upgrades when you qualify for Premier Platinum and 1K status, you’ll no longer receive additional Regional Premier Upgrades for your activity beyond reaching Premier 1K status. Learn more
Regional Premier Upgrades will be deposited at the time when they are earned, and will be valid through the end of the following Premier program year.
These upgrades are available on most United-, United Express- and Copa Airlines-operated flights in the following regions:
- Continental U.S.
- Central America
- South America (Copa flights only)
Regional Premier Upgrades can also be used on all flights between the continental U.S. and Hawaii, as well as all premium transcontinental routes, which include flights between New York/Newark and Los Angeles or San Francisco, as well as flights between Boston and San Francisco.
See the upgrade regions chart for full details on upgrade eligibility, as well as exceptions to the regions listed above.
All paid, published tickets other than tickets containing Basic Economy fares or Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) fares are eligible for Regional Premier Upgrades. Award tickets are not eligible for Regional Premier Upgrades.
How to request
Once the traveler′s ticket has been issued, members can redeem Regional Premier Upgrades by viewing the reservation on united.com and selecting the Upgrade Reservation link. Regional Premier Upgrades may also be redeemed by calling the United Customer Contact Center.
Regional Premier Upgrades may be confirmed as early as time of booking or time of upgrade request. If upgrade space is not available at the time when the upgrade is requested, members are placed on a waitlist. If the request includes multiple travelers, then priority is based on the highest Premier status in the reservation. The waitlist is cleared automatically by Premier status of the traveler first, followed by fare class, Chase United MileagePlus Club cardholders, United Corporate Preferred participants, and lastly by the date and time of request.* New waitlist requests for Regional Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure.
Later in 2018: We will include upgrade priority for primary Chase United MileagePlus Cardmembers who have met the $25K annual spend Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver on a Chase MileagePlus co-brand card. Priority order for these Cardmembers will fall after United Corporate Preferred participants and before time of request.
Upgrade confirmation on the day of departure
If we haven't confirmed your upgrade by the time you check in for your flight, you will be added to the Upgrades list at check-in, so there’s nothing that you need to do after submitting your original request. Our upgrade systems process requests until three hours before flight departure, at which point our gate agents will handle all remaining upgrade requests.
Sponsoring another member
Members may request an upgrade for any other traveler using a Regional Premier Upgrade, even if they are not traveling on the same reservation. In order to sponsor a Regional Premier Upgrade for another traveler, the sponsoring member will need to sign in to united.com using their own account, then search for the reservation using the traveling member's confirmation number and last name. The sponsoring member can then redeem the Regional Premier Upgrade by selecting the Upgrade Reservation link. Waitlist confirmation priority is based on the Premier status of the traveler.
- Each Regional Premier Upgrade is valid for a single one-way, one-cabin upgrade.
- Regional Premier Upgrades are earned based on flights taken between January 1 and December 31 of the same calendar year.
- Members must fly at least four flights on United or United Express during a calendar year in order to be eligible to earn Regional Premier Upgrades.
- Regional Premier Upgrades will be deposited at the time when they are earned, and will be valid for travel through the end of the following Program year. For example, a Regional Premier Upgrade earned in June 2016 will be valid for travel through January 2018.
- Regional Premier Upgrades in certain types of sales accounts may have different expiration policies.
- Regional Premier Upgrades may be redeemed at united.com or by calling the United Customer Contact Center.
- New waitlist requests for Regional Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure.
- Waitlisting is permitted. Travelers placed on a waitlist are prioritized according to the Premier status of the traveler. If the request includes multiple travelers, then priority is based on the highest Premier status on the reservation. Waitlists are processed based on Premier status of the traveler, then fare class, then time of request. All waitlists expire 24 hours before trip departure.
- Regional Premier Upgrades are valid only on select United-, United Express- or Copa Airlines-operated flights.
- Stopovers require multiple upgrade products. A stopover for a single, one-way trip within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada is defined as longer than 4 hours in the connecting city. A stopover for a single, one-way trip to or from all other destinations is defined as longer than 24 hours in the connecting city.
- Regional Premier Upgrades are fully transferable and may be used for travel with or without the earning Premier member.
- In the case of redeposit or cancellation, the Regional Premier Upgrade will be returned to the account from which it was redeemed.
- A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown.
- Regional Premier Upgrades are subject to capacity controls, which may limit the number of seats available for upgrade.
- Award tickets, flights that have already been upgraded, tickets containing Basic Economy fares, Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) fares, and certain fares such as industry discounts and tickets purchased on websites where you don’t know the exact flight itinerary or airline until after you’ve paid for the ticket, are not eligible for Regional Premier Upgrades.
- The sale, barter or other transfer or attempted sale, barter or other transfer of any mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status, other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United, is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status sold, bartered or otherwise transferred is in violation of the rules and any accounts or members involved in such sales, barters or other transfers may be subject to United’s Remedies. The acquisition, use, transfer or attempted acquisition, use or transfer of mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other transfer in violation of the rules may result in United’s exercise of United’s Remedies.
- The number of MileagePlus award miles, Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned is based on the fare class of the ticket originally purchased, not the upgraded class.
- Other restrictions may apply. Terms and other information are subject to change without notice.
* Fare class structure for Regional Premier Upgrades, in priority order, is Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G (for upgrades from United Economy to the next higher class of service on all aircraft).