Home > About United > Global citizenship > Community involvement
As a newly merged company, United is taking care to review and evaluate our combined portfolio of existing community partnerships. At this time we are not accepting any new applications for support. Please continue to check back for updated information. An email address will be provided on this page when we are accepting new grant proposal submissions.
United is committed to the communities we serve. Our involvement is focused primarily in our U.S. hub locations where the vast majority of our employees and customers live and work. These hub locations include Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York/Newark, and San Francisco.
Our sponsorships are primarily made in one of three ways: 1) in-kind donations (airline transportation certificates); 2) volunteerism; and 3) cash support, on a limited basis. Support does not include matching gifts, cash donations, assistance for individuals or support in the following areas: political or fraternal organizations, capital and building campaigns, religious institutions, thrill sports, beauty pageants or individual public or private schools.
All requests must be made in writing no later than ninety (90) days in advance of the event date. Please allow a minimum of thirty (30) days for a written response. All responses will be sent by email only to the address provided in your request.
While we wish we could support all of the thousands of worthy submissions we receive each year, the volume of requests is far greater than our ability to accommodate each one. We appreciate your understanding should your request be one that we are unable to support.
Please follow these specific guidelines when submitting a proposal:
Information required for proposal submission and review
- Description of organization, event and/or activity
- Specific date of event and/or activity
- Location of event and/or activity
- Specific number of tickets, dollar amount, etc.
- Intended use of requested support
- Number of people attending event and/or activity
- Specific benefits to be provided to United in return for possible support (e.g. publicity, signage recognition, logo placement, advertising, etc.)
- Name, address, phone number and email address for primary point of contact
Documents required for submission
- A copy of your organization's IRS tax-exempt letter
- List of board of directors, including affiliations
- List of other sponsors and level of their sponsorship
- Copies of any previous year's promotional materials
Limitations on eligibility
To be eligible for a contribution, an organization must be a registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization recognized by the Internal Revenue Service. Other restrictions for organizations may apply.
Types of organizations that are not eligible:
- Political organizations
- Fraternities and sororities
- Alumni associations
- Athletic teams and leagues and their booster organizations
- International organizations, unless they have a location within the U.S. and are incorporated in the U.S. as a 501(c)3 organization
- Houses of worship operating under their Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Faith-based organizations that require participants or recipients to be of a certain faith
- Evangelical organizations
- Organizations that discriminate based on faith
- Individual public or private schools
- Groups that discriminate or limit membership based on race, gender, age, beliefs, class or cultural considerations