Earning PQF and PQP when you fly with United and our partners
More information about earning PQP
Members earn PQP for the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on the following flights and purchases:
- Base fare + surcharge
- Economy Plus® seating or Economy Plus subscriptions
- Preferred seat purchases
- NEW MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
- NEW Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express
- NEW Flights ticketed and operated by our Star Alliance™ partners
PQF and PQP are credited to the account of the member who travels, not the member who purchases the ticket. This includes purchases such as MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays and Economy Plus subscriptions gifted to other members. Learn more about earning PQP.
Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner
Members can also earn Premier qualifying points on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines. Your PQP will be equal to award miles earned divided by 5 if you’re flying on a preferred partner; for other MileagePlus partner airlines, it will be award miles earned divided by 6.
Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.
For Star Alliance airlines as well as Air Dolomiti, Azul, Eurowings, Edelweiss, and Olympic:
Preferred partner PQP: Award miles divided by 5
MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6
For example, if you earned 360 award miles for your flight, you’ll receive 72 PQP if you flew with a preferred partner, and 60 PQP if you flew with a MileagePlus partner.
For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:
The maximum Premier qualifying points per flight earned on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines for flights on or after July 1, 2020.
|Class of service||Preferred partner PQP||MileagePlus partner PQP|
MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.
For more information on PQP accrual for a specific airline, visit our airline partner pages.
Earning PQP on bulk tickets
Members will earn PQP on bulk tickets for flights operated by United according to the specialty ticket award mile earn and fare class bonuses. Premier qualifying points will be equal to specialty ticket award miles earned divided by 5. When calculating PQP, specialty ticket award miles should not include any Premier bonus miles earned from specialty tickets.
For example, if you flew one way from New York/Newark (EWR) to London Heathrow (LHR) on a bulk ticket in P fare class:
Base miles: 3,465
Base miles earn: 100%
Fare class bonus: 50%
Award mile earn: 5,198
PQP earn: 1,040 (Award miles earned divided by 5)
You’d earn 5,198 award miles (3,465 miles x (100% base mile earn + 50% fare class bonus)) and 1,040 PQP (5,198 award miles divided by 5). Learn more about specialty tickets
For bulk tickets on flights operated by a Star Alliance partner:
Bulk tickets operated by Star Alliance partners will follow the same partner PQP formula that is used for flights not operated or ticketed by United. Your PQP earn can vary depending on whether you’re flying a MileagePlus preferred partner or a MileagePlus partner. For more information on earning PQP with a certain airline, visit one of our partner pages.
Exclusions to earning award miles, PQF and PQP
Award miles and Premier qualifying credits may not be earned on certain United and MileagePlus partner airline tickets. These include, but are not limited to:
- United tickets purchased and used in violation of United's Contract of Carriage, fare tariffs or the MileagePlus Program Rules.
- All free travel and all MileagePlus award travel
- Charter flights
- Industry free or industry reduced-rate tickets
- Promotional certificates
- Unpublished or opaque fares, including but not limited to those booked through priceline.com and Hotwire
- Tickets, products or services purchased and used in violation of the terms and conditions applicable to United's MileagePlus partners
- All Basic Economy tickets earn PQP, but will not earn PQF
If you make a ticket purchase through United for flight operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the fare class that appears on your ticket may differ from the fare class that the operating airline uses to determine flight miles earned. If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying flights or points.
Earning Premier qualifying credit with eligible United MileagePlus Chase cards
For program year 2020, MileagePlus members are eligible to earn PQP based on their annual credit card spend. Be sure to check out the new PQP amounts that cardmembers can earn in 2020.
- The United℠ Explorer Card, United Club℠ Card, United℠ Explorer Business Card, United Club℠ Business Card, United MileagePlus® Awards Card, United MileagePlus® Card, and United MileagePlus® Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.
- The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
- The United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card and United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
- United℠ TravelBank Cards do not earn PQP for card spend.
- PQP earned on eligible credit card spend will be awarded within 6 weeks of meeting the spend qualifications.
Flex PQP with the United Presidential Plus Card
United Presidential Plus Cardmembers can use their card to accelerate their progress toward Premier status. Cardmembers can convert their Flexible Premier qualifying points (Flex PQP) into Premier qualifying points that count toward Premier status. Flex PQP can only be used toward qualification for levels through Premier Platinum. Flex PQP cannot be combined with Premier qualifying flights (PQF) to earn additional Premier upgrades or to obtain Premier 1K® status. You must fly 54 PQF and earn 18,000 PQP or earn 24,000 PQP, exclusive of Flex PQP in order to qualify for Premier 1K status. The United Presidential Plus Card is no longer available to new applicants.
Former program waivers
- With the removal of Premier qualifying dollars, we are also removing the PQD spend waiver for members spending $25,000 or more on a United MileagePlus Chase Card. Our new credit card earn structure will instead award Premier qualifying points based on credit card spend.
- The 4-segment minimum waiver on eligible United MileagePlus Chase Cards has been removed from the 2020 program. Each member must meet a minimum of 4 flight segments on United/United Express to be eligible for Premier status.
On May 1, 2020, any residual Flex PQM (FPQM) balances will be converted and can be used as Flex PQP (FPQP) going forward at a ratio of 5:1.
- For example, a balance of 10,000 FPQM would become 2,000 FPQP.
- Similar to FPQM, FPQP will be subject to expiration in 39 months and can be used toward Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- FPQM balances earned prior to 2012 can also be used as FPQP and do not expire.
United Airlines reserves the right to exclude certain flights, fares, tickets, routes, products and/or programs from earning MileagePlus award miles and/or Premier qualifying credits. Please see United MileagePlus Chase terms and conditions for more information.