Home > Manage Reservations > Same-day flight changes
Customers holding restricted* tickets can make same-day flight changes for a discounted fee. MileagePlus Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® members may request a same-day change at no charge. The following fees and conditions apply:
|MileagePlus non–Premier members
|MileagePlus Premier Silver members
|MileagePlus Premier Gold members
|MileagePlus Premier Platinum and
MileagePlus Premier 1K members
- The itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016.
- The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your originally scheduled flight. The requested flight must be departing within 24 hours from the time the request is made and can include any fare class, though you may be required to pay the difference in fare. Changes must be made prior to your original scheduled flight.
- When the original ticketed fare class is available on the requested flight within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee (instead of the change fee stated in the fare rules) will apply.
- When the original ticketed fare class is not available on the requested flight within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee (instead of the change fee stated in the fare rules) will apply, as well as any additional payments or refunds for the difference in fare.
- You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.
- Upgraded tickets will be automatically added to the upgrade standby list at your applicable upgrade priority. Once you are added to the upgrade standby list, you can check your real-time upgrade status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.
- Changes are only available for the exact origin and destination airport. Connection points may be changed provided the new routing is permitted by the fare purchased.
Same-day flight changes may be confirmed when checking in online, at any airport kiosk, by calling your local United Customer Contact Center or with a United representative. If you checked baggage on your original flight, you will need to complete any changes at least 60 minutes before your new flight’s departure to allow time for us to move your baggage to the new flight.
*Restricted tickets exclude certain specialty tickets (including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque tickets where the fare you paid is not provided to United) and fares that do not allow changes of any kind, such as United Specials and tickets bought through certain wholesale outlets (e.g. where you do not know the identity of the airline until after you buy the ticket).
Expand the section below for more information about same-day flight changes:
- Frequently asked questions
- Can I change my flight to the day before or after my original flight and qualify for the same-day flight change discounted fee?
- Yes, as long as it falls within the rules of the same-day change discounted fee policy.
- Can I change my departure or arrival airport?
- If you wish to change the departure or arrival airport, the change fee and any applicable fare difference associated with the fare will apply.
- Can I change my routing and qualify for the same-day flight change discounted fee?
- Yes, when a change can be confirmed, provided the new routing is permitted by the fare and no changes to the origin or destination airports. You may not, however, change routing when standing by.
- If I have already checked in for a flight, may I make a same-day flight change?
- Yes. However, if you checked baggage on your original flight, you will need to complete any changes at least 60 minutes before your new flight’s departure to allow time for us to move your baggage to the new flight.
- Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
- No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.
- If my itinerary has three or more flights, am I still eligible to make a same-day change for the discounted fee?
- Yes, but when the itinerary involves three of more flights, the change may only be confirmed by calling the United Customer Contact Center or with a United representative at the airport.
- Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
- Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.
- If the fare requires a Saturday night stay, can I utilize the same-day change discounted fee to leave early and not stay over Saturday?
- Yes, as long as all other requirements are met.
- Is there a fee for same-day changes to award tickets?
- Yes. However, there is no charge when making same-day changes to award tickets purchased with miles from a Premier Gold, Premier Platinum or Premier 1K member's account.