Home > Travel information > Baggage information > Cabin-seat baggage
United Airlines will allow a customer to purchase a ticket for an item, approved by a United agent, which is too fragile or bulky to be handled as checked baggage.
These items can be carried on board and transported in a seat.
Examples of cabin-seat baggage may include large or valuable musical instruments, media cameras, artifacts, garment bags and similar items of a delicate nature or unusual size. Note that guitars are not considered cabin-seat baggage and customers traveling with guitars should continue to follow carry-on baggage guidelines.
Please note: Cabin-seat baggage items are not permitted in United Economy® on 757 and two-cabin 777 aircraft. Restrictions may apply on other aircraft.
The following restrictions apply:
- Must not exceed 165 pounds (75 kg).
- Must be packaged or covered in a manner to avoid injury to other customers.
- Must be secured in a seat adjacent to the owner.
- Must be properly secured by a seat belt to avoid shifting during flight.
- Must not restrict access to, or use of, any regular or emergency exit or aisle of the cabin.
- Must not obscure any customer's view of "seatbelt," "no smoking" or "exit" signage.
- Must not contain dangerous goods.
- Must be reserved in advance and applicable charges paid.
Please check with a United agent for pricing information.