Your privacy is important to us
Scope of this policy
- On United-managed websites and mobile websites, such as united.com, mileageplus.com, mobile.united.com, hub.united.com;
- Through United-managed mobile applications, such as the United App;
- Offline, through a United Customer Contact Center agent or other travel agent.
The information we collect is controlled by United Airlines, Inc., which is headquartered in the United States at 233 S. Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60606.
- United Cargo transactions;
- United Wi-FiSM service portal;
- United ClubSM locations’ Wi-Fi service;
- United’s Technical Operations website; or
With respect to the above, please see those respective sites for the privacy policies that may apply.
Information we collect about you
United collects and maintains information, including personal information, about you directly from you (both online and offline) and automatically when you use our sites and third-party sites. We collect information from you when you make travel arrangements, contact us, complete a survey, register for the MileagePlus program, participate in a promotion, or otherwise interact with us. The type of information we collect about you depends on your particular interaction with us, and includes the following information:
- Contact information;
- MileagePlus number and security information;
- Gender and date of birth;
- Payment information;
- Passport information and photograph;
- Government ID or redress number;
- Travel preferences and special requests;
- Purchase information (both travel and non-travel purchases);
- User and activity data from our websites and mobile applications;
- Survey responses; and
- Tax identification number of promotion or survey winner, depending on the value of the prize.
Information we collect directly from you
Based on your interaction with us, we collect information directly from you as described below.
When you enroll in MileagePlus, or if you are already a MileagePlus member, we collect information such as your name, address, phone number(s), email address, MileagePlus account number, and password or other account security authentication information. If you create a traveler profile, we also will collect the information that you choose to provide to us. You have the option of providing us with payment information, telephone numbers, email addresses, general requests or special needs, travel preferences and loyalty program information.
If you make a purchase with us, whether as a MileagePlus member or as a “Guest”, we collect traveler information, travel and contact preferences, and payment information.
Offline purchases: Telephone, travel agent or ticket counter
To make a purchase or transact other business with a United Customer Contact Center agent, a travel agent, or a customer service representative (collectively, “Reservations Agents”), Reservations Agents collect traveler information, travel and contact preferences, and payment information. We may monitor and/or record telephone calls to Reservations Agents. By continuing with the call, you are deemed to consent to such monitoring and/or recording.
United may collect information such as name, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, and credit card information, in order to provide service to members of its United Club.
United may collect credit card and MileagePlus information in flight to enable present and/or future purchases.
Due to the nature of our services, United will collect and maintain travel information, about children under the age of 13 when necessary to comply with federal aviation or security regulations, for safety or security reasons, or as otherwise necessary for United to provide transportation or other services requested.
Information we collect automatically
We and our service providers automatically collect information about your use of our sites through cookies, web beacons, log files and other technologies. Such information includes the following:
- Domain name;
- Browser type and operating system;
- IP address;
- Web pages you view;
- Links you click;
- Length of time of your visit;
- Your activities on our sites and your movement through these sites; and
- Referring URL or webpage that led you to our sites.
Information we collect through our mobile application(s)
We collect information from you when you use our mobile application(s): name, email address, MileagePlus account information, government ID or passenger redress number, passport information and/or photograph, date of birth, payment information (e.g., credit card number, expiration date and billing name and address), if not already provided.
You may store your information in order to facilitate your travel or purchase needs. The mobile application(s) may also store user-provided data, unless you choose to delete it, for as long as you use the related feature of the application. Information provided for traveler data, security clearance, purchases and related activities will be stored in our operational systems, as needed, to provide services you request. If such information is stored in your MileagePlus account it will not be accessible if your MileagePlus account is closed.
We also collect information automatically through your use of our mobile application(s) (through cookies, beacons or other tracking technologies designed for mobile applications):
- Your pinpointed physical location information from technologies like GPS, Wi-Fi, or cell tower proximity (geo-location tracking), if you agree to grant us permission to do so;
- At select airports in the U.S., your precise location may be tracked continuously to provide you with location-based services, if you agree to grant us permission to do so. For more information, and to learn how to turn off this tracking, please see the Location Services FAQ located on the side menu of the United App;
- Your domain name;
- Device ID or alternative ID where required by the platform provider;
- Electronic data concerning operating systems and computing devices/browser;
- Features you use and links you click;
- Amount of time spent in the application;
- Installs and uninstalls;
- Transaction details and history;
- Other information you have granted us permission to access.
Information we collect from third parties
We collect information about you from third parties. If you make a reservation through a travel agent, we will obtain your travel information from that agent. We may also obtain information about you from our marketing partners, advertisers and other third parties.
Sensitive information we collect directly from you
How we use your information
General - applicable to all sources of information
We primarily use your information, including personal information, to provide our services to you and to fulfill your requests. In certain circumstances, such as for advertising purposes, we combine your information with other information that we have about you, that is publicly available and/or that we have obtained from third parties (either individually or in the aggregate). We also use your information for the following purposes:
- For flight information/wireless services. You may register for receipt of flight information and other wireless services by indicating your preference to receive this information by providing relevant information or by granting applicable permissions. Participation in these services may be optional.
- To improve your user experience. To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, such as information about your travel schedule; to offer customized location information, personalized help and instructions; and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using our sites or services.
- For operational needs and providing services. To carry out our operations and services and to facilitate your transactions or requests.
- For marketing and advertising. United uses your information, consistent with applicable law, individually, in the aggregate, and/or combined with demographic information that we maintain or collect from third parties, for marketing and advertising purposes (via email, direct mail, telephone, web or other electronic advertising) and to send you news and newsletters. Specifically, information that we collect about you may be used to send you email, direct mail, or telephone communications about offers from United, its partners or other third parties, that might be of interest to you (please see the section on Disclosing your information below and the section on Changing your marketing preferences below). We also use your information to determine appropriate advertising channels and venues and to place ads on such channels and venues, including placing advertising on social networking sites.
- For surveys and promotions. As permitted under applicable law, we offer you the opportunity to participate in a survey or promotion. We use survey results for various purposes, including to enhance our services and sites and to develop improved promotions, and, if you provide your name, we may contact you to discuss your comments. Unless otherwise stated in the promotion or survey, we use the contact information that we collect through promotions for the purpose of notifying the winner. If you win a promotion, we may request additional information.
- To improve and maintain our sites and our services. We use your information to improve and maintain our sites and services, respond to user desires and preferences, for research and analytical purposes, such as improving our operations, for security purposes, and for protecting ourselves and users of our services.
- To protect our rights and interests, and the rights and interests of other users of our services.
- As permitted by law.
In addition to the foregoing, specific examples of how we use information derived from the following categories are described below.
We use information that we collect from our MileagePlus members to enroll you in the MileagePlus program; to provide mileage credit for program-related purchases and activities related to United, MileagePlus partners and other third parties (please see the section on Disclosing your information below); to communicate with you on the status of your MileagePlus account; to notify you of any special promotions for which you might be eligible; to pre-fill certain data fields so you do not need to enter the same information multiple times; perform the requested services; to process your transactions (including billing); to notify you about flight information, reservation confirmation, flight or seat changes, boarding time(s), and available ancillary services.
We may use the information that we collect about you to send you email, direct mail, or telephone communications about offers from United, our partners or other entities, that might be of interest to you. As discussed in the section regarding Disclosing your information, consistent with applicable law, we also may disclose your information to our partners and other entities for their own marketing purposes.
We do not knowingly use information we collect about children known to be under the age of 16 for any marketing or promotional purposes, nor do we permit our affiliates, third-party sponsors or other third parties with whom we may share information to do so. We use the information collected about children known to be under 16 only to provide services. We will give out personal information about children if required by law, to comply with a court order or subpoena, or to protect the safety and security of visitors and our sites.
Information collected from our mobile application(s)
In addition to the uses of your information described above, if you use our mobile applications, we use your information to send push notifications (after requesting your permission to do so), such as updates on flights, gate changes and offers or other information, to your mobile device.
If you permit us to collect your geo-location information, then we may provide you with location-based tools, such as airport/map views, city code search, and United Club locations or parking spaces, or send you travel notices specific to your location. In addition, for certain mobile applications, we may use geo-location tracking, subject to your granting United permission, to provide you with other services and information, such as identifying nearby retailer locations and/or to present you with offers which may be of interest to you, to facilitate your services and/or purchases through the application and to tally your miles and credit your account. Geo-location information may also be used to protect United’s interests.
You may withdraw your permission or opt out of geo-location tracking. Please consult your chosen mobile device manufacturer for information on setting your location-tracking features.
We promote our sites via Internet advertising. If you click on such an advertisement, information such as your mobile device’s ID, as permitted by the platform provider, may be sent to the advertising network so that they and United may track the effectiveness of our advertising. This information might also be used for frequency capping, estimating the number of unique users, debugging or security measures and protecting United’s interests. You may opt out of the collection of such information by uninstalling the mobile application(s). Once the mobile application(s) has been uninstalled, all information stored in the application will be deleted, including any preferences you previously set or enabled.
Disclosing your information
United may transmit or transfer, as applicable, your personal information to the following persons/entities. Unless otherwise noted, these entities act as our processors and are not independent controllers of your information:
- Affiliates. We may disclose information we collect from you to our affiliates or subsidiaries, which may act as a co-controller of your information. Our affiliates and subsidiaries may use your information for various purposes, including marketing their products and services to you.
- Service providers/Data processors. We may share your information with service providers that assist us and perform functions on our behalf. In some cases service providers, such as information technology and data processing vendors, data storage services, etc., may be located outside the United States and your personal information may be processed or stored in other countries (please see the section on Location of your information below). We also use service providers to assist us in determining and placing relevant advertising.
- Non-affiliated third parties. We may transfer your information to the following third parties as necessary to complete your transaction, fulfill your requests, and for their own marketing purposes, as permitted by law: airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, travel agencies, baggage services entities, other travel services or ticketing entities, and other entities involved in travel reservations or ticketing; governmental or law enforcement authorities or border control agencies; partners with whom we jointly offer a product or service; entities with whom you purchase or redeem miles; corporate customers as part of our management of agreements we have with them. In some circumstances, these entities also act as controllers of your information. Specifically, we may also transfer your information to the following third parties: commercial partners for marketing or sale of our products or services or marketing or sale of their own products or services; financial companies for them to offer you their products or services or a co-branded card, including Banorte. You consent to this transfer unless you advise us to the contrary by contacting email@example.com.
- Research and analytics. We may use and disclose your information for research and analytics purposes.
- Aggregate information. Aggregate information, such as demographic information, domain names, other site traffic information, etc., may at times be transferred with United partners or other third parties. Examples of aggregate information are X% of eligible tickets purchased are eTickets; X% of subscribers use a mobile application, etc.
- Law enforcement/Legal processes/other uses. United may also disclose your information: if required to do so by law, court order, subpoena or other legal process; as requested by a governmental or law enforcement authority; to protect the rights or property of United, its customers, its sites or site users; or when we believe in good faith that it is in the interests of aviation security or that disclosure is otherwise necessary or advisable. In certain circumstances, United’s service providers may be required to disclose information to government or law enforcement authorities. Security, health and customs and immigration laws in the U.S. and many other countries require all airlines, including United, to provide border control agencies or other governmental authorities with passenger data. In order to comply with these laws we may disclose information about you and your travel arrangements to such authorities.
- Business transactions. If United is or may be acquired by or merges with another entity, if any of our assets are transferred to another entity, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information that we collected from and about you to the other entity.
- Additional notice for users of certain mobile websites. You may make purchases using MileagePlus award miles through certain mobile websites. If you choose to use these sites, then United will receive information from the third party about your purchase and will exchange information with the third party to facilitate the transaction and the use of miles from your account.
United and our service providers collect information by using technologies and methodologies, such as "cookies", tags, web beacons or other similar technologies that enable tracking as you browse our sites. We use these technologies to authenticate you as a user, to remember your preferences for using the site, to present offers that may be of interest and to facilitate transactions, such as flight searches and purchases. We and our service providers also use these tools to analyze use of our sites and our services. We may use this information in the aggregate or combine it with information that we have already collected about you.
Cookie. "Cookies" are small bits of information that are stored on your computer by your web browser. Web beacons or “pixel tags” are small strings of code placed on a web page or in an email message for the purpose of transferring information. Cookies and the other technologies discussed in this section allow us to recognize your preference information, to track your transactions and to facilitate effective website administration.
If you do not want your information to be collected through cookies, you can change the preferences in your particular Internet browser. Some website functionality may not work properly if your browser does not accept cookies. Specifically, if you choose not to accept our cookies and are a registered user, you will not have access to your information, such as your user profile, itineraries, award travel, upgrades and MileagePlus summary information, on this site. Although you cannot log into the site as a registered user if you disable our cookies, you can still purchase on the site by logging in as a “Guest”. Please consult your chosen Internet browser for instructions on how to change your cookie settings.
Local storage objects. We may use Flash Local Storage Objects ("Flash LSOs") to store your preferences and to personalize your visit. Flash LSOs are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. Typically, you cannot control, delete or disable the acceptance of Flash LSOs through your web browser. For more information on Flash LSOs or to learn how to manage your settings for Flash LSOs, go to the Adobe Flash Player Help Page, choose “Global Storage Settings Panel“ and follow the instructions. To see the Flash LSOs currently on your computer, choose “Website Storage Settings Panel“ and follow the instructions to review and, if you want, to delete any specific Flash LSO.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. These technologies allow us to recognize your preference information, keep track of your transactions and facilitate effective website administration. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We and our service providers may use clear GIFs (also known as web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our sites and services to, among other things, track the activities of visitors, help us manage content and compile statistics about usage. We and our service providers may also use clear GIFs in HTML emails sent to you to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed and track whether our emails are forwarded.
In addition, some advertising technology used by United to deliver advertisements may use separate cookies and other tracking technologies. This technology may be delivered via visits to our website, email messages, apps or otherwise. Web beacons on some pages of our site, in conjunction with these advertising cookies and our other cookies, enable the advertising technology to better understand onsite activity in the aggregate, to recognize a browser's cookie when a browser visits this website, other websites or apps, and to learn which advertisements bring users to our site or our apps or otherwise take action.
Third-party ad networks may be members of either the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) or About Ads-Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAI”). If they are members and you do not want to receive targeted advertisements from these third-party ad networks, you may opt out. Information as to member companies, the practices of such third-party ad networks and your choices regarding having information used by these companies and how to opt out, can be found at either: http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp for NAI members or http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ for DAI members. Information on how to opt out of the use of your information by DoubleClick is available at http://www.google.com/policies/technologies/ads/ and information on how to opt out of Google Analytics is available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Opting out of one or more NAI or DAI members means that only those particular members will no longer deliver targeted content or ads to you. It does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content or ads on our websites or other non-United websites. If your browser is configured to reject cookies when you visit one of the above referenced opt-out pages and then you erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your NAI or DAI opt-out may no longer be active.
Your legal rights
In terms of applicable law, you have the following rights regarding the personal data we obtain and process from you (“ARCO Rights”):
- Access – You have the right to know what personal data we process, what it is used for and the conditions of use thereof.
- Rectification – You have the right to request the rectification of your personal data in the event that it is inaccurate, incomplete or outdated.
- Cancellation – You have the right to request that your personal data is removed from our databases when you consider that it is not being used properly.
- Opposition – You have the right to oppose the use of your personal data for specific purposes.
If you would like to exercise any of the ARCO Rights, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your message, please indicate the ARCO right you would like to exercise. We may ask you for additional information to confirm your identity and for security purposes. We may not always be able to fully address your request, for example if it would impact the duty of confidentiality we owe to others, or if we are legally entitled to deal with the request in a different way.
Protecting information collected
United maintains physical, administrative, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information. When you place orders online to purchase services or access your MileagePlus account information, we use secure servers to protect your personal information, which is intended to encrypt the personal information that is transmitted between you and our sites. Although United takes reasonable steps to safeguard and to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information, it cannot be responsible for the acts of those who gain unauthorized access and United makes no warranty, express, implied, or otherwise, that we will prevent unauthorized access to your personal information.
Your role in protecting your information
To protect your privacy and United's proprietary databases and systems, you should not share any of your information, such as MileagePlus number or password, with any unauthorized individuals or third-party information aggregators that would allow them access to your sensitive account information. For more information, see our PIN/Password Frequently Asked Questions page. You should also take all necessary steps to secure your mobile devices and protect information you may have stored on them. We do not have control over the security of your mobile device. United assumes no responsibility for the loss of information associated with security disrupting technologies, reverse engineering of mobile device applications or malware, that compromise the United mobile application(s) as a result of owner or third-party initiated changes to the mobile device. The security of that mobile device is the responsibility of its owner, not United.
Changing your marketing preferences
MileagePlus members can opt out of receiving marketing or promotion-related emails, phone calls or direct mail from United by accessing their account profile information on the United website and changing their profile to indicate their desire to be excluded. In addition, members can contact the MileagePlus Service Center by phone or in writing and request a profile change. Emails sent to members will contain a message and link on how to opt out of that type of communication in the future. Regardless of your opt-out preferences, we reserve the right to send you emails or other communications for administrative purposes.
Location of your information/Data transmittal and transfer/Notice to non-US persons
Other sites/digital channels
Legal effect and changes to the policy