United travel credits
Search travel credits
Please enter your email to receive info regarding any travel credits connected to it.
View your credits in your MileagePlus account
You can access all your travel credits in your MileagePlus® account, or search for individual credits below.
Shop for your flight as you normally would. Once you get to checkout, all unused travel credits that are connected to your MileagePlus account will automatically appear once you select “Travel Credits” as a payment option. All you have to do is select the checkbox next to the credit and it will automatically be applied to your reservation.
If you don’t see one of your travel credits listed, or don’t have a MileagePlus account, you can also look up your credit directly from checkout and apply it to your cart.
Who can actually use a travel credit varies based on credit type.
Future flight credits
Normally, a future flight credit is non-transferrable and therefore must be used by the same traveler it was issued to. However, all future flight credits that were issued for tickets purchased on or before August 31, 2021, can now be used to book travel for anyone, including yourself, friends, or family. If you have trouble using a future flight credit, please contact Reservations at 1-800-864-8331.
These credits can be used by anyone.
- All travel credits can be used to buy tickets on United, United Express and partner-operated flights purchased on our website or app. You can also apply travel credits toward non-ticket items, like Economy Plus® seating, Basic Economy seat assignments and preferred seating.
To use travel credits with PlusPoints, you’ll need to book your ticket using your travel credit and then request a PlusPoints upgrade.
In most cases, travel credits expire one year after the date they were issued. The expiration date will be listed on the credit itself. What that date means for you differs based on what type of credit you have.
If you have a future flight credit, it’s a "travel by" date. This means your trip must begin before the expiration date listed on your credit.
If you have a travel certificate, it’s a "book by" date. This means you must book your flight before the expiration date.
Return trips booked with travel credits are subject to the rules for that ticket type. In general, return trips should be booked within one year of your trip’s start.
Credits set to expire or issued on or before December 31, 2022 have had their “book by” or “travel by” date extended to December 31, 2023.
MileagePlus members can find a summary of their travel credits in their account. If you aren’t a member or can’t find your credit in your account, you can also use the lookup forms provided on this page to find your travel credit information, including the value and expiration date.
You can find this information in one of two places depending on the type of credit you have.
Future flight credits
These credits use the confirmation number connected to the original ticket your future flight credit was issued for. You can find this number in the ticket receipts in your MileagePlus account.
These credits use a PIN, which was issued to you via email when your travel certificate was originally sent to you. If you no longer have this number, you can still search for your credit information via email by entering it in the search form above.
Yes, you can use multiple credits of the same type in a single purchase. Future flight credits and travel certificates cannot be combined.
You can still use your credit, but you’ll need to do it through the travel agency you used to book the original flight.
Release of liability
By accepting a travel certificate, you release United, the operating carrier, and their respective employees, agents and representatives from any and all liability, claims or damages resulting or arising from the matters relating to your flight, compensation therefore or any related complaint. This release does not apply to the extent it is contrary to an applicable law outside of the United States.
Certificate terms and conditions
- Travel certificates are redeemable toward transportation on any flight operated by United Airlines, Inc., United Express, and partner airlines sold on United digital channels.
- You may redeem or view travel certificate details at united.com by clicking on Deals & Offers, Promotional certificates, and entering the promotion code and PIN in the offer code box. You can also call United at 800-UNITED-1 (800-864-8331). A fee may apply for redemption via telephone. You will be asked to enter the last name of the certificate recipient. Certificates may not be redeemed through a travel agency.
- Most travel certificates expire 12 months after the original date they're issued. Travel certificates issued before December 31, 2022 will expire on December 31, 2023.
- Travel certificates have no cash value.
- Travel certificates will not be honored in conjunction with prepaid tickets, fee-waived tickets, MileagePlus awards, tour packages or other service charges. You must pay for outstanding fees and ancillary purchases with a credit or debit card at time of purchase.
- If the face amount of a travel certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted, or the expiration date has been reached, whichever comes first.
- Travel certificates are not transferable and may not be sold, traded or bartered. However, the original recipient of a certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering the certificate. Any sale or barter of a certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render a certificate null and void such that the certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
- Positive identification may be required when using a certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or unintended use of a certificate by a person other than the original recipient.
- United's Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.