Home > MileagePlus program > Use award miles > Upgrades overview > Complimentary Premier Upgrades
Complimentary Premier® Upgrades are space-available, complimentary upgrades on select United-, United Express®- and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They are available to all Premier members, as well as to a companion traveling on the same reservation as the Premier member. Learn more about Premier status.
Additionally, Premier members traveling on full-fare economy Y- and B-class fares may be eligible for instant upgrades as early as time of ticketing. Premier 1K® members are also eligible for instant upgrades when purchasing M-class fares. Please check the travel regions below to see if your flight may be eligible.
Eligible flights and regions
Complimentary Premier Upgrades are available on most United-, United Express- and Copa Airlines-operated flights in the following regions:
- Continental U.S.
- Central America
- South America (Copa flights only)
See the upgrade regions chart for full details on upgrade eligibility, plus exceptions to the regions listed above.
Complimentary Premier Upgrades are available on all paid, published fares.
The confirmation windows for Complimentary Premier Upgrades, by Premier level, are:
||Confirmation (as early as)
||120 hours / 5 days
||96 hours / 4 days
||72 hours / 3 days
||48 hours / 2 days
||Day of departure
Instant upgrades are confirmable at time of ticketing, if space is available. If a seat is not available at time of ticketing, these upgrades will be processed automatically starting at the five-day window. Instant upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Learn more about upgrade confirmation priority.
One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.
If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
Upgrading award tickets
Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:
- United MileagePlus Explorer Card
- United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card
- United MileagePlus Club Card
- United MileagePlus Club Business Card
- United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card
- United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Business Card
Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets. If a reservation includes passengers other than the Cardmember, the Complimentary Premier Upgrade will not be processed. Premier members should contact the Premier Priority Desk number listed on the back of their membership card to request individual upgrade consideration.
- Complimentary Premier Upgrades are eligible for one-cabin upgrades on select flights from United Economy® to the next cabin of service, from United Business® to United First®, or from United BusinessFirst® to United Global FirstSM on three-cabin aircraft.
- Only select flights operated by United, United Express or Copa Airlines are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades.
- When flying Copa, instant upgrades are available on Y-, B- or M-class full-fare Economy tickets.
- Upgrades are subject to capacity controls, which may limit the number of seats available.
- Upgrades are not available on flights that have already been upgraded, or on certain fares such as industry discount, Hotwire and priceline.com.
- The number of MileagePlus award miles, Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned are based on the fare class of the ticket originally purchased, not the upgraded class.
- Other restrictions may apply. Terms and other information are subject to change without notice.