Redeem a certificate
Electronic certificates may be used for travel on United- and United Express®-operated flights, and United Express-marketed flights operated by other airlines. Certificates are not valid for travel on Star AllianceTM flights or United-marketed flights operated by other airlines.
Redeem your certificate
If you have an electronic certificate or a discount code for a travel certificate, please select one of the options below for instructions.
- On the united.com home page, enter the origin, destination and travel dates. Select the "Search" button.
- Choose your flights and enter your contact information.
- When you reach the Payment information page, select "United payment types." You will see an option to redeem a travel certificate. Enter your certificate number or PIN and the issuer's last name and select "Apply."
- Select the "Purchase" button to finish booking your flight.
Please note that certificates cannot be used toward non-ticket purchases, including but not limited to:
- Economy Plus®
- Premier Access®
- Award Accelerator®
- Premier AcceleratorSM
- Personal Miles®
- United Travel Options bundles
If you’d like to purchase these products, you’ll need to finish booking your flight with your travel certificate first. Then, you can sign in to your MileagePlus account or enter your confirmation number and last name at the bottom of the My trips page to make additional purchases.
Global Premier Upgrades and Regional Premier Upgrades can’t be combined with travel certificates when you’re booking a flight.
- On the united.com home page, enter the origin, destination, travel dates and any other search criteria. Select the "All search options" link.
- Enter your offer code, plus the PIN provided, in the "Promotions and certificates" field. Please do not include any spaces. (Example: 15XXXX123JX45K6) Select the "Search" button.
- In your search results, flights displaying "Special offer" are eligible for your discount. The price shown is the discounted price.
- Choose your seats and book your flights.
Terms and conditions
Release of liability
By accepting a travel certificate, you release United, the operating carrier, and their respective employees, agents and representatives from any and all liability, claims or damages resulting or arising from the matters relating to your flight, compensation therefore or any related complaint. This release does not apply to the extent it is contrary to an applicable law outside of the United States.
Certificate terms and conditions
- Travel certificates are redeemable toward transportation on any flight operated by United Airlines, Inc. or United Express. Otherwise, they are not valid on flights operated by other airlines, including United marketed codeshare and Star Alliance flights.
- You may redeem or view travel certificate details at united.com by clicking on Deals & Offers, Promotional certificates, and entering the promotion code and PIN in the offer code box. You can also call United at 800-UNITED-1 (800-864-8331). A fee may apply for redemption via telephone. You will be asked to enter the last name of the certificate recipient. Certificates may not be redeemed through a travel agency.
- The promotion code and PIN must be presented at time of ticket purchase and expire one year from original date of issue, unless otherwise noted.
- Travel certificates have no cash value.
- Travel certificates will not be honored in conjunction with prepaid tickets, fee-waived tickets, MileagePlus awards, tour packages or other service charges, including excess baggage charges, pet charges, etc.
- If the face amount of a travel certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted, or the expiration date has been reached, whichever comes first.
- Travel certificates are not transferable and may not be sold, traded or bartered. However, the original recipient of a certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering the certificate. Any sale or barter of a certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render a certificate null and void such that the certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
- Positive identification may be required when using a certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or unintended use of a certificate by a person other than the original recipient.
- United's Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.
We no longer issue or accept paper certificates. If you're holding a paper certificate that we previously issued to you, you can exchange it for an electronic certificate by following the steps below. Then, you’ll be able to redeem your certificate online or over the phone.
To exchange your paper certificate:
- Go to united.com/papercertificate
- Enter your personal details and paper certificate number.
- Upload a copy of your paper certificate or mail it to the address provided.
Your request will take up 72 hours to process once we receive it. After we’ve verified your paper certificate, we’ll email you instructions on how to redeem your new electronic certificate.
Please note that we no longer accept paper certificates at airport locations.