Home > Travel information > Special travel needs > Customers with disabilities
Access at United Airlines
United® is dedicated to providing convenient and comfortable service to all of our customers. The following information is provided to assist customers with disabilities in planning a trip with us. Every person with a disability is different, and you are the best judge of the service you require. If we're doing more or less than you need, please communicate your preferred level of assistance to our employees.
In addition to requesting special assistance when making your reservation, please let our airport employees and inflight crew members know of your special needs during your travel. Friendly reminders to our employees are always appreciated and will help us place a face with a request for assistance.
United recommends all passengers travel with essential medications in a carry-on bag that can be placed beneath the seat in front of the customer for quick access if needed.
If your travel includes a carrier other than United Airlines check directly with that carrier for your travel needs, as different policies and procedures may apply.
United recommends that all customers make their reservations as early as possible. We do not require information concerning the extent of a disability, however, the more information we have about you, the better prepared we are to meet your needs. United requires 48 hours advance notice and an hour in addition to the published airport check-in processing time of your originating airport if you:
- Need onboard medical oxygen in flight (available on flights between Guam (GUM) and Tokyo (NRT) and flights between Guam (GUM) and Honolulu (HNL))
- Will be using your FAA-approved respirator, ventilator, continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine or your own personal oxygen concentrator (POC) (United does not provide POCs)
- Require disassembly and/or packaging of a wheelchair battery
- Will be transporting an electric wheelchair on an aircraft with fewer than 60 seats
- Are traveling with a group of ten (10) or more people with disabilities
- Plan to travel with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal in cabin
Special meals require a minimum of 24 hours advance notice, however we appreciate as much advance notice as possible.