Earning PQF and PQP when you fly with United and our partners
More information about earning PQP
Members earn PQP for the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on the following flights and purchases:
- Base fare + surcharge
- Economy Plus® seating or Economy Plus subscriptions
- Preferred seat purchases
- MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
- Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express
- Flights ticketed and operated by our Star Alliance™ partners
PQF and PQP are credited to the account of the member who travels, not the member who purchases the ticket. This includes purchases such as MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays and Economy Plus subscriptions gifted to other members. Learn more about earning PQP.
- As of March 11, 2021, all bus service included in the purchase of air tickets will accrue PQP and redeemable miles. Bus transportation will not accrue Premier qualifying flights, minimum segments or lifetime miles toward Million Miler status.
Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner
Members can also earn Premier qualifying points on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines. Your PQP will be equal to award miles earned divided by 5 if you’re flying on a preferred partner; for other MileagePlus partner airlines, it will be award miles earned divided by 6.
Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.
For Star Alliance airlines as well as Air Dolomiti, Azul, Eurowings, Edelweiss, and Olympic:
- Preferred partner PQP: Award miles divided by 5
- MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6
Is my flight on a preferred partner or a MileagePlus partner? For more information on PQP accrual for a specific airline, visit our airline partner pages.
For example, if you earned 360 award miles for your flight, you’ll receive 72 PQP if you flew with a preferred partner, and 60 PQP if you flew with a MileagePlus partner.
The maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:
The maximum Premier qualifying points per flight earned on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines.
|Class of service||Preferred partner PQP||MileagePlus partner PQP|
Earning PQP on bulk tickets
Members will earn PQP on bulk tickets for flights operated by United according to the specialty ticket award mile earn and fare class bonuses. Premier qualifying points will be equal to specialty ticket award miles earned divided by 5. When calculating PQP, specialty ticket award miles should not include any Premier bonus miles earned from specialty tickets.
For example, if you flew one way from New York/Newark (EWR) to London Heathrow (LHR) on a bulk ticket in P fare class:
Base miles: 3,465
Base miles earn: 100%
Fare class bonus: 50%
Award mile earn: 5,198
PQP earn: 1,040 (Award miles earned divided by 5)
You’d earn 5,198 award miles (3,465 miles x (100% base mile earn + 50% fare class bonus)) and 1,040 PQP (5,198 award miles divided by 5). Learn more about specialty tickets
For bulk tickets on flights operated by a Star Alliance partner:
Bulk tickets operated by Star Alliance partners will follow the same partner PQP formula that is used for flights not operated or ticketed by United. Your PQP earn can vary depending on whether you’re flying a MileagePlus preferred partner or a MileagePlus partner. For more information on earning PQP with a certain airline, visit one of our partner pages.
Exclusions to earning award miles, PQF and PQP
Award miles and Premier qualifying credits may not be earned on certain United and MileagePlus partner airline tickets. These include, but are not limited to:
- United tickets purchased and used in violation of United's Contract of Carriage, fare tariffs or the MileagePlus Program Rules.
- All free travel and all MileagePlus award travel
- Charter flights
- Industry free or industry reduced-rate tickets
- Promotional certificates
- Unpublished or opaque fares, including but not limited to those booked through priceline.com and Hotwire
- Tickets, products or services purchased and used in violation of the terms and conditions applicable to United's MileagePlus partners
- All Basic Economy tickets earn PQP, but will not earn PQF
If you make a ticket purchase through United for flight operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the fare class that appears on your ticket may differ from the fare class that the operating airline uses to determine flight miles earned. If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying flights or points.