For all flights departing from the United States
Carry-on Baggage Restrictions:
On instruction from the Transportation Security Administration, United Airlines advises customers that the following items are permitted inside the sterile area through the screening checkpoint:
- Liquids, gels and aerosols in small containers (3.4 oz. /100ml or less) in a clear re-sealable 1 quart/1 liter plastic bag. The bag with its contents must be subjected to inspection separate from carry-on bags.
- Medications (including non-prescription medicine) without the requirement that the customer’s name appear on prescription medicine.
- Baby formula/milk (to include breast milk), baby food, juice, medications, and liquids/gels that are needed for diabetic or other medical conditions if not contained in a closed/sealed transparent re-sealable 1 quart/1 liter plastic bag and/or if in containers larger than 3.4 oz. (100ml) each must be declared to the TSA at the security checkpoint for screening.
In U.S. domestic airports, liquids (to include beverages), gels and aerosols purchased in the sterile area of the airport may be taken on board the aircraft.
Customers may be subjected to a secondary screening if entering the screening checkpoint with liquids, gels and/or aerosols.
These measures apply to all scheduled and charter flight operations that operate to, from or within the United States and its territories and possessions. Local host country restrictions may vary by country.
At the Airport:
All passengers should plan to arrive at the airport according to the airport processing time.
See airport operating times before leaving for early morning flights.
United Airlines regrets any inconveniences caused.
For all flights departing from international locations
Traveling to the U.S.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), a new requirement for travel to the U.S. as part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
Beginning Aug. 1, 2008, ESTA applications will be available online for advance authorization to travel to the U.S. under the VWP. Effective Jan. 12, 2009, all VWP customers traveling to the U.S. will be required to hold ESTA approval prior to boarding a flight to the U.S.
To apply for authorization to travel to the U.S., travelers may go to the ESTA web-based system and complete an application.
Carry-on Baggage Restrictions:
||No. of Bags
||1 bag and 1 personal item(see description below)
||45 linear in or 114 cm
*The United Kingdom revised its policy on carry-on bag restrictions for several airports, including Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London Gatwick, London Heathrow and Manchester. These airports no longer restrict customers to one carry-on item per person.
The following items are permitted inside the sterile area through the screening checkpoint:
- Liquids, gels, and/or aerosols in containers of 3.4oz (100 ml) or less in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag, no larger than one (1) liter in capacity (approximately 20cm x 20cm). These items will be permitted through screening checkpoints for connecting flights within the U.S. The contents of the plastic bag must fit comfortably and the bag sealed. The bag with its contents must be presented separately for inspection at the checkpoint.
- Baby formula/milk and baby food in small containers if a baby or small child is traveling
- Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's ticket
In addition, for flights departing from destinations other than the United Kingdom, liquids, gels, and/or aerosols that fit within the following categories and are in quantities reasonably necessary for the customer's itinerary are not limited to the 3.4 oz. (100 ml) restriction and do not have to be contained in the 1 liter plastic bag:
- Baby formula/milk (to include breast milk) and baby food in containers if a baby or small child is traveling
- Medications (liquid, gel, and/or aerosol)
- Liquids (to include juice) or gels for diabetic or other medical needs
At some non-U.S. locations, including the United Kingdom, customers may bring liquids, gels or aerosols purchased inside the sterile area onboard the aircraft. Examples of liquids and gels include beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, toothpaste, hair gel, hair spray, liquid cosmetics and items of a similar consistency. Travelers should check with the departure airport for specific security restrictions.
At the Airport:
All passengers should plan to arrive at the airport three hours in advance of scheduled departure time.
United Airlines regrets any inconvenience caused.
United Airlines will not accept for travel any customers not complying with this Government instruction. Local host country restrictions may vary by country.