If you have comments or questions about this Policy or the cookies used by our website, please submit your inquiry to United Customer Service. Please reference this Policy in those communications.
1. What are cookies?
A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your Web browser or the hard drive of your computer or mobile device when you visit a website so that the website can remember who you are. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. Cookies allow us to recognize your preference information, keep track of your transactions and facilitate effective website administration. It is important to note that cookies generally do not collect any personal data stored on your mobile device or computer's hard drive.
First- and third-party cookies: Whether a cookie is 'first' or 'third' party refers to the domain placing the cookie. First-party cookies are those set by a website that is being visited by the user. An example would be the cookies placed by united.com when you visit our website. Third-party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than that of the website being visited by the user. For example, if a user visits united.com and another entity sets a cookie through our website, this would be a third-party cookie.
Persistent cookies: These cookies remain on a user's device for the period of time specified in the cookie. They are activated each time the user visits the website that created the particular cookie.
Session cookies: These cookies allow website operators to link the actions of a user during a browser session. A session starts when a user opens the browser and ends when they close the browser. Session cookies are temporary, so all session cookies are deleted when the user closes the browser.
The cookies used on our website are categorized as follows:
- Strictly Necessary
"Strictly Necessary" cookies let you navigate through the website and use essential features like secure areas (e.g., payment activity) and shopping baskets. Without these cookies, services you request cannot be provided. These cookies do not gather any information about you that could be used for marketing or for remembering what sites you've visited on the Internet.
We use these Strictly Necessary cookies to:
- Direct users to specific applications of a service or specific servers;
- Make sure you connect to the right service on our website when we make any changes to the way the website works;
- Identify you as being logged in to our website;
- Remember information you have entered when you navigate to different pages on our website during a browser session; and
- Remember your purchase requests when you get to the checkout page.
Accepting Strictly Necessary cookies is a condition of using our website. If you block these cookies, there is no guarantee that you can use our website or that the security on our website will perform as intended during your visit.
"Performance" cookies collect information about how you use our website (e.g., which pages you visit and if you experience any errors). These cookies do not contain any information that could identify you and are only used to help us improve and maintain our website, understand the interests of our users and measure the effectiveness of our advertising.
We use Performance cookies for:
- Web analytics: To provide statistics on how our website is used;
- Ad response rates: To measure the effectiveness of our advertisements, including those pointing to our websites from third-party websites;
- Affiliate tracking: To provide feedback, including but not limited to details of any products or services purchased, to partners about our visitors who also visited their website;
- Error management: To help us improve and maintain our website by measuring any errors that occur; and
- Testing designs: To test different designs of our website.
Some of these cookies may be managed by third parties and you should refer to the third parties' own website privacy notifications and policies for further information.
"Functionality" cookies are used to provide services or remember settings that can improve your visit. Without these cookies, our website cannot remember certain choices you've previously made or personalize your browsing experience by providing you with relevant information. These cookies can also be used to recognize your device so that you do not have to provide the same information more than once. In addition to these cookies, Web storage may also be used to provide such services.
We use Functionality cookies to:
- Remember settings you've selected, such as layout, text size, preferences and colours;
- Remember if we've already asked if you want to fill in a survey;
- Show you when you're logged in to the website.
Accepting Functionality cookies is a condition of using our website, so if you block these cookies there is no guarantee that you can use our website or that the security on our website will perform as intended during your visit. Some of these cookies may be managed by third parties, and you should refer to the third parties' own website privacy notifications and policies for further information.
"Targeting" cookies are used by third parties. These cookies allow third parties to recognize that you have visited our website. We, and our third party service providers, also may combine information obtained from these cookies with personal information available from other sources, including data collected about you when you are using other websites and data collected about you offline, whether on our site or data that the third party maintains.
We and our third party service providers use Targeting cookies to:
- Link to social networks, like Facebook, that may subsequently use information about your visit to our website in order to provide advertising or other offers that may be of interest to you when you visit other websites;
- Provide third parties with information on your visit so that they can present you with advertisements or other offers that may be of interest to you.
To opt-out of targeted advertising, you may express your preferences at http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices and www.aboutads.info. Opting out of one or more ad networks only means that those particular members no longer will deliver targeted content or ads to you. It does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content or ads on our websites or other non-United websites. If your browser is configured to reject cookies when you visit one of the above referenced opt-out pages, and then you erase your cookies, use a different computer or change Web browsers, your preference may no longer be active. Since all of these cookies are managed by third parties, you should refer to the third parties' own website privacy notifications and policies for further information.
3. How to delete and block cookies
If you do not want your information to be collected through cookies, you can change the setting on your Internet browser. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including Strictly Necessary cookies), you may not be able to access all or parts of our website. Our website places cookies as soon you visit our website. Turning off or deleting cookies will not prevent device identification and related data collection from occurring. This can only be done by changing your browser setting.
How to turn cookies off?
Browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. These settings are usually found in the 'Options' or 'Preferences' menu of your browser. In order to understand these settings, the following links may be helpful. Otherwise, you should use the 'Help' option in your browser for more details.
- Cookie settings in Chrome™
- Cookie settings in Firefox®
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer®
- Cookie settings in Safari®
Can I withdraw my consent?
4. More information about cookies
General information about cookies
Useful information about cookies can be found at allaboutcookies.org.
You can find a guide to behavioural advertising and online privacy produced by the Internet advertising industry at http://www.youronlinechoices.eu and www.aboutads.info.
International Chamber of Commerce United Kingdom
Customers can view the UK Cookie Guide created by the ICC UK at http://cookie-cat.co.uk/about/icc-uk-cookie-guide/.