Award Travel Updates
Introducing a broader range of award prices
As of November 15, 2019, we’re no longer publishing an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.
- Some award prices will be lower than what was published in our chart.
- Other award prices may be higher than they were previously, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time.
- We’ve removed close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
- You’ll find the exact amount of miles needed for your trip at booking. If your dates are flexible, an award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.
- For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award fights booked within 21 days of departure.
- The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019.
We're no longer publishing an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award travel on United®, United Express ® or Star Alliance™ partner flights. Prices for award flights will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors.
Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer lower prices on other flights. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
MileagePlus members can continue to book award travel without blackout dates.
No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
No, we are not making any changes to the Excursionist Perk. It will remain a benefit of the program.
Award pricing is based on a variety of factors, including demand, route, airline, and how far in advance the award ticket is purchased. Generally, booking your award flight further in advance will help you find the lowest price, and booking closer to departure may result in a higher price.
Even though award pricing can now fluctuate, you may still see fares labeled as Saver Awards or Everyday Awards, which is designed to help you find the lowest priced award available for your cabin. Saver Awards are the best offering we have on a particular flight. You can also visit our Flight awards deals page to check out our lowest award fares.
About United MileagePlus®: The world’s most rewarding loyalty program
- Last year, members took the most award flights in the history of the program.
- Between United and Star AllianceTM award flights, we offer award travel to more destinations than any other U.S. airline — more than 1,300 destinations in over 190 countries.
- MileagePlus offers more ways to use miles than any U.S. airline.
- Besides air travel, there are also opportunities to use miles for experiences or everyday items like eGift cards, starting as low as 1,000 miles.
- Readers of Global Traveler have selected MileagePlus as the Best Overall Frequent Flyer Program for 15 years.