TravelBank terms and conditions
Important: The following are the rules and other provisions (collectively, "Rules") of the United® TravelBank program ("TravelBank"). Your participation in TravelBank will be governed by these Rules, and it is your responsibility to read and understand all of them. These Rules cannot be superseded or changed, except in writing from United Airlines, or any of its affiliates, (collectively, "United"). The most current Rules may be found at united.com and this is the final authority on the Rules. The Rules on united.com shall be deemed to supersede any prior or conflicting versions thereof.
- TravelBank is offered at the discretion of United, and United has the right to terminate TravelBank, in whole or in part, or to change the Rules, benefits, conditions of participation, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice, even though changes may affect the value of benefits already accumulated. In the event of a conflict between these Rules and terms and conditions expressly stated by United to be applicable to the accumulation and/or use of TravelBank cash ("TravelBank Cash") and any award obtained through the use of TravelBank Cash ("TravelBank Award"), the terms and conditions expressly stated shall control but all non-conflicting Rules shall still apply.
- Participation in TravelBank requires that the owner of the account be a member of the MileagePlus Program ("Member"). All MileagePlus Program Rules ("Program Rules") apply to a Member's TravelBank account. The Program Rules are expressly incorporated herein by reference.
- The Rules control your membership and participation in TravelBank and no covenants at law or in equity shall be implied or incorporated, all of which are expressly disclaimed. United has the sole right to interpret and apply the Rules. IF UNITED OR A PARTNER IMPROPERLY DENIES AN ACCRUAL OR BENEFIT, LIABILITY WILL NOT EXCEED THE EQUIVALENT VALUE, AS DETERMINED BY UNITED, OR THE PARTNER AS THE CASE MAY BE, OF THAT ACCRUAL OR BENEFIT. IN NO EVENT SHALL UNITED BE LIABLE TO A MEMBER, OR ANYONE ACTING ON THE MEMBER'S BEHALF, FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST REVENUE OR PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF THE ACTS OR OMISSIONS OF UNITED IN CONNECTION WITH TRAVELBANK, OR COSTS OR ATTORNEYS' FEES. Any abuse of TravelBank or failure to follow the Rules, the Program Rules, United's contract of carriage, United's fare rules, Partner (as defined below) rules, terms and conditions or any abuse of any Partner offers or programs, any violation of law, rule, or regulation, any conduct detrimental to the interests of United, any fraudulent activity or attempted fraudulent activity, or any misrepresentation of any information furnished to United or its affiliates by any Member, anyone else acting on the Member's behalf, or any third party (collectively, "Prohibited Conduct"), may result in United exercising any one or more of the following remedies ("United's Remedies"), with or without notice to the Member: (a) the termination by United of such Member's membership in TravelBank or the MileagePlus Program (including without limitation any Premier® or Million Miler status, if applicable), or both, (b) the removal or cancellation by United of any or all accrued TravelBank Cash, mileage, Premier Qualifying Credits (as defined in the Program Rules) and any pending or outstanding TravelBank Award, certificates, or benefits (including without limitation any benefits associated with Premier (and/or Million Miler) status, if applicable), (c) the confiscation of any TravelBank Award or other award tickets, denial of boarding with respect to any TravelBank Award or other award ticket holders or, at United's discretion, completion of the travel only upon payment of an applicable revenue fare (and applicable taxes and fees), or (d) the loss of other TravelBank or MileagePlus Program benefits. Members whose accounts have been terminated shall not be eligible to participate in any aspect of TravelBank and shall not be eligible to enroll with new accounts.
- In the event United suspects Prohibited Conduct, United reserves the right, with or without notice to the Member, (a) to delay or suspend all activity in any TravelBank account, and (b) to audit or investigate any TravelBank account at any time. During the course of an audit or investigation a Member's account information may be shared with any third party with whom United has contracted to assist in performing such audit or investigation. While the account is suspended, the Member may continue to accrue TravelBank Cash in their TravelBank account, but no use of TravelBank Cash or other transactions will be permitted and any outstanding TravelBank Award and benefits will be subject to cancellation or suspension. Upon completion of the audit or investigation, if Prohibited Conduct has been detected by United, United may exercise any one or more of United's Remedies or any other remedies available at law or in equity.
- Each Member is responsible for being and remaining knowledgeable as to the Rules and the amount of TravelBank Cash in such Member's account. A Member shall notify United promptly of an erroneous TravelBank Cash balance in such Member's account. In the event a Member's TravelBank Cash balance is erroneously credited for any reason, the Member's use of such erroneously credited TravelBank Cash shall constitute a violation of these Rules. United may, but shall have no obligation to, send newsletters, statements, correspondence or other materials, including notifications of TravelBank changes or special promotions. Each Member shall be responsible for advising United of any change of contact information and United shall have no liability for misdirected correspondence or any consequences thereof.
- The accumulation of TravelBank Cash and/or the use of TravelBank Cash for a TravelBank Award are subject to these Rules. The accumulation of TravelBank Cash does not entitle Members to any vested rights with respect to TravelBank. TravelBank Cash may not be transferred or assigned except as expressly permitted by United in writing or under programs fully authorized and/or sponsored by United.
- TravelBank is maintained for the benefit of United and individual Members. Only individuals are eligible for participation in TravelBank, and each individual may maintain only one account in TravelBank. Duplicate accounts in TravelBank will be subject to cancellation. If a Member maintains duplicate accounts and United suspects or finds Prohibited Conduct, United reserves the right to exercise United's Remedies with respect to each account. Only the Member named on the TravelBank account will be entitled access to account information. TravelBank account information is United's proprietary information and, except as otherwise authorized by United, Members may access information only for the purpose of obtaining information about their account. No Member may delegate or grant access (via power of attorney, contract, or otherwise) to a third party. Any Member who shares account information with any third party will be held responsible for such third-party's actions with respect to the account. Account information may be reproduced for use by the applicable Member but must contain copyright and proprietary notices and redistribution in any way requires United's written permission.
- Accrued TravelBank Cash does not constitute property of the Member and is not transferable except as set forth herein. In the event of the death or divorce of a Member, United may, in its sole discretion, credit all or a portion of such Member's accrued TravelBank Cash to authorized persons upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to United and payment of applicable fees.
- All calculations made in connection with TravelBank, including without limitation, the value of any benefits, TravelBank Cash, and/or the revisions of calculations (including without limitation any estimates), will be made by United in its discretion and such calculations will be considered final.
- Neither United's waiver nor consent to a deviation from the Rules nor any course of dealing shall be construed as a waiver by United of any subsequent violation of the Rules and United may invoke United's Remedies for a violation of the Rules despite any such prior waiver or consent.
Prohibition of sale, barter or other transfer
- The sale, barter or other transfer or attempted sale, barter or other transfer of any TravelBank Cash, TravelBank Award or other benefit, other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United, is expressly prohibited. Any TravelBank Cash, TravelBank Award or benefit sold, bartered or otherwise transferred is in violation of the Rules and any accounts or Members involved in such sales, barters or other transfers may be subject to United's Remedies. The acquisition, use, transfer or attempted acquisition, use or transfer of TravelBank Cash, TravelBank Awards or benefits that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other transfer in violation of The Rules may result in United's exercise of United's Remedies.
- "Account Activity" shall be deemed to occur when a Member either (a) accrues TravelBank Cash in such Member's account in any manner recognized by TravelBank, including without limitation the use of a United credit card, or (b) obtains a TravelBank Award by the use of TravelBank Cash in the Member's account. In cases where TravelBank Cash is for any reason removed from an account, as for example the use of TravelBank Cash for a TravelBank Award, and there is a subsequent cancellation of a transaction and a redeposit of the TravelBank Cash to the Member's account, the cancellation of the transaction and redeposit of the TravelBank Cash to the account shall not qualify as "Account Activity." Neither United's correction of TravelBank Cash in an account nor Prohibited Conduct shall qualify as Account Activity.
- "Partners" means airlines, banks, rental car companies, hotels or other entities other than United who may from time to time offer products, services, or other benefits, including without limitation status, or market to Members or who may permit the accrual of TravelBank Cash by Members. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products, services or other benefits provided by participating companies and Partners. The Partners are independent entities, and United is not responsible for the nature or quality of any products or services provided by Partners, nor for any solicitation efforts or other acts or omissions by Partners. TravelBank Cash accrual and other offers made to Members by a Partner for utilizing a Partner's product or service can vary based upon the type of membership in the MileagePlus Program, type of United credit card and other factors. Details on specific Partner offers are as published from time to time and Partner offers will be governed by the terms and conditions set forth by the applicable Partner. In the event a Member is permitted to use TravelBank Cash for a TravelBank Award, routing and destinations for TravelBank Award travel on airline Partners will be determined by our individual travel partners.
- United shall have no liability for Partner withdrawals from TravelBank; offer changes, including without limitation changes to the amount of TravelBank Cash offered; discontinued United or Partner products, services or other benefits; cancellations caused by Partner withdrawals; or any act or failure to act by a Partner. United may change the criteria for Partner offers or impose other restrictions upon the use of Partner offers with or without notice.
- United reserves the right to deny the accrual of TravelBank Cash or use of TravelBank Cash for TravelBank Awards generally and in connection with the use of any Partner product, service or other benefits, in the event that accrual of such TravelBank Cash or use of TravelBank Award is prohibited by law or otherwise.
Accrual of TravelBank Cash
- United expressly reserves the right to establish the means of accruing TravelBank Cash, to delete or modify any or all of the means currently recognized or to exclude specific types of transactions from the accumulation of TravelBank Cash, in each case, with or without notice. TravelBank Cash may be earned for purchases made through qualifying activity on authorized credit or debit cards or as expressly allowed under any applicable offer. Members may not accrue TravelBank Cash for air travel unless specifically stated otherwise.
- Members may be required to supply a password or other security measure when conducting certain transactions in writing, by phone or on the Internet for security or other purposes. A password or other security measure may be required for certain services, including but not limited to making reservations, using TravelBank Cash and changing an address. Members are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of their password or other security credentials, as applicable. United is not responsible for stolen security credentials or passwords and is not required to redeposit TravelBank Cash for any TravelBank Award purchased using the Member's security credentials or password.
- Except as otherwise expressly permitted by United, TravelBank Cash can be accrued only after the Member's official enrollment in TravelBank and can be applied only to the Member's account.
- In the case of air travel, benefits associated with Premier status (e.g., bonus award miles, Premier Access®, baggage allowance, upgrade benefits, etc.) will be based on the Member's Premier status at the time of travel, not at the time that air travel is purchased, booked or reserved with TravelBank Cash.
- TravelBank Cash will be accrued in a Member's account only when the Member avails themselves of a means of accrual recognized under TravelBank. United expressly reserves the right to establish the means of accruing TravelBank Cash and to delete or modify any or all of the means currently recognized or to exclude specific types of transactions from the accumulation of TravelBank Cash, in each case, with or without notice. Further, United expressly reserves the right to establish the means of accruing Premier Qualifying Credits or MileagePlus miles, if any, when using TravelBank Cash for any TravelBank Award including Awards with multiple forms of payment.
In addition, some methods of TravelBank Cash accrual, at United's discretion, by itself or in conjunction with United's Partners, may be excluded from eligibility for benefits, Premier status, mileage accrual and Premier Qualifying Credits.
- Partner offers will be governed by the terms and conditions set forth by the applicable Partner. United reserves the right to make promotional offers by United or MileagePlus Partners selectively available to certain Members at any time, based on flight activity, geographic locations, Premier status level, TravelBank Cash accumulation, mileage accumulation, TravelBank or MileagePlus Program participation, or other factors determined at United's sole discretion.
Claims about Member balances
- United will, in most cases, credit its Members' accounts with accrued TravelBank Cash. However, each Member shall have the responsibility to ensure that such Member's TravelBank Cash is properly credited. United reserves the right to adjust a Member's account balance if TravelBank Cash was deposited in error. Where a Member contends that TravelBank Cash has been accrued but not credited, or in cases where United deems verification is required, United reserves the right to require proof from the Member, including but not limited to receipts or similar documentation verifying qualifying activity.
- Each Member shall have the responsibility to notify United of any erroneous or fraudulent deduction from such Member's TravelBank account within twelve (12) months of the date of the deduction. United will review such Member's claim and reserves the right to require proof, documentation or certification from such Member during the review. A redeposit into to such Member's account of the TravelBank Cash claimed to be erroneously deducted will be determined by United in its sole discretion after review and United's decision will be considered final.
TravelBank Cash expiration
- TravelBank Cash accrued in a Member's TravelBank account shall be maintained in the account until they are redeemed or until they expire, whichever occurs first.
- As a general rule (and unless stated otherwise by United under the terms of a particular offer or the terms of certain qualifying activity as determined by United from time to time) all accrued TravelBank Cash in an Account is subject to expiration and/or forfeiture for any Member who fails at any time to engage in Account Activity (as defined above) for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months. United may, but shall have no obligation to, send a Member a notification of TravelBank Cash nearing or subject to expiration.
Use of TravelBank Cash
- TravelBank Cash is valid for air travel purchases on United and United Express® flights and as otherwise permitted by United. After a TravelBank Award is issued, a service charge may be imposed for each change or cancellation requested by the Member.
- United may from time to time permit TravelBank Cash to be used as a form of payment in combination with other forms of payment including without limitation MileagePlus miles, cash, travel certificates or credit cards.
- United shall establish the amount, structure, availability, process and other criteria for TravelBank Awards, all of which are subject to modification, cancellation or limitation at United's discretion, with or without notice. Restrictions on TravelBank Award use may be imposed at any time. United may prohibit use of a TravelBank Award when required by law or otherwise. TravelBank Awards may, at the request of the Member, be in the name of the Member or in the name and for the use of any other person only for non-commercial purposes.
- Tickets purchased in whole or in part with TravelBank Cash will be subject to the taxes, fees, tariffs, contract of carriage, ticket terms, and re-accommodation policies of the carrier on which travel is scheduled.
- Members are responsible for all taxes, fees and surcharges, including without limitation passenger facility charges, international departure tax, customs users immigration fees, agricultural tax and airport security charges and Members must pay them at the time of ticketing.
- If TravelBank Cash is used to purchase air travel, purchaser is required to pay, using either TravelBank Cash or recognized currency, all taxes, including, but not limited to, the US Excise Tax and any other International ad valorem taxes shown in the booking path for the portion of the air travel purchased with TravelBank Cash, regardless of how the TravelBank Cash has been obtained, and the source of which United may not be able to determine. Some purchases made with TravelBank Cash may be subject to a refund that purchaser may seek from the relevant taxing authority.
- TravelBank, including without limitation the accrual and use of TravelBank Cash may be prohibited or restricted by the laws in some non-U.S. countries. Nothing in these Rules should be read to override or circumvent any such non-U.S. laws. United may exercise any one or more of United's Remedies, with or without notice to the Member, in the event TravelBank, or a Member's participation in any way in TravelBank, violates non-U.S. laws.