Home > MileagePlus program > Use award miles > Use miles for flights, upgrades and more > Book and buy miles
When you book award travel on United, you may have the option to buy up to 50% of the award miles required for that award travel. Please keep in mind that:
- If this option is available, it will only be presented when you book award tickets, either online or by phone. You must purchase the award miles at the time when your travel award is ticketed.
- The award travel that you are booking must require at least 5,000 miles.
- Miles are purchased in 1,000-mile increments for $35 (plus 7.5% excise tax) per thousand miles and are nonrefundable.
- This option does not apply to international airline partner awards or promotional awards.
- You also may be required to pay taxes on the mileage purchase.
You can also purchase MileagePlus award miles through our Purchase Miles or Transfer Miles programs. You can make these purchases at any time - you don't have to be actively booking an award reservation.