International Travel Requirements

International travel requirements

Learn more about necessary travel identification documents and health requirements for your next international flight.

International travel requirements

Learn more about necessary travel identification documents and health requirements for your next international flight.

International travel documents

Prepare your travel ID or any documentation you need ahead of time, including passport, visa, ESTA and more.

Identification for travel

U.S. law requires all customers, regardless of citizenship, age, or destination, to hold a secure document to leave the United States by air.

For all travel within the United States, you’ll need U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains your name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature.

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
  • An acceptable photo ID issued by a federally recognized Tribal Nation or Indian Tribe
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
  • Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)


Passports that are damaged beyond normal wear and tear or show evidence of intentional alterations may not be accepted for international travel by United.

The U.S. Department of State recommends checking your passport expiration date at least 9 months before planning international trips. Some countries require your passport to have at least 6 months left before it expires. Check the Department of State for the latest passport processing times and guidance.

If you are a U.S. citizen and you have lost your passport or it has been stolen while you’re traveling abroad, contact the U.S. Embassy in the country where you’re at.


If you’re a citizen of a foreign country and would like to visit the U.S., you’ll probably need a visa. There are many types of visas you could apply for. Find which one is right for you through the U.S. Department of State.

Use our travel requirements tool to learn more about visa requirements for wherever you're headed. All non-U.S. citizens planning to travel to the U.S. should visit the U.S. Department of State for more information.

Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

Travelers who qualify for the Visa Waiver Program are required to apply for and get an approved travel authorization via ESTA to board a plane or vessel headed to the United States. Authorization from ESTA doesn’t guarantee entry into the United States.

ESTA applications aren’t processed immediately so we recommend applying when you book your travel and no less than 72 hours prior to your travel. Applicants who are denied an ESTA will be advised to apply for a visa at the nearest U.S. embassy.

Traveler pro tip

For personalized information on what you need for your upcoming trip use the Travel-Ready Center.

Traveler pro tip

For personalized information on what you need for your upcoming trip use the Travel-Ready Center.

Vaccine requirements

Learn more about vaccination and health declaration forms required for your destination.

If you’ve traveled to a country in the epidemic zone for yellow fever in the last 30 days, you may need the yellow fever vaccine before your next trip. If you're traveling somewhere that requires the vaccination, you’ll need to get your vaccine at least 10 days before you arrive for it to be accepted.

Countries in the epidemic zone for yellow fever include:

  • Within Africa (every country except the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Sao Tome and Principe, Somalia and Tanzania)
  • Argentina
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • Colombia
  • Ecuador
  • French Guiana
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Venezuela

Entry restrictions

Some countries have specific requirements for entry. To find customs forms needed for your specific trip try our travel requirements tool.


If you are denied boarding or if your flight is cancelled or delayed for at least one hour, you may be able to receive compensation or help.

Learn more

People visiting or returning to Australia need to pay attention to biosecurity requirements specifically for travelers coming from countries where African Swine Fever may be present. Travelers must declare any food and animal products and other risk items on their Incoming Passenger Card — including any clothing, footwear and equipment that has been in contact with animals or worn in a rural area.

Federated States of Micronesia

If you’re traveling to the Federated States of Micronesia, make sure that your U.S. passport remains valid throughout your planned stay. For regular and expedited passport service, apply at one of many passport acceptance locations throughout Hawaii, Guam, Saipan, and American Samoa.


You must fill out the I-736 form. Print and present the form at customs when you get to Guam. You must also fill out the Guam Electronic Declaration Form (Guam EDF). The form is available online 72 hours before you get to Guam.

Hong Kong

CBD and CBD products cannot be brought into Hong Kong. Any items containing CBD products, including medicinal, are prohibited, and transporting them will be considered a criminal offense.

For customers who buy tickets for flights departing from Hong Kong, United will refund in full the Air Passenger Departure tax if the customer does not actually depart from Hong Kong.

New Zealand
Electronic Travel Authority

If you’re traveling to New Zealand and you’re a citizen of the U.S., Canada or other visa-waived countries, you’ll need a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) to enter the country. Approval for the NZeTA can take up to 72 hours, so we recommend applying when you book your trip or as soon as possible.

Traveler Declaration

Travelers to New Zealand now have the option to complete a digital New Zealand Traveller Declaration instead of a paper arrival card. Travelers can complete their digital declaration within 24 hours of starting their journey to New Zealand. The digital declaration can be completed at home or via the NZTD mobile app. The digital declaration is linked to a traveler’s passport and is automatically assessed when the passport is scanned on arrival. Paper arrival cards are available for travelers who cannot complete it online.


You must complete an online customs and health declaration form before traveling to Palau. This form can be filled out online. A QR code for your completed form will be emailed to you once you're done. You'll be asked to show this QR code when you arrive in Palau.


Customs forms for the Philippines can be downloaded and filled out before departure. To declare your bags, fill out the Customs Baggage Declaration form. For customers declaring over USD $10,000 or PHP 50,000, please fill out the Currencies Declaration Form.

For additional information, visit Cross-Border Transfer of Local and Foreign Currencies.


All travelers must submit an electronic health declaration before they enter Singapore, using the SG Arrival Card e-Service. If you’re traveling to Singapore, you can submit your arrival information online 3 days before you arrive. Complete the online form or download the MyICA mobile app.


You cannot bring these items to Taipei:

  • Fresh fruit and vegetables of any kind.
  • Soil, plants attached to soil, plant products or other similar items.
  • Pests or live insects, such as pathogenic microorganisms, grasshoppers, beetles, spiders, etc.
  • Quarantined animals and animal products, such as meat and dairy.

Learn more through Customs Administration.

South Korea

Travelers who do not require a visa to enter South Korea must have an electronic travel authorization (K-ETA) to fly to the country. Travelers should apply for the K-ETA at least 72 hours before boarding their flight to South Korea.


Starting on November 20th, foreign travelers arriving in Japan will need to go through extra checks as part of immigration. Plan for some extra time when you arrive at the airport because you’ll be asked to scan your index fingers, and immigration officers will take a photo of your face.

Exemptions to this policy include any foreign visitors who are:

  • Under 16 years old
  • Special status permanent residents
  • Performing official government business or has the status of "diplomat"
  • Visiting Japan on an invitation from the head of a national authority
International Tourist Tax

The Japanese government will collect an International Tourist Tax of JPY 1,000 for all tickets issued on or after January 7, 2019. This tax will apply to all international tourists departing from Japan. You can learn more about the International Tourist Tax through the National Tax Agency website.


If you're traveling to Aruba, all passengers including minors and infants, must complete the immigration form online before your trip. Learn more at Aruba's Immigration Service website.

When departing to the U.S. from Aruba it is highly recommended to arrive at the airport three hours ahead of the scheduled departure time due to additional customs and security requirements.


The Bahamas Customs Department has implemented a mandatory electronic baggage declaration application. The app must be downloaded to submit the online accompanied baggage declaration customs form.


If you’re traveling to Barbados, you’re required to fill out an online immigration and customs form. Once submitting it, you’ll receive two receipts which can be presented digitally or printed.


Bonaire will charge all visitors over the age of 13 a $75 entry tax per visit to the island. You can pay this tax online or upon arrival in Bonaire.


If you’re traveling to Bermuda, you can fill out the required Visitor Arrival Card online before your trip instead of filling out a paper form in flight. It’s free and saves you time when you arrive in Bermuda. Fill out the form.


If you hold a U.S., Canadian or European Union passport, you can fill out the required Curaçao immigration card online.


If you’re a U.S. citizen or former Cuban national living in the U.S., you’ll need to submit additional documents to travel to Cuba. These documents include: your reason for travel, health insurance, passport and visa, and proof of return or onward travel.

If you’re traveling from Havana (HAV) to a destination outside of Cuba, you won’t be allowed to leave the country with Cuban currency. We recommend exchanging your Cuban pesos (CUC) into other currencies before you get to the airport. Once you’re at the airport, you can only exchange up to $300 CUC and can only purchase items in the departure area with foreign currency.

Dominican Republic

If you’re traveling to or from the Dominican Republic, you must fill out an electronic ticket (e-Ticket) before departure. This form is a combination of immigration, customs, and health forms. You’ll be asked to show your e-Ticket before boarding your flight.

If your business is based in the Dominican Republic remember to make your request at the United office in Santo Domingo or send an email to with your ticket information. You’ll need to do this before the end of the month for any flight booked.

People visiting or returning to the Dominican Republic need to pay attention to biosecurity requirements specifically for travelers coming from countries where African Swine Fever has been detected or may be present.

Travelers must declare any food and animal products and other risk items on their Incoming Passenger Card — including any clothing, footwear and equipment that has been in contact with animals or worn in a rural area.


If you’re traveling to Jamaica you must complete the customs and immigration form online. You can fill out the form up to 5 days before your trip. You can also complete the form after arriving in Jamaica at an airport kiosk or on your mobile device. Paper forms will no longer be accepted.

St. Lucia

When you arrive in St. Lucia, you must have a completed Health Screening form. You can fill the form out ahead of time for a smooth arrival.

Canada’s Air Passenger Protection Regulation

We’re committed to operating a reliable schedule for our customers. Safety considerations, weather, air traffic control, operations and other factors may occasionally cause lengthy tarmac delays. You can learn more about your rights and our delay contingency plans on our Canada passenger rights page.

Learn more about Canada’s Accessible Transportation for Persons with Disabilities (ATPDR) and about traveling with disabilities.

Most travelers need a visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) to fly to or through Canada. If you’re a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you don’t need an eTA or a visa.

European Union

You can’t bring meat, meat products, milk and milk products into European Union member states except in these cases:

  • You may bring in powdered infant milk, infant food and special food required for medical reasons if it does not require refrigeration, it is a packaged proprietary brand product, and the packaging is unbroken. Breast milk is not restricted.
  • You may bring other meat, meat products, milk or milk products into designated points of entry if you have the necessary documents from the official veterinary services of the country from which you are traveling. Declare these goods and present your documentation on your arrival at the community frontier for veterinary control.

All other meat, meat products, milk or milk products will be disposed of on arrival. You may bring up to 1 kilogram of food not derived from meat or milk products without declaring.


United participates in mediation proceedings before the Association des Médiateurs Européens.

197 Boulevard Saint Germain
75007 Paris
Telephone: + 41 (0)


United participates in conciliation proceedings before the SOEP.


Children who are 12 years of age or younger, and travelers with a disability or reduced mobility, will be seated close to an accompanying parent, guardian, or caregiver.

For travelers with disabilities or reduced mobility, you can learn more about our seating accommodations for customers with disabilities.


United participates in Heathrow Airport's Positive Boarding Program, which provides airlines with enhanced passenger boarding information to help with efficient and timely departures. As part of our work with this program, your travel details, like your name, location within Heathrow Airport and flight departure information, will be used by the Heathrow Airport Authority and United to keep track of where you are in the airport.

This lets us proactively work with customers who might miss their flights. By flying through Heathrow Airport, customers agree to the use of their personal information for this program.

United Kingdom e-gate expansion

The UK has e-gates which enable quicker entry into the UK for travelers holding passports issued by the following countries and regions:

  • U.S.
  • United Kingdom
  • European Union
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Iceland
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Switzerland

These travelers can now use these self-service gates to clear immigration. They’ll no longer need to fill out a UK landing card or wait in line for inspection.


Children under 18 who are going to Belize without one or both parents must show original, notarized letters of travel consent. For more information, visit the Belize Tourism Board’s website.

El Salvador and Panama

El Salvador International Airport (SAL) and Tocumen International Airport (PTY) in Panama City, Panama have additional security screenings in place, so you’ll need to go through two checkpoints — one to enter the terminal and one at your gate area. You won’t be able to bring liquids over 3 ounces through either checkpoint, and you’ll need to remove laptop and tablet covers at both checkpoints. We recommend getting to the airport early so you have plenty of time to get through security.


Honduras requires customers to fill out an electronic customs form prior to arrival. One form should be filled out and submitted per family.

This applies to our flights arriving and departing Roatan (RTB), San Pedro Sula (SAP) and Palmerola (XPL).


Travelers can fill out and print the customs declaration ahead of time. They must print a copy and hand it to the authorities on arrival. This applies to all destinations in Mexico except Cancun (CUN), Merida (MID), Mexico City (MEX), Monterrey (MTY), Queretaro (QRO) and San Luis Potosi (SLP).

Custom fees must be paid with a debit or credit card. Cash payments are no longer accepted.


If you’re traveling to Guatemala City, you can fill out the required customs form online before your trip. If you do this, you won't need to fill out a paper form in flight. It’s free and saves you time when you arrive in Guatemala.

Visit Declaración Jurada Del Viajero for more information.


Queen Alia International Airport (AMM) in Amman, Jordan has additional security screening in place, so you need to go through 3 checkpoints - one to enter terminal, another point after immigration, and the last one at the gate prior to boarding. LAGs international regulation applies, however United will restrict carrying onboard powder-like substances quantity to be no more than 350 gm. (12.5 ounce). If you make any duty-free purchases at the airport, they’ll be delivered to you at your gate.

We recommend getting to the airport 4 hours before your flight, and to your gate 2 hours before your flight, to make sure you’re able to complete all security screenings.


Visas will be required for Australian, Canadian, and American passport holders starting on January 10th, 2024. Apply for a Brazilian eVisa at least two months before travel. You can get a visa online or at a Brazilian consulate or embassy. Processing takes around 5 working days. After approval, download and print the visa for boarding and landing. Also, keep a digital copy on your phone.


Once you arrive at the airport in Bogota (BOG), you’ll need to see a United representative even if you already have a boarding pass. The agent will review your travel documents before you board.

You must fill out and submit the Colombian immigration and customs form before your arrival.

Denied, canceled, or delayed flight

If you’re denied boarding or your flight is delayed or canceled from one of the countries on our list, you may be eligible for compensation. These countries include:

CountryMore information
CanadaTo make a claim for compensation or a refund, fill out our Customer Care form.
NigeriaTo make a claim for compensation or a refund, fill out our Customer Care form.
IsraelTo make a claim for compensation or a refund, fill out our Customer Care form.
United KingdomIf you disagree with our decision, you are entitled to raise this matter with the UK Civil Aviation Authority’s Passenger Advice and Complaints team.
SpainTo make a claim through the AESA, you need to submit a claim to United then provide the documentation supporting your claim to If you disagree with our decision about your claim, you’re entitled to raise the matter with the AESA.
PortugalYou can submit claims or customer complaints, including delays, cancellations and denied boarding through the following:

I-94 forms

Foreign visitors to the U.S. no longer need to complete paper Customs and Border Protection form for arrival and departure or nonimmigrant visa waiver record. CBP now gathers this information automatically from travelers electronic travel records.

Advance Passenger Information System (APIS)

APIS enhances border security by providing pre-arrival and departure manifest data on all passengers and crew members. APIS also requires reporting the visiting address of all customers who are non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. residents traveling to the United States.

Nationals of China traveling to the U.S.

Nationals of China holding a 10-year business and or tourism visa (B1 or B2) are required to complete an EVUS enrollment to enter the U.S.

International travel requirements FAQ

The CDC and U.S. Department of State provide updates on health and safety concerns around the world.

The biometric matching service uses pictures to check if travelers entering or leaving the U.S. are who they say they are. CBP compares your picture with your travel documents to confirm your identity.

Travelers who are verified by CBP can board their flight without a boarding pass. United does not store your pictures.

Some countries require planes to be sprayed with insecticides.