Home > Products & services > Travel products > Economy Plus
A little extra legroom goes a long way.
Nothing gets your trip started on the right foot like extra legroom. Purchase Economy Plus® for your next flight or for all available flights for an entire year. Stretch out with more room to work and relax, sit near the front of the cabin so you can exit the plane easier at your destination and more. You'll also earn Premier® qualifying dollars.1
MileagePlus Premier Platinum members and higher enjoy advance complimentary access for themselves and up to eight companions, and Premier Gold members enjoy advance complimentary access for themselves and one companion. Premier Silver members continue to enjoy complimentary space-available access to Economy Plus for themselves and one companion upon check-in.
Economy Plus one-time
Purchase Economy Plus anytime you are selecting seats, from ticket purchase to check-in on united.com or at an airport kiosk.
Economy Plus subscriptions
When you subscribe, you can select Economy Plus seating2 for an entire year, with access to all the subscription benefits. You can customize your plan with the options that best suit your travel needs.
United Travel Options packages: Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced
We're offering Economy Plus and other United Travel Options products as packages that are available at a discounted price when booking select itineraries.
1For Economy Plus one-time purchases, the traveler sitting in the purchased Economy Plus seat is eligible to earn Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) upon completion of travel. The traveler must have a MileagePlus number in order to receive credit. PQD is credited to the account of the member who travels, not necessarily the member who purchases the Economy Plus seat. For Economy Plus subscription purchases, Premier qualifying dollars in the amount of the price of the subscription are credited to the subscription holder. The recipient of an Economy Plus gift subscription is given PQD credit for the price of the subscription purchase when the subscription is activated.
2When Economy Plus seating is available
Economy Plus one-time
- An Economy Plus purchase reserves a seat within the Economy Plus seating area. Specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
- Any customer-requested changes to any portion of an itinerary will result in loss of Economy Plus seats for the modified segments. Economy Plus may be repurchased, if available, for the revised portions of the itinerary.
- An Economy Plus purchase is processed based on seat availability at time of purchase.
- Valid for travel on United and United Express® only. Star Alliance® or marketed codeshare flights do not provide Economy Plus seating.
- MileagePlus members can earn Premier® qualifying dollars (PQD) on Economy Plus one-time purchases upon completion of travel. PQD from Economy Plus one-time purchases are credited to the member who travels in Economy Plus seating.
- Refunds for Economy Plus purchases are processed automatically after scheduled departure in the event of flight cancellation or change to a different flight, when travel is completed in a standard United Economy seat, or when travel is completed in a seat of equal or greater value through the purchase of a premium cabin seating offer. If a Complimentary Premier Upgrade is issued, then the Economy Plus purchase is not eligible for a refund.
- Customers who are eligible to receive a refund for an Economy Plus purchase and who have not received the refund within two billing cycles of their scheduled flight departure can submit a request through united.com using the refund request form.
- Offer subject to change without notice.
Economy Plus subscription
Subscription purchase and use:
- Subscriptions are nonrefundable and nontransferable.
- Subscriptions will expire on the date indicated in the terms at the time of purchase of the subscription.
- Economy Plus is offered on select flights operated by United and United Express.
- Economy Plus seat requests and specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
- Subscriptions may be customized to benefit additional travelers on the same reservation as the subscriber. Travelers not covered by the subscription benefits are subject to additional charges.
- Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.
- MileagePlus members who hold an Economy Plus subscription can earn Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) for the price of the subscription purchase. The recipient of an Economy Plus gift subscription is given PQD credit for the price of the subscription purchase when the subscription is activated.
- The subscriber must include his or her MileagePlus number in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
- Subscription prices are subject to change without notice. An initiation fee applies for all new or expired subscriptions.
- United reserves the right to amend, cancel or modify these terms, conditions and pricing at any time, with or without notice.
- Subscriptions may be upgraded at any time.
- Upgraded subscriptions are valid for one year from the time of upgrade.
- Any unused value from the previous subscription will be applied to the upgrade price.
- MileagePlus members who hold an Economy Plus subscription and later upgrade the subscription can earn PQD for the price of the upgrade.
Renewal and auto-renew:
- Subscriptions can be renewed as early as 30 days prior to expiration.
- Subscribers enrolled in auto-renew will be charged for the renewal 30 days prior to the subscription's expiration, to the form of payment on file, at the price effective on that day.
- Gifts must be activated within 60 days of purchase. Gifts not activated within 60 days are automatically activated and expire in one year.
- The subscription offer is made at United's discretion and is subject to change or termination at any time.
Economy Plus one-time
- Who can purchase Economy Plus seating?
- All customers may purchase Economy Plus seating subject to availability. Advance complimentary access to Economy Plus is available to Premier® Platinum members and higher (for themselves and up to eight companions), and Premier Gold members (for themselves and one companion). Premier Silver members and one companion enjoy complimentary access to Economy Plus seating, when available, upon check-in.
- Where can I buy Economy Plus seating?
- You can purchase Economy Plus seating online at united.com, through the mobile app and through the United Customer Contact Center at anytime. Economy Plus seating may also be purchased during check-in online, through the app or at the airport.
- What flights offer Economy Plus seating?
- Economy Plus seating is available on all United and most United Express® flights.
- Can I get a refund for my Economy Plus purchase if I no longer want it on my trip?
- No. Economy Plus purchases are nonrefundable unless the ticket is refunded or canceled prior to travel.
- If I buy Economy Plus seating, can I select a different Economy Plus seat prior to travel?
- Yes. If the price of the new seat is equal to or less than the original purchase price then there will be no refund or additional charges. If the price of the new seat is greater than the price of the originally purchased seat, then the original price will be refunded and the new seat must be purchased in full.
- Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip?
- Yes. In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded.
- What will happen if I purchased Economy Plus seating but want to change my flights?
- In the event of a voluntary change to a trip, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of the unused Economy Plus seating will be refunded.
- What happens to my Economy Plus purchase if I get upgraded?
- In the event of an upgrade, with some exclusions, purchased Economy Plus seating for the upgraded segment(s) will be automatically refunded. Exclusions include Complimentary Premier Upgrades and cases where a customer is reaccommodated into a seat of similar or greater value due to an aircraft change or other operational issue.
- What happens if my itinerary changes due to a cancellation or schedule change?
- In the event of any involuntary changes, such as rebooking due to a cancellation or schedule change, United will, if available, transfer the Economy Plus seating to your new flight(s) free of charge. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase will be automatically refunded after flight departure. If you are re-accommodated on another airline per United’s policies, your purchase of Economy Plus seating for that portion of the itinerary will be automatically refunded.
- I purchased Economy Plus, but I didn’t get to sit in an Economy Plus seat. Will I receive a refund?
- Yes. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase price will be automatically refunded after flight departure.
- What is the deadline to request a refund for my Economy Plus purchase?
- For Economy Plus refunds that aren’t issued automatically, you must submit your request within 90 days of the later of the following two dates: i) the date when the fee was originally paid; or ii) the flight date.
- If we were unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus or a seat of similar or greater value, and you received a new boarding pass, then the refund for the Economy Plus purchase price will be issued automatically. If you were not issued a new boarding pass, please submit a request through our Refunds page by the deadline specified above.
- How long will it take to receive my Economy Plus refund?
- Please allow up to seven business days from the date when the refund is issued for the activity to post to your credit card. If the refund does not post within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company for information. For all other forms of payment, please allow up to 20 days for a refund to be processed. If you do not see a credit post within these time frames, please submit a refund request at united.com/refunds. All refunds are credited to the original form of payment used.
- Can I earn Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) on my Economy Plus one-time purchase?
- Yes, the traveler sitting in the purchased Economy Plus seat is eligible to earn PQD upon completion of travel. PQD is credited to the account of the member who travels, not necessarily the member who purchases the Economy Plus seat. For more information, see the Premier Qualifying Dollar Frequently Asked Questions page.
Economy Plus subscription
- Where can I purchase an Economy Plus subscription?
- Economy Plus subscription purchases can be made online at united.com and through the United Customer Contact Center at anytime.
- If I purchased Economy Plus seating for an upcoming flight, can I apply that purchase toward an Economy Plus subscription?
- Economy Plus purchases cannot be applied toward the purchase of an Economy Plus subscription.
- How do I access Economy Plus subscription benefits?
- Enter your MileagePlus number on your reservation, and your subscription benefits will allow you to select any available Economy Plus seat on the seat map.
- Is my Economy Plus subscription purchase valid for all segments of my flight or only one segment?
- The Economy Plus subscription is valid for all segments in the subscribed region on all United- and United Express-operated flights where Economy Plus seating is available.
- Is my Economy Plus subscription purchase valid for multiple people in my itinerary?
- When purchasing a subscription, you will select the number of passengers who will receive the subscription benefits, provided they are traveling on the same reservation. Additional travelers beyond the number specified in your subscription will be subject to standard individual Economy Plus seat charges.
- Can I use my Economy Plus subscription if my final destination is outside my subscription region, but I have a connection in my region?
- Economy Plus subscription region applies to each individual segment, regardless of connections. Standard Economy Plus seat charges will apply if additional segments are outside your subscribed region.
- Where can I manage my subscription after purchase?
- You can go to the My Account page on united.com to manage your subscription. It's easy to make updates at your convenience. You can modify, upgrade, renew or set up your subscription to auto-renew.
- What if I want to upgrade to a different region or add additional passengers to my subscription?
- You can upgrade your subscription at any time on the My Account page. Upgrading your subscription will extend its duration for another year with the new level of benefits that you select. Any residual value of your existing subscription will be applied to the subscription upgrade automatically.
- Is my subscription eligible for auto-renew?
- Yes, schedule your subscription renewal in advance so that your subscriptions renew automatically with an existing payment method. You'll continue to enjoy uninterrupted access to your subscription.
- From the My Account page, you can modify the form of payment used for auto-renew or toggle your auto-renew setting on or off.
- Where can I renew my subscription?
- Renew your subscriptions from the My Account page. You will have the option to select from the benefit options and to determine the price of your subscription.
- Will I receive a reminder to renew my subscription?
- Yes, we will send you a reminder email prior to your subscription's expiration date with more details and information on current pricing. Renewal prices are subject to change.
- Can I purchase a subscription as a gift for someone?
- Yes, visit united.com to purchase subscriptions for your favorite travelers and help to make all their journeys more comfortable and convenient.
- What should I do if I have received a gift subscription?
- If you received a subscription as a gift, visit the Gift Activation page to apply the subscription to your MileagePlus account.
- What if I already receive the benefit that would be provided by my gift subscription?
- You will have the option to deposit the value to your United TravelBank balance as an electronic fund that can be applied toward any United or United Express flights or other subscriptions on united.com.
- Can I earn Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) on my Economy Plus subscription purchase?
- Yes, MileagePlus members who hold an Economy Plus subscription can earn PQD for the price of the subscription purchase. The recipient of an Economy Plus gift subscription is given PQD credit for the price of the subscription purchase when the subscription is activated. For more information, see the Premier Qualifying Dollar Frequently Asked Questions page.