To request a change in the name on your MileagePlus account, select an option and follow the steps below. Please note that to comply with the TSA Secure Flight program, the name on your MileagePlus account should exactly match the government-issued ID that will be shown at the airport.
Simple name changes or corrections
The following are considered simple name changes and are permitted without supporting documentation.
- Correct the spelling of a first name (e.g., Sarah to Sara)
- Correct the spelling of a last name (e.g., Philips to Phillips)
- Change a name to or from a nickname (e.g., Bob to Robert, Elizabeth to Liz)
- Change or correct a prefix or title (e.g., Miss to Ms., Mstr. to Mr., Ms. to Dr.)
- Add or delete a middle name or initial (e.g., John Richard Ennis to John R. Ennis)
- Correct inverted first and last names (e.g., McCormack Charles to Charles McCormack)
Significant name changes
To ensure the security of your MileagePlus account, all other name changes must be in writing and include a copy of one of the following supporting legal documents:
- Marriage license
- Divorce decree
- Legal name change document
- Government-issued identification reflecting both your former and current names
MileagePlus Service Center
P.O. Box 1394
Houston, TX 77251-1394
How to request a name change
- Please make any necessary changes to the name on your MileagePlus account through your MileagePlus account profile.
- For a significant name change, locate and upload a copy of the required supporting documentation.
Please allow up to two weeks for us to process the change. Note that any future changes to this information must be made through the MileagePlus name change process or by contacting the MileagePlus Service Center. Review frequently asked questions about updating the information on my account.
United® and MileagePlus® reserve the right at their discretion to require written legal documentation for any name change request received (including marital status, military titles, titles and suffixes, nicknames, hyphenated names to any of its variations, inverted name changes, misspelled names, etc.).