Book in-cabin travel for your pet
Request an in-cabin booking for your pet through united.com or by calling United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331). Advance reservations are required.
United allows domesticated cats, dogs, rabbits and birds to travel accompanied in the aircraft cabin on most flights within the U.S. An in-cabin pet may be carried in addition to a carry-on bag and is subject to a $125 service charge each way. There is an additional $125 service charge for each stopover of more than four hours within the U.S. or more than 24 hours outside of the U.S. For travel exclusively on United Express by Silver Airways, the service charge for an in-cabin pet is $50 each way.
In-cabin pet kennels
A pet traveling in-cabin must be carried in an approved kennel, either hard-sided or soft-sided. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times. The maximum dimensions for hard-sided kennels are 17.5 inches long x 12 inches wide x 7.5 inches high (44 cm x 30 cm x 19 cm). The maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18 inches long x 11 inches wide x 11 inches high (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm).
In-cabin pet kennels are also available at some United check-in counters for $60 each. Purchases may be made with cash or check and are subject to availability. Customers should contact United Reservations to confirm kennel availability at specific locations.
Trained service animals are allowed in-cabin to accompany qualified customers with disabilities. Service animal procedures differ from standard in-cabin pet procedures, so please see the Service Animals
section for more information.
Rules for international in-cabin pet acceptance vary widely. For information on animal embargoes and restrictions, please go to the Pet Restrictions
page. For additional assistance or information, or to book international in-cabin travel for a pet, contact United Reservations
Restrictions based on aircraft, cabin and seat
- In-cabin travel for pets is booked on a space-available basis.
- One pet per flight is allowed in United Global First℠, United First®, United BusinessFirst® and United Business® (select aircraft only).
- Pets are not permitted in United Global First, United First, United BusinessFirst or United Business on Boeing 747, 757, 767 or 777 aircraft due to inadequate storage space under the seat.
- Four pets per flight are allowed in United Economy® on all United and United Express flights.
- A customer traveling with an in-cabin pet on a Boeing 757-200 aircraft must be seated by the window.
- A customer traveling with an in-cabin pet may not be seated in the bulkhead or an emergency exit row.
- Pets are not permitted on flights to, from or through Australia, Guam or Hawaii.
- Pets are not permitted to travel with unaccompanied minors.
- Pets must remain in their kennels with the door secured at all times while in the boarding area and on board the aircraft.
- The customer is responsible for complying with all state entry requirements which may apply.
- Pets younger than eight weeks old are not permitted.
- Pets must travel on the same flight(s) as the customers who are responsible for them.
- In the event of an emergency, oxygen service will not be available for pets.
- United’s in-cabin pet policy applies to flights operated by United and United Express only. For codeshare flights, please check with the operating carrier for that airline’s in-cabin pet policy.